balding on the bottom of back feet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
Benny is not one that likes to be man handled or held, but on occasions i can do it. So today i put him and Belle in the bathroom fo their bonding session and i noticed as he was hopping away that it looked like something red on the bottom of his back foot. So i was able to wrangle him and he let me flip him on his back , and cradle him like a baby, and i was able to look at his feet and the hair is starting to come off, and on his on heel there is a round cut looking thing. Under neath what hair is there it is irratated looking, not horribly red but reddish.

The information

Benny is a Rex rabbit, he is a lil over a year, he is in a 3 x 2 NIC cage, with coroplast for the flooring and i have a piece of fleece over it coroplast, his litter pan is a x-large cat pan with horse pellets for the bottom and hay on top.

So what should i do? should i be worried? should i take the coro away and just leave my carpet underneath him (he doesnt pee outside his box) and put the fleece down ontop of that?

Bo has trouble too and I keep fleece blankies in his cage. He uses the litterbox and if his hocks are particularly sore, I will even put fleece on top of his litter.

If it's really red and inflamed, I have used wraps of vetwrap, fleece and neosporin or prep H. Granted, you have to be careful not to get the vetwrap too tight and Bo likes to take his little "booties" off.......

can i put this stuff on without the wrap, and i cant see him letting me do that,lol. i know i have used neosporin on Belle and Sooty in the past and just put it on thin? do you think i should take the coro out? i just worry about him chewing my carpet,lol

you can try just the neosporin first if you wish and see if that helps; it sounds like the beginning of sore hocks so you don't want it to progress and will want to keep your eye on it.
I have also used bag balm on sore hocks

Storm has contast sore hocks I cant seem to get rid of them he only walks on my normal carpet. I just check them once a week for very imflamed looking my vet said they could end up getting infected. So I check but they stay about the same.

I clean his little box every day and he has a grete over it so he is not standing in his own pee.

i will have to get a grate for over his box and change it more often and see if that helps. I will have to see if i can get a pic and show everyone so you could tell me if i should treat it or not now. I will defintely keep an eye on it.

I have seen udderly smooth cream being suggested , what has everyone else used and what stuff worked best for you?
I have seen suggestions for using Prep H, udderly smooth, bag balm, neosporin, so what is everyones preference?

I agree that it sounds like the beginning of sore hocks and udder cream is best. I have also heard of using preparation H. I like to keep my guys feet out of wet litter entirely by putting plastic canvas in the litterbox--it really helped with Ben and Frida.

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
Benny is not one that likes to be man handled or held, but on occasions i can do it. So today i put him and Belle in the bathroom fo their bonding session and i noticed as he was hopping away that it looked like something red on the bottom of his back foot. So i was able to wrangle him and he let me flip him on his back , and cradle him like a baby, and i was able to look at his feet and the hair is starting to come off, and on his on heel there is a round cut looking thing. Under neath what hair is there it is irratated looking, not horribly red but reddish.

The information

Benny is a Rex rabbit, he is a lil over a year, he is in a 3 x 2 NIC cage, with coroplast for the flooring and i have a piece of fleece over it coroplast, his litter pan is a x-large cat pan with horse pellets for the bottom and hay on top.

So what should i do? should i be worried? should i take the coro away and just leave my carpet underneath him (he doesnt pee outside his box) and put the fleece down ontop of that?
our little rex,s have thin layer of fur under them toes,,weight of the critter can be crucial..the weight placement on the rear feet general shows -in stages-as a worn spot,then-red,then redder,,then bloody and impared walking,,..i have 3 rex,s and they are on restricted pellet diet just for their rear feet,,i have used betadine,antiseptic until i got their weight under control,,with the fiber(hay)timothy/orchard grass...hope this helps...james waller:wave:

Latest posts

Back