Bare bottomed cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momto3boys

Reaction score
So I started out with shavings in Snickers cage, but he digs all the shavings out of his favorite corner then sleeps on the bare cage bottom so I thought, hmmmm let's try blankets....

Well same thing, he bunches them all up and moves them and again sleeps on the bare bottom of the cage.

So what do you guys use for your cages? I'm thinking about buying him a mat then he can have the option of the mat or the bare bottom since the mat won't cover the whole thing but is that safe?

What do you guys all use?

I just use the vinyl sticky tiles on the bottom. No need to use shavings or anything, especially if you are going to litter train them. Muppet gets so warm so quickly, that she spends as much time as possible on her sticky tiles or on the ceramic tiles in our bathroom.
Then you can just put a small blanket or grass mat in there for them to lay on if you want.

For some, we use grass mats. There is also small pieces of carpet or wood. A couple of ours like their litter pans. Kind of a "wheel of fortune" when it comes to bunnies and what they like. Mr. used to have a small cat bed that he just loved--sure do miss our little boy.

I put something over the stick on tiles because they were too slippery - AND it was hard on his feet - he started getting bare spots on his feet. I covered the flooring material with foam puzzle pieces and a blanket near the front where he sits a lot (he,s a chewer and he has chewed it a bit but not too much). I bought him a bed too - he hated it and went back to laying on the floor.

Well it's a solid bottom cage so I'm definately not putting sticky tiles on it...

He is already litter box trained, so I guess I'll just leave it a bare bottom, it just doesn't look comfy at all.

i tried the cat bed for mine also because they just lay on the tiles. They both hate the cat bed, they either try to use it as a litter box or spend time pushing it out of the cage. Then i tried a blanket and then they do a "dung beetle" impersonation and roll that out of the cage as well.....bare tile floor it is.....:?

I have carpet in mine. I just buy a cheap rectangle piece. The dollar store in my area sells them for under $2.00. I like that they are easy to clean. I will take them out and spray them with the hose or use my steam cleaner on them if a bun has an accident. Just be careful they don't eat them. Mine have always left the carpet alone. But a blanket or a bed, they tear to shreds.

Well, seeing as commercial cages be be quite unconventional pushing all his things around like that might be his form of stimulation while you're out or sleeping. I kept Acacia in a dog crate for the first few months I had her and I will never again cage another animal. How big is the cage you have?
I use NIC like a bible, Kaysh has the closet as her 'area' of my room. While I am home she has free roam, while I'm out or asleep she is closed in but there are levels (I built it 4 feet high) and she has tonnes to do ^^
As for a solution to the bottom of the cage, something that has traction would be best. Stick down something that will not let his feet slip everywhere.

all my buns have dif things in their cages..u get to know them and learn who likes what where...for grippy bottoms i use the stick on doodads that go in ur tub ..make sure all edges are stuck down and they wont even know where to start chewing..so they leave it alone...i also use the tread tape ..which is like light sandpaper/...files their back toenails down when they jump too..:)..i also use grass matts that i ziptie to the cage so they dont get FLUNG around everywhere...
in angels cage she has splay leg so i need her to be able to grip as much as possible..but she hates anything warm..so i got a plastic thing that goes under ur computer desk chair..and drilled holes thru the whole thing...so all the icky stuff falls thru and she doesnt slip with all the holes....its also cuz shes a digger...so whatever falls to the floor goes into the holes so she doesnt have anything to FLING out at her angry neighbor...shes a spunky one i tell ya....i have more grippy ideas ,just cant think of em right now..ill go lookie at all the cages and be back later...:)

Latest posts

Back