behavior after a neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplepeacock

Reaction score
Liffey was castrated a week ago. before the big event he was chewing and digging more.....and of course he humped the hay ball. but since i brought him home a week ago he's chewing EVERYTHING!!! he (in this week alone) destroyed 7 branches (each about maybe 3 inches). his chew tunnel is one hot mess. his litter pan is.....well it's still there but he's been trying to chew thru that. he wants to be held all the time but only to chew thru all your clothes. and he's been eating like crazy. he's 7 months and at the vet he weighed 2.8 lbs.....he's a lop. i've always just filled his dish and he always has hay and his food last awhile. every couple of days i add a little more. but now.....he's just eating and eating and eating and CHEWING!!! it all started after the surgury. any thought??? also, how much bigger will he get. he's such a little peanut now but....well....i'm wondering if he's gonna pork up to a bigger size.

becca

Did he have pain relief for a few days after his surgery? Has he had a post op check? I'm wondering if pain might be doing this?

Also, it will take a while for his hormones to wane and so he will still exhibit that male behaviour.

Has anything changed in his world? Like is he in different accommodation at the moment or anything like that?

i don't think he's in pain now. i don't think he'd eat if he was in pain. and he wouldn't be jumping all over the place either. he was stuck in a small cage for the first 2 days after he got home but he's been back in the pen since wednesday. i could understand if he was like this before the surgury but it's only been since.

Bo has always been a chewer since he was about that age (when we got him neutered).... it could just be a coincidence

Pain wise bunnies hide it, and will carry on until they can carry on no more. Hopefully he is not in pain anymore, but if he is then he is probably has a problem.

It may also be that he is annoyed at you for what you did to him, lol.

he was REALLY MAD about being in the smaller cage. which made me laugh b/c it's the biggest cage you can get in the store so compaired to other poor rabbits...his sick cage is someone else's luxary!! he's not chewing today. i don't really care if he chews or not i just didn't know if there was something he was trying to tell me since it's been such an ongoing thing lately.

how big do you think he'll get if he's 2.8 lbs now at 6 months? he might be 7 months.

Yep, sounds like he was ticked off at you about the cage! LOL! they're such boogers!

I bet he'll only gain another 1/2 pound at most. Little bunnies are full sized I think around 9 mos.

Back