bit of blood on spay line

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
A week ago today my 2 year old mini-lop was spayed. She had a rough time not eating at first but seemed to be all better. I let her out of her play pen yesterday because she seemed fine and I couldn't take the cat whining anymore. The two of them played a good bit during the evening.

:happyrabbit:

Today she was much quieter and when I checked her spay line it looks like a little bit of dried blood is covering part of it (perhaps 1/4 of an inch). Did she over do it last night? Should I make her stay in the play pen? Call the vet? There's nothing leaking and it's not infected. She still purred when I stroked her ears so I don't think she is in pain.

MiniLopHop wrote:
A week ago today my 2 year old mini-lop was spayed. She had a rough time not eating at first but seemed to be all better. I let her out of her play pen yesterday because she seemed fine and I couldn't take the cat whining anymore. The two of them played a good bit during the evening.

:happyrabbit:

Today she was much quieter and when I checked her spay line it looks like a little bit of dried blood is covering part of it (perhaps 1/4 of an inch). Did she over do it last night? Should I make her stay in the play pen? Call the vet? There's nothing leaking and it's not infected. She still purred when I stroked her ears so I don't think she is in pain.

ooft, be careful!!! it sounds to me like the wound is rupturing. i'd definately suggest leaving her in a more confined place. :(

Other than making her stay in the cage is there anything else I should do? I feel so guilty letting her run around too soon, she seemed so happy to get out.

yeah, I would keep her confined for another week or so. When Sweetie was spayed she wasn't allowed any activity for at least two weeks until she healed up from her spay. Also, if you don't have one, get a hay rack to put hay in for your bunny to eat. That way she doesn't rupture her incision.

Be careful and watch that incision as if she stretches it can come undone. Don't let her stretch for another week or so. Also don't put hay on the cage floor put it up in a hay rack. Hay can poke the incision and open it, and you don't want that.

How do I stop her from stretching? Even in her cage she starts the day with bunny yoga. Do I have to make her cage smaller somehow and shorter so she doesn't sit up on her hind legs?

That's just what I call it. She stretches out long and then sits up to sniff, then turns this way and that for grooming, then stretches out again. It's like she is getting all the kinks worked out from sleeping. It reminds me of a yoga class with all the stretching every way she can.

I have the grate that came for the bottom of the cage that I don't use. I guess I could put that in for a shorter top and use zip ties. I have a small fence that I use in the hall to keep her from the stairs I could use to make it smaller, but she already flipped me off and was tossing things because I shut the door to her house. I'm concerned if I make it any smaller she might hurt herself throwing a fit. Now she is banging on the bars.

Now I see what you mean by bunny yoga. That is cool actually!

Talk to her and let her know that this is only temporary and that she will be able to stretch out after she is healed.

I hate to say to make it smaller and not as tall, but if that's what it takes for just a couple days, that's what I'd do. Also, call the vet and make sure they don't need to see her to make sure the suture is still good.;) Spays are much more difficult than neuters in post care.:(

Hugs, keep us posted!

Updates? Also, what did the vet use to close the incision? Surgical glue or suture?

Becky is totally fine now. As of last night she had a tiny bit of a scab at the top of the line, but the rest has completely healed. Even her belly fur has grown back in almost to normal. She's eating and playing like nothing ever happened.

She had disolving stitches.

Thanks to everyone for their support during the stressful days.

Latest posts

Back