Behaviour of baby angora - Normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow a 4wk old bun is young...i got mine he wasabout 3 mo.....and real active...i have seen them in a pet shop at 5wksof age. If that was my bun i think id take him to a vet evenif he dont appear ill just to get a good clean bill of health...i'dfind a vet whohas experience in buns. Good luck w/ your bunkeep us posted.

I'm not an expert,although there are many experts on the boards who will be able to helpmore. However, I think that the several times you visited the pet storebefore and saw the rabbit acting this way would be a good indicatorthat there is something wrong. Maybe the rabbit is too young. If you'veseen another in another shop that was much more active and about thesame age, then it's possible that the rabbit is ill. What made youchoose the one you did? I wouldn't give up on your bun. Give him someextra pets for me. :)

Am I misunderstanding what happened? Inyour other post made previously, I thought you said both Angora babieshad died? Did you buy another one?

Pam

matwheels,

First of all, I think you got the bunny at a way to young age....youshould have asked them to keep the bunny for you until the bunny was atleasteightweeks old. (if they do keep bunnies onhold). I have one french angora rabbit and when we first got him he was10 weeks old, and would have his eyes half open whenever he wasrelaxed, sleepy or when feeling hot in the summer. Your bunny mightfeelscared to be away from its mother so early so that is onereason your bunny might not be moving around as much. And also he mightfeel sleepy, cause he is so young. But usually young bunnies are veryactive which confuses me a bit. I would ask your vet about it. Causethere could be a good possibility that your bunny has an illness. Welllet us know how itgoes.Good luck with your bunny!

Cassandra

I'm sorry that you lost your rabbits, and eventhough you say you feel you didn't know enough about them, it doessound like you tried your best.

Stick around here and read our posts, everyone here is very helpful. Wehave several here who are experts and will answer your questions. Iencourage you to learn as much as you can, as rabbits are veryrewarding pets and well worth it. I know now I will always have rabbitsas pets, in addition to my cats (contrary to popular belief, cats andrabbits live very well together. My rabbits groom my cats and viceversa.)

matwheels wrote:
It's the first time I have rabbits for pets. I'mguessing and from feedback from petshop that he's about 4 weeks plusminus. My palm is able to cover him. Angora are very rare here so whenI saw those two cute bunnies I had to have them although they appearremote. Anyhow the other petshops didn't have white young angoras andthere is really isn't much choice here.

Iwasn't sure babies were meant to be active or rather remoteso I asked. The have just been separated from their parents and placedinthe petshop for about a week when I bought them. They mayhave difficuly adjusting to the new environment. I'm assuming now thatbaby bunnies shoud be active hopping energically instead of moving in aweak manner like mine.

Yes, both of these angoras have died within 3 days bought from thepetshop. I suppose that they we're too young and weak at the same timeand the new environment and my lack of handling knowledge may havecontribute to their earlier departure (see my earlier post on thedetails).

As I understand later from research, these bunnies were too young to besold and I have informed the petshop owner about this matter and askedfor another pair in the future that's at least 2 months old. It seemsbaby bunnies are very fragile compared to hamsters, fishes and puppiesthat I have and I didn't realise this earlier...
I totally understand. It is certaintly a challenge to be a first timebunny owner. And believe me....If I saw those cute little angorabunnies I would have bought them too;) Angora bunnies areVERY rare here in London/Ontario also. I just wish the bunnieswere sold at a older age and they wouldn't have died on you. Well ifyou have anymore questions feel free to ask me or any other member onthe forum anytime. Therefore, I am anangoralover;)

Cassandra

Latest posts

Back