Bald patch on Angora doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My mom and I were plucking her Angora doe last night and when I started o her right back leg i found this.
IMG_20180807_180520.jpg
It has little red dots all over it, and it is hot to the touch. She is also loosing hair on her side. She is almost two years old,not pregnant or nursing. Could it be mange? I made sure that everyone that touched her washed their hands and arms up to their elbows in hot water and soap just in case.

I was coming on here for the first time in years to ask about my recent rescue, an angora. He has mites and has bald patches from it. I was brushing him (he’s pretty matted) and entire chunk of fur came out almost at once leaving another bald patch. I’m thinking it’s from the mites(mange). Does your bun have a lot of dandruff? I know that’s a sign of them and mine has a ton

Heat would imply that there is inflammation from something, possibly an infection or an injury can cause inflammation and heat. Unless the heat coming from the skin occurred from too vigorous of plucking(from you or her doing it herself) which could result in temporary skin irritation and heat. Mites cause dandruff, lesions, crusting, and/or skin irritation, they won't cause heat. Which means if there is still heat from the area, it's important to get your bun seen by a knowledgeable rabbit vet right away.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

If the heat is gone now and there appears to be no sign of injury or illness, if there are signs of skin irritation it could be mites. It could also be she plucked out her own fur possibly from a false pregnancy and that caused the skin irritation and balding.

Latest posts

Back