Bite Wound

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyPot

Reaction score
Well, I left Oliver's door open, and neill didn't realize so he let Misty and Charlie out then went downstairs... needless to say there was a scuffle.

Lots of pulled fur, Charlie is fine, but Oliver has two small puncture wounds on his side and a small wound on his paw.

I flushed it out with saline and put polysporin (without pain meds) on it. It's the same as neosporin I think.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be doing (note to self... make a bite wounds thread in the library). I'll keep flushing it and putting stuff on it a couple times a day - any other suggestions?

Is there anything I should know to prevent abcesses or anything like that? Or just leave the wound alone and keep putting the medication on it and let it heal?

Thanks!!

Nadia

Can you tell if the puncture is deep?

Is there anything coming out (pus)? Is it really red?

I've never dealt with a body wound.

Once Toby bit all the way through Baby's ear. I just kept it clean and put a thin layer of Neosporin on it each day.

The puncture doesn't look too deep. No pus - there was a bit of dried blood on it when I found it this morning, but not a lot. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. The hole is red, but the area around it is normal.

Nadia

thanks guys - I took him to the vet, just to be safe, and here's the run down...

He has a wound on the top and bottom of his paw (Charlie chomped down on it), so that's why he didn't want to walk on it. The bites on his side.. the pucture wounds were not too deep, but they were deep enough. We shaved him up, so I have a good view of it - will take pictures later.

The vet gave him Metacam, and a shot of Duplocillin. I have to clean it with Betadine (Iodine?) and rub a Hibitane cream on it for 10 days.

She said depending on how the wound looks, she would give him another shot of antibiotics in a week...

Nadia

HoneyPot wrote:
I have to clean it with Betadine (Iodine?) and rub a Hibitane cream on it for 10 days...
Wow, that's a lot of treatment! But better to be safe than sorry!

My vet just gave me a bucketful (well, a big bottle) of Betadine for my on-going bunny war wounds, seeing as somebunny always seems to be tangling with somebunny else somewhere.

Good stuff!

Nose pats for Oliver. :pet:

(Nose bonks for Charlie). :nonono:

sas :)

Yeah I was surprised at how much medication she was giving him, but she said she wanted to give him the antibiotics to help avoid any abcesses and the metacam cause his paw was really tender... *shrug*. Can't complain about too much I guess.

Nad

Hi,

Sounds like a lot of treatment? Sounds to me like you have a very rabbit savvy vet. Most do not take bite wounds that seriously and they should be taken very seriously. Even with rabbits that are bonded...a bite injury may introduce a new bacteria or a variant of something like pasteurella that usually ends up in an infection. Your doctor really pulled out the big guns and that is nice to see. Keeping the injury flushed, treating soft tissue injury discomfort with metacam and using procaine injectable is a fantastic treatment protocol. Nice to hear of a really up to date doctor. I think you havea true "go to" doctor that really understands rabbit medicine.

Randy

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hey Nadia did you take him to the Links Clinic?

Susan:apollo:

Hey Susan - yes I did. I know you go there too - they're really good there.

Nadia

ra7751 wrote:
Hi,

Sounds like a lot of treatment? Sounds to me like you have a very rabbit savvy vet. Most do not take bite wounds that seriously and they should be taken very seriously. Even with rabbits that are bonded...a bite injury may introduce a new bacteria or a variant of something like pasteurella that usually ends up in an infection. Your doctor really pulled out the big guns and that is nice to see. Keeping the injury flushed, treating soft tissue injury discomfort with metacam and using procaine injectable is a fantastic treatment protocol. Nice to hear of a really up to date doctor. I think you havea true "go to" doctor that really understands rabbit medicine.

Randy

Thanks Randy - that's good to know!! I have trusted them with all my guys so far and have not had any complaints. They really are great there (expensive... but great).

Nadia

Update:

Oliver had his re-check today. He got another shot of Duplocillin. All except the 2 deepest wounds have healed completely.

The two left have scabbed over, but I didn't know I was supposed to be picking the scabs. :grumpy:So one of them had a tiny tiny bit of pus in it, so we got that out. The other is healing perfectly. So he got another shot, and I have new instructions to pick the scabs on the remaining two wounds.

great.

So all is going good.

Nadia

Latest posts

Back