Binkie has chewed her dewlap

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimD

Reaction score
Binkie has chewed her dewlap up pretty good.
Not over-grooming...... it's chewed.

It's an open wound about the size of a dime.

She's done this before....after having an abscess removed from her dewlap.
The vet could only figure that it's some kind of compulsive behavioral syndrome.

It's a clean wound.
I have a collar if she continues to chew at it....and saline to flush it out....maybe some Neosporin if I've got any fingers left by then.
(I've often referred to handling Binkie as; "Grabbin' the business end of a chainsaw" :shock: )

"We're" not happy.
"We" don't need this right now.
It's a holiday weekend, and my last chance to get to the vet, before next Tuesday, would be tomorrow afternoon.
ANNND..."We're" home alone, while the rest of the family is away on vacation, too!

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers?

~Jim

PS:

Chippy is doing good!....hardly any reforming of the cyst!Going to the vet on Tuesday for a follow-up.:pray:

:shock:That sounds painful. Hopefully Binkie will let you put on some neosporin. I'll be thinking of you and Binkie. Glad to hear Chippy is doing ok.

It seems like we just had some good ideas about a soft collar but i would have to find the post. ..then again wouldn't any sort of anything around her neck irritate the sore more?

Can you take a picture of it? That might help Jim and we're :pray:for you and the buns alone on the weekend.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=17913&forum_id=10

mummybunny had a bun that chewed her dewlap..just found this under self mutilation

Oh no! It's a long time since Binkie has done this :(

Does it look like there is any irritation that's caused her to chew at it?

Why do these things always happen at the worst times!!

Thinking of you

Jan

Jim, I had a White Flemish Doe (that I got from Michigan!) that did the same thing. Her hole was about 3" across! Very Nasty! We got it to heal with Vanodine flushes (won't tell you what THAT did to her white coat! But no infection!) and neosporin. The collar was a necessary for a week. Also gave her Metacam. Vet prescribed a Valium derivitive tokeep her calmer. Kept her confined for the week, so she couldn't fight with the collar.

(She did repeat over the next year, though and the third time it was so bad she didn't make it.) I'm sorry for you and Binkie. I do hope it heals quickly. If you ever hear of a reason behind this behavior, I'd be very interested. (My vet also suspected it's an obsessive/compulsive behavior.)

I had to get up to walk the dogs, so I figured I'd check in and update....as long as I had to get up so early anyways :grumpy:

Binkz is doing okay. Looks like she may have chewed at it a little more.
It still looks clean.... and dry.:?
She pulled some fur around it, so I got a good look just now.
No swelling or signs of infection.
It looks like it could heal up ok on it's own...IF she'd leave it alone.

The vet was already gone for the holiday when I called on Friday....and won't be back until Tuesday.
I've already got an appointment for Chippy on Tuesday, so I may switch buns.
I only have the one carrier, otherwise I'd take them both.

It's raining...I think I'll goback to sleep for a bit.:yawn:

It looks pretty good today.

She pulled more fur around it, but doesn't look like she's chewed it any more.
Almost looks like it's healing.

I'm going to hold off on taking her to the vet.

Latest posts

Back