Behavior of 5 month old Male when shown the new "addition"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbunbinkie

Reaction score
Merlin's new friend came home today... a 4 month old Dutchie doe named Marina. She could care less about him, but he seemed interested in her.

Neither one of them are fixed, but they both will be. They are NOT being housed together, allowed out together, none of that. I do NOT want/plan to breed them for any reason ever. Merlin has an appointment to be neutered next week, and I do plan on spaying Marina once she settles in a bit. I have her set up in Merlin's old cage and have it 8 inches or so away from his condo. It has a plastic dish like botom that is solid about 7 inches up, and then the cage wire starts.

So I am a bit confused as to his behavior, it is probably completely normal and expected but Im new at this bonding/having two bunnies thing. Here is what went down today when they "met":

When I let him out, he went over to her and sat just outside of her cage and watched her for a moment. He did a quick circle around the side and then did a HUGE dead bunny flop right next to the side of the cage where she was sitting. (There is solid plastic around the bottom, about 8-9 inches up, then the cage part starts.) He popped back up and did it again a few more times.Marina casualy sniffed at Merlin and he lunged at her, growling and scratching out with his front feet. Since then he has carried on his usual attitude, playing in my room and will only stop by to sort of say "hi" and then he's off again.

What does this mean? I know he's going to be "hormonaly driven" and act like he's interested, even for a while after his neuter and I know to keep him away from her for a couple weeks (and in that time I plan to have her spayed).

Marinais also thumping at me when I go toward her to pet her. Is she just scared cause she's in a new place?

Please help....dumb mommy:dunno

I'm excited you got a new bunny friend for Merlin, especially since it's a baby dutch! Pics please!

I wanted to say that unaltered bunnies can get each other pregnant through cage bars, not to mention bite and scratch (unaltered ones can do that too, of course). So be careful, and I'd put up a double gate with a little space between the two gates so there's NO way they can get to each other, at least until they're fixed. We have a set of two baby gates up to keep Tony from biting Benjamin.

As for the behavior, it sounds potentially good, but you really can't tell because they're both unfixed. A rabbit's personality can change a lot when they get fixed, and some bonded same-sex couples have been known to "un-bond" following a fixing. It seems that the rabbit's scent changes a lot because of the operation, and being "ill" while they recover can make them a less suitable companion (you know, a leave the weak and sick ones for the predators type-mentality). So, it sounds like they might like each other, but I dont' think you can really tell since they're both unaltered.

Good luck!

and PICS!! :biggrin2:

Here are some quickies I snapped of Marina just now. She has just made her place at home, but she still seems fearful of me when I go in to pet her. Once I'm petting her she eats it up. Here she is:

Marina-July2.jpg

Marina-July4.jpg

Marina-July3.jpg

Marina-July1.jpg

I really hope her and Merlin can be buddies. I really didn't have room for another bunny in my room, so I got rid of a bunch of stuff and my boyfriend made a two story condo that Merlin is now happily living in. I would have been happy with just Merlin, but I think he may be happier with a friend, especially when I'm away.

He is probably just letting her know that he is the boss!!

SHe is adorable :DWhen I brought my dutch JB home it took him a week to settle down now its trying to calm him down lol!! just give her plenty of settling in time. I felt the dutch were a lot more stressy and shy than my nethies are when tehy come home for the first time ;)

Aw, Marina is so sweet! Skyler is a Dutchie too and his facial structure looks similar to hers. Where did you get her from? She's so pretty :inlove: That's a great sign that she's letting you pet her already! Skyler is the friendliest little guy, but he wouldn't come out of his carrier for a good 12 hours, didn't really like being petted and was nervous for the first couple days. After he settled in a bit, his sweet personality came out. I'll bet Marina is a super sweet girl since she already likes being petted!

Um, anyway, sorry about the derail. Like the others said, just wait until they're both fixed before trying to guess if they'll get along or not. 3 of my 4 bunny introductions have involved at leas 1 very angry bunny trying to "get" the other one, but Skyler and Tallulah impressed me by being very sweet with each other through the cage bars even though neither had been fixed yet. I hope Merlin and Marina will become buddies, but remember to wait 6 weeks after neutering Merlin to make sure he is completely infertile!

Thanks!!! She is pretty cute, I must say! I got her from Alpine Acres Rabbitry in Inverness Florida. Here is their website:

http://www.alpineacresrabbitry.com

Two more questions.... Is it goging to be easier/better to bond them when the time comes a month or two from nowbecause they will be "use to" each other? Or will waiting longer to have a real "meeting" cause problems? I wanted to wait until Merlin was completely ready (neutered and all "clear") but too many things jumped out at me and said, you HAVE to take this rabbit!!!! So I did :) She reminds me alot of Oliver... I guess Dutchies all seem to be a little timid and shy... or so it seems like. She has warmed up to me loads already so thats exciting.

YAY for two bunnies!

PSI love your post about this as I've been "toying" w/the idea of getting my bun a "friend" or "girlfriend and was wondering how "the first date" would go..

So please keep updating on the progression and what you find works and what does not..

I have my fingers crossed for you!! :D

PS: I am such a newbie bun owner I can't offer suggestions, but am happy to offer support as you go through it!

So Merlin and Marina had another meeting through the wire... and neither seemed happy about it at first.

They sniffed each other, nose to nose for a second or two then both of them jumped up and clawed/bit out at each other. Merlin must have nipped Marina in the lip (OOOOwwwweeee) cause I noticed a small blood blister like mark on her wittle lippy. I seperated them right away and put Merlin back in his house. Not as punishment, but because I had to leave the room for a moment anyways.

Later on they had more nose to nose meetings, but none of them resulted in a fight or bad "vibes". Is this a good sign? I hope so.

Marina seems to be a bit calmer, I let her roam around the room for about 10 minutes. She's not litter trained so Im limiting her space/time right now so as not to confuse her with a big space. She seems to be doing quite well with it so far. I brought her outside for some playtime and she acted like she had never been outside before, scared to absolute death. Well have to start slow there too I think.

I am new to bonding, but also new with having a doe bunny. Marina thumps at me sometimes when Im putting hay in her box or sweeping up her house. I know they can get mad if you move things but neither one of the two bucks I had/have ever did anything like that. She isn't growling but she is making a noise and then thumping and running around the thing she doesn't like in a circle.

I know it may sound ridiculous but Im worried Merlin is upset. He still acts the same with me, plays, binkies etc. I guess im just paranoid thatmy wittle Merlie isn't happy. When I talk to people at my work about Merlin they call me the "crazy bunny lady"...I can't say I blame them.:D

Latest posts

Back