Bare with me I am new at this

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwess75

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Donna and I haveinherited 2 dwarf bunnies. My daughter had gotten them at college andafter they were home on Christmas break and I found out that Annabel(the female) was pregent I told her to leave them home till the kitsarrived. Well she had 4 kits and only one survived...:(

I found a vet that specializes in rabbits and have an appointment forthe 28th to get my male Baby (named when my daughter thought he was agirl) neutered. I am nervous about it but want to have them backtogether because they are so in love with each other.

I have fallen head over heals in love with them and don't plan on giving them back to my daughter anytime soon!!:p

Hi Dwess, and welcome to theforum,

Doyou have any clue as to how old theyare?They really shouldn't be younger than 4-5months old; some vets prefer you wait untilthey're at least 5months.

I don't blame you for being nervous. We all are when ourrabbits have tohave anesthesia; just be sure you have a goodrabbit vet.So often, these operations come out withhigh success rates with a rabbit-savvy vet.

I'll going to bring up a post entitled"Looking foraRabbit Veterinarian."Check it over andask your vet as much as youcan before theygoin. Don't hesitate to interview them as to theirknowledge of rabbits. Not all doctors will spay.Some might tell you you have to go elsewhere, as you probably alreadyknow by now.

-Carolyn

Thanks, that's exactly how I found the vet !! Idid ask the nurse and she said they see a lot of rabbits and wentthrough everything step by step for me and made me feel much better.

Maybe you can tell me this when can you touch a kit? Annabel had onelast Thursday. She comes to me and lets me hold her but I have beennervous about going near the baby.

You can and should handle the baby daily from the time they're born. Rabbits are not like animals that will abandon their young.

Check daily to ensure the baby is well fed (round belly) and is warm.But other than that I don't think it's recommended to do much morehandling.

dwess75 wrote:
Ihave fallen head over heals in love with them and don't plan on givingthem back to my daughter anytime soon!!:p

LOL! Good call! Bunnies are awesome! You still have the one baby also? What will you do with it?

I should finish reading the thread before posting! :p I seethe baby is brand spankin new :) Love thosewrigglies!

Oh, photos are encouraged on this site :)

Someone told me to pet the mommy first.That way, her scent is on you and the baby.... plus it's a good thingfor the mommy to get love first...... at least I think so :)

I know a cat that if I go in and pet the dog before him, he'll bite me LOL.

Anyhow, just cup your hand and pick the baby up. You do need to check his little tummy.

You know that mommy will only feed about 2 x a day?

Thanks I was worried she wasn't feeding the babyenough. I keep teeling her she should be snuggling with her baby andfeeding him/her. I used to breed Golden retrievers and am used to themom always feeding the puppies... LOL I guess the more I talk to all ofyou the more I will learn...

Yeah, bunnies are different. Mommies inthe wild stay away from the nest to keep predators out. So,she will feed usually early in the morning and late in the evening.

It's good to check the baby sometime in the morning so you can see if the tummy is rounded.

Make sure there is noplace for the little baby to get out of the cageaccidently. They tend to start wondering around the cagereally early and without their eyes even open.

They make some kinda kit guard for that.

You don't have the buck in with mom and baby do you? That can be really dangerous.

No I took him out. He is very lonely without herthough. I have an appointment to neuter him next week. I found a vet 45minutes away thatI found on this web site and doesa lot of Bunnies. When can the male go back with the female?

I have a big play yard I put them in (seperatly now). My son madehouses out of boxes for them to go in and out of they just love it....

Believe it or not, males can keep a storage ofhormones and actually can impregnate a female for several weeks afterhe is neutered!!!!

You should wait 6 weeks or more to put him back with mommy.Someone I know said it was about 13 weeks for their bunny boy to gethis hormones back to normal, but I think the concern for pregnancy is 4to 6 weeks. Someone here should be able to clarify thatbetter...... *coughpamnockorgabbycough*

Good Work with all your help, Bo!

Dwess,

Keep thebaby!

-Carolyn

Thanks everyone, Carolyn your right I probablywont be able to part with that baby ;). I am starting to feel like Dr.Doolittle. I have a Golden Retriever> Brute, a Bijon >Pepe,a cat >marbles, The Bunnies >Annabel andBaby , and 2 hemit crabs...LOL and I love it!!!! I will send picturessoon......

Latest posts

Back