Bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamichu

Reaction score
I keep getting different kinds of bedding because it gets stuck to my lil
bunnies fur especialy since their lionheads with lots of fuz! Is there any
kinda bedding that wont stick to them? Also ill just add this in.. I want to litter
train them they are 8weeks old ...how can i start this?:?

You can start litter training now. As they are young, they will probably not be 100% for a few months. If they are using one corner or area of the cage to go, just put the litter box there. It will take time, but you can definitely start now.

I have a lionhead (Penny) and an Angora (Sean). Both are litter trained. I use fleece blankets in the cage. I do wash them as needed.

I would use old towels or blankets as bedding, especially as your buns are not yet litter trained. It can help litter train them as they don't have the litter in the whole cage and it doesn't stick to the fur.

When I got my new babies at 6 wks old, they weren't littered trained. I have a huge cage so I had 3 litter boxes in the 3 corners. Depending how big your cage is, use more than one litterbox. I use the Oxbow Bedding(can't think of name). I buy it at the vet's office. I think called Oxbow Eco- Straw. I love it but it's kinda expensive. My baby buns were peeing in the litter boxes the same day. If they happen to pee out of the box, I'd soak it up with a paper towel and then put the paper towel in litterbox.

It's been a few weeks and they pee all the time in the litter boxes but they still poo outsideof it. Just a little, not much. I'm down to 2 litterboxes now.If they poo outside of the box, just pick it up and put it in the litterbox.

On the bottom of my cage I have cardboard and rugs for traction. If you use towels, just watch that the bunny doesn't eat the towel.

Hope this helps. :) April

PS) Since theres litter in the litter boxes don't put bedding down in their cages. That will just confuse them. On another thread someone was using litter in the box and then using something else forthe bedding. When they stopped using the bedding, it helped cause they were confusing the bunny. :biggrin2:

Instead of using bedding, you could buy a bed for your bunnies.

kinda looks like this. My bunnies like it.

*** At the top when I say Oxbow Bedding. It's Oxbow Eco- Straw Litter. Sorry.

I have a lionhead and I use yesterdays news and it never seems to stick to her fur.

Thank you everybody! I'm going to get a couple of litter boxes and stop
using bedding for their whole cage. I will use cardboard and towels and
buy a lil bed for them. So should i use bedding for their litter boxes?

Buy some kind of litter for their litter boxes. I use expensive stuff but you can find cheaper. If you use towels, just make sure they don't eat them . If their peeing on the towels instead of in the litter boxes, stop using the towels.

:)April

If you can afford the Oxbow Eco Straw Litter. That's what I suggest.

**Do not use pine or cedar

Most of us on here use wood pellet litter. I buy feline pine, but there are others available.

I also put a plastic stitching screen on top of the litter. This keeps the poops on top and easier to clean up while letting the pee fall through.
It'll also keep the bedding off of their fur.

MissyCove- Where i live i couldn't find the wood pellets. I used them when I adopted my first bunny(in Mich)cause I got them in Michigan. I just recently heard about the screen thing. The bunnies don't mess with the screen?

Put some hay in their litter boxes. So while their eating, they'll go poo and pee in their boxes. That helped me train them too. :biggrin2:

One of my bunnies, Timmy, will chew on his screen. Fiona completely ignores hers.

I just buy them 10 at a time and when he nibbles his, I'll get him a new one. He doesn't eat it, just chews pieces off.

Latest posts

Back