Bedding/flooring for cage.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellexgix

Reaction score
Ok, I have asked this question alot of times before as I still haven't got a proper answer LOL.

But, I am switching to a big c&c cage in a few weeks, I have the things ordered, grids and coroplast just waiting for them to arrive as Im in Ireland and they have to be shipped in ;(

But anyhow, I am using woodshavings, I have no idea what to use when I get my big cage.

People say that you dont use bedding, so does that mean the rabbit is on top of the coroplast? Is that ok? Would it not be too slippery? If so please tell me what I can put on top of this.

I tired fleece in the past, he ended up at the vets as he got sick as hes a biter and ate the fluff from it ;(

Anyone help me out?

you can use just coroplast, or you can get stick on tiles or laminated stuff or carpet. you can use almost anything. even blankets if you want. Dante is currently on just coroplast but i'm planning to switch to heating tiles for the winter and heating it up before bed and when i wake up and such. that or laminate wood pieces or stone of some sort. the coroplast isn't as slippery as it looks lol. Dante has no problem with it. if your worried about it, you can always take those bathtub anti-slip mats and tape them together to make a large sheet and use that..

See Cooper is a bitter, I used fleece in his pet store cage and didnt work out. He got sick from it.
Would carpet not be the same?
I was thinking tiles but would they not get to cold during the winter?
So would the coroplast just be ok by it self?

we use tiles, wood and carpet. One of ours is a real chewer, so she doesn't get any carpet--we use a grass mat which gets consumed like the carpet did, but it's a natural product so no worries about trips to the vet. Wood shavings and shredded newspaper in the potty boxes.

yea coroplast is ok by its self, but it's a bit of an eye sore >.< lol any time you want to fix the eye sore thing though just go to the nearest home depot and get the flimsy stick-on's that are supposed to look like tile lol. i had it in my bathroom at one point and it wasnt too cold. besides, rabbits are ok in the cold (as long as it's not extreme) and do better then when it's overly warm.

pretty much...

coroplast = yes
tile = yes
blankets = yes (as long as bunny doesn't chew)
wood = yes (just dont let bunny pee on it. wood will absorb and rot)
stick-on tiles = yes
grass mats = yes
shavings = yes (if you have enough and a lip coming from the floor to stop the stuff from going all over..)
carpet = yes (once again if bunny dont chew

and if i'm missing anything else someone can fill in lol

also, just give bunny lots of stuff to chew on and to play with and he should leave other things alone. chewing is usually a display of boredom..

I have a lot of toys in the cage, and have tried alot of toys outside the cage. He just will not play with ANYTHING I give him. All he wants to do is come out and explor the place!
Thanks for all that :)

Do you think if I just get some vinyl tiles and lay them down that would be fine? Would it need to be secured down or is it ok just layed there?
I would get some grass matts then and lay them down in some places.
Sound ok?

yes all of that is fine, except you may want to secure the tiles down, so that they dont slip around. you can stick them right onto the coroplast. another reason you may wanna secure them is if bunny is a chewer, he may go right for it lol

Do you really think a rabbit could move a tile just laeft on the coroplast? I didnt think they would be that strong LOL

Im really worried that the tiles would be too cold though, The c&c cage will be in my bedroom I supose and I have a heater (one I can turn on whenever I wish if it does get too cold, so I wont let it get too warm in the room) but I supose the grass mats should help.

So am I looking for grass mats for animals or is it just a mat made out of grass for people use if you get me? LOL

Oh and I was thinking of using Lino in his 'kitchen' area. What do you think?

Back