Bonded bunnies wanting alone time

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonrain

Reaction score
Hello :)

My two bunnies are both fixed males, and both pretty close in age, although I got them at diffrent times. I had Zeus since he was very young, and Barnaby was a rehome, when I got him he was just under a year old and Zeus was just over a year.

Zeus was doing perfectly fine on his own, he loves human attention. However, Barnaby needed a new home and I took him in, thinking that maybe I could bond them, maybe not (since they are both male) but figured I would try so that they would both have a friend to hang out with when I wasn't around.

They bonded very quickly and I had no problems at all! They didn't fight at all or anything like that, there was some humping but that was about it. They've been living together, in the same cage, for about 6 months I would guess. They live indoors, in a decent sized NIC cage. I also let them out every night for at least 2 or 3 hours.

Barnaby isn't as friendly towards humans as Zeus is, he's very shy and frightens easily. I think he would much rather just hang out with Zeus all the time then people. Zeus, on the other hand, loves getting attention and will run right up to me during play time. I think Barnaby is even kind of dependent on Zeus, to the point where he follows him around almost constintly and is much more nervous when Zeus isn't close by.

Annd the problem I'm having is that I don't think Zeus always appreciates Barnabys clingyness. They never fight, they cuddle and groom all the time - but when I let them out to play Zeus usually wants to do his own thing. He doesn't care if Barnaby follows him, but he doesn't make any type of an effort to include him.

Also, I think that once in awhile Zeus just wants his own space in the cage. It's a big cage, with plenty of room for them to have some time seperated. Zeus will go to the other side of the cage, and Barnaby will follow him. Then Zeus will make his annoyed sound (he's a very vocal bunny!), and run to the other side of the cage again. It's like he's trying to get away from Barnaby. He's never violent at all, he just seems annoyed. But then 20 minutes later I'll look and they'll be grooming each other again.

Should I do anything? I don't want to seperate them because they do like each other, and I think Baraby would be severly depressed on his own. I don't have room to get another bunny right now so that's out (although I do want more in the future, when I move to a bigger place!). But I was thinking, should I give them more alone time? I could try to let Zeus out for an extra hour or so by himself, so he would have time away for Barnaby. Or I could try to get some more cubes and make the cage even bigger, even though Barnaby would still probably just follow Zeus around. I don't know if there's anything I should do to make Zeus happier (thought he doesn't seem terrably unhappy).

Has anything like this happened to anyone else with bonded bunnies? I just think it's a combination of Barnaby being to dependent, while Zeus is social and more active and also more independent.

So if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it! And sorry my post is so long! It's hard to shut me up when I get started talking about my bunnies! :biggrin2:

It really sounds like when Zeus gets let out, he just needs a little time to "do his own thing". He has Barnaby hanging around all the time that they are in their enclosure. And he is very good being his buddy all day long. Sounds like he just wants to be his normal social self when he comes out to play. (And Barnaby will just have to adjust.)

I wouldn't introduce another bunny to either of them. Barnaby just has to learn that sometimes, Zeus will binky off on his own for a few minutes. Zeus needs his time with you and Barnaby is jealous. I'd just keep doing what you are doing and let Barnaby adjust.

Can you give Zeus a shelf or special spot in the enclosure that Barnaby can't get to? So he can have "personal" time? We've all been smothered by clinging friends and relatives, and we all know how annoying it can be.

I tried setting up a shelf area, thinking it would give Zeus a place to go to get away from Barnaby, but it didn't take Barns very long to figure out how to get up on it too, so that didn't work. They both love their shelf though! :p

I just mentioned another bunny, because I would like to get more in the future, but not until I move to a bigger place. I work closly with a couple of rabbit shelters in the area and wish I could take them all home with me! But I definatly do want to adopt more, and probably foster as well, when I have the space. :) It won't matter if any others I get in the future get along with the ones I have now of course, I can just keep them seperate. But maybe if they had another bunny buddy then Zeus could get some more personal space because Barns would have another friend to annoy. I didn't mean that I would seperate Zeus and Barnaby, especially since their such good buddies, but that I would consider introducing another bunny to them in the future.

Of course they'll always have their play time, and Barnaby is starting to warm up to me more (finally), but no one else. He's usually ok if I'm the only one in the room, but as soon as someone else walks in he thumps and runs to hide. Poor guy.

Thanks for replying :)

Pernod and Shadow eventually bonded after 10 months. They do snuggle and groom each other, but I've noticed that they both like some time on their own. As they have the run of the house, one usually stays upstairs and the other goes downstairs. Somtimes it lasts half an hour, sometimes several hours.

I think BlueGiants is right, and Zeus needs time either alone, or with you, and providing an area for this will make everyone (and bun) happier :)

Jan

Yep- that's normal!

Mine are SUPER bonded, and like to do everything together, but sometimes Phinn likes to have alone time.

He was with my for a year before we got Cleo, and he went EVERYWHERE with me. He was such a lap bunny. Now every couple nights I bring him downstairs and we sit and watch tv on his favorite chair, just like the old days. He really likes it, and I think it is a necessary step to maintain our relationship. He is still a mama's boy, but has grown apart from me a little bit. He will always be my heart bunny :).

Okay, sorry, went off topic there, but yes, I think it is important to give even bonded bunnies alone time.

Yeah, ours are the same aswell! They love sleeping together all cuddled up, but they like just as much to sleep/play separately- sometimes Chalk will run upstairs and sleep or play for hours while Mouse will play with her toys downstairs. She also has a little box to hide in which she sleeps in quite a lot. I noticed when we first got them that Mouse used to follow Chalk around a lot more, but she's got a lot more independant now...

Snowy and Barney though, well they just wont be separated at all! IfBarney leaves the cage or something, Snowy justsniffs and looks around forhimfor ages, until he comes back and then they flop together! Pure bunny love!:hearts

Yeah, ours are the same aswell! They love sleeping together all cuddled up, but they like just as much to sleep/play separately- sometimes Chalk will run upstairs and sleep or play for hours while Mouse will play with her toys downstairs. She also has a little box to hide in which she sleeps in quite a lot. I noticed when we first got them that Mouse used to follow Chalk around a lot more, but she's got a lot more independant now...

Snowy and Barney though, well they just wont be separated at all! IfBarney leaves the cage or something, Snowy justsniffs and looks around forhimfor ages, until he comes back and then they flop together! Pure bunny love!:hearts

A one rabbit sized box/tunnel might work (make sure there are two entrances) also perhaps a cuddly toy that could share the Barnaby sitting duties with Zeus.

Tamsin

Latest posts

Back