Best Rabbit Food?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may not be that Theo is sensitive to the pellets, but that those pellets have a contaminant or toxin making Theo sick. And continuing to feed them could not only continue causing him to get sick but could possibly result in irreparable internal damage and even possibly be fatal. If there is any chance that those pellets are the cause of him continually getting sick, please stop feeding them immediately.

Something that you don't understand about bulk feeds like that is they don't always use quality ingredients, which means there is a higher likelihood of something going wrong with them. There are instances where contaminants or toxic amounts of vitamins have been inadvertently added during the mixing process and this has resulted in causing permanent organ damage and the death of hundreds of rabbits that were given the feed.

It happened in my state a few years ago where toxic levels of vit D caused the death of hundreds of rabbits due to causing organ failure, and I also have a friend who's rabbits were adversely affected by a bad batch of feed with toxic levels of vitamin A, where either her does couldn't get pregnant, or when they finally did, all of her newborn baby rabbits died within the first few weeks from hydrocephalus and other symptoms of vit A toxicity. These things don't happen frequently, but they do and can hapoen, and need to be taken very seriously.
Thank you! I have taken him off of the pellets and I will not be buying this brand again.

I'd also like to second what @zuppa stated. It is recommended for a first time bunny owner to get an already fixed rabbit from a rabbit rescue instead of a baby. There are multiple reasons for this, as zuppa has noted. It may be easy to dismiss this thought because the idea of a baby rabbit is so appealing (not knowing what's in store), but I would encourage you to seriously consider this option.

There have been several times over the years on this forum where a member disregarded this advice and then, months later, admitted that they really wished they had gone with an older rabbit. Here is some more on that topic:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/choosing-your-first-bunny.html
I totally agree! My male and female are so different than my 4 month old baby..he chews everything, he honks at me and nips my ankles when I'm inside his area..the adults are so much better behaved...all have different personalities for sure.. He is into everything! Such a little buggar right now lol
None of them like to be held, but love pets. Other than the baby...he doesn't care.

Back