Bald patch - need advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sal,

I am really concerned here and don't mean to be blunt or rude....and I fully understand your frustration about your rabbit's condition....but there are a lot of things to consider when using drugs and while I also understand what you are doing....you could easily be headed down a bad road. I did some research and it appears that maybe the product you are using is something like "One Spot". Regardless, Ivermectin isa very dangerous drug in rabbits if used improperly. It's a complicated explanation but the botton line comes down to the fact that you are using a toxin....an insecticide really....and if it's toxic to the parasites, it can be toxic to your rabbit. Dosing is critical especially with trans-dermal medication. There are always....and I do mean always.....side effects to using any drug and all possibilities must be taken into consideration.You have to beconcerned with absorbtionrates and retention rates. What else could this drug react with? Even food is a consideration.And just because a package says safe and appropriate for rabbits...again, there is much more to be considered.

Those of us, especially me, that offer advice in the infirmary offer this advice only as a pointto discuss with your vet. We are not professionals and we are not there....a hand's on physical exam is essential in diagnosing most medical issues. The person that is in the best position to make decisions isyour vetand I highly suggest that if you are not totally familiar with all the little twists and turns involved in dosing medication of any type to any living being that you allow the professionals to offer their decision to you....then it's up to you to decide. I use drugs that are "outside the box" so I know all the things that need to be considered. And I run all my ideas by the professionals....and in my case most of my vets are professors at a major vet school. I have several rabbits that have been harmed by things like this when untrained people, with the best of intentions, use drugs or treatments that caused harm. I urge you to reconsider your current treatment and seek the advice of a rabbit savvy vet. Print the responses in this thread and discuss them with your vet...but please let your doctor assist you in making treatment decisions especially when it involves such a potentially dangerous drug.

And I would also like to warn anyone that reads this post...do not play with drugs. Don't play with the drugs, the dosing or anything related to it. Unless you have the knowledge and experience....there is far too great a down side. I see so many times that someone says their rabbit was given a certain amount of a drug....but all drugs with the same name are not created equal. I have two different concentrations of Metacam here....one version is three times stronger than the other....and there is another version that is ten times as strong. That makes a huge difference in the actual amount dosed. Some drugs can have tragic reactions to other drugs that my not be widely known. I have heard of people giving a steroid and Metacam at the same time and that creates gastric ulcers nearly every time. Some drugs are safe only as an injectable. And it took me a long time to master the metric system which all drugs are calculated. A misplaced decimal point can be fatal. Again, I ask that you don't play with drugs. Always have a professional help you with those decision.

Hoping things work out well.

Randy

Hey guys!

I absolutely understand your concern. And I did check with my vet before I apply it.
She said it's fine to go ahead. So that's why I did.
Sorry for letting go all the false alarm!

Kenji has appeared to be much more active today. He started to do some of his usual tricks which he has not done for a long long time, which I almost can't recall until he did it.

Sal

I'm glad that you checked with your vet . We had no way of knowing ..
I'm glad that your bun is fine .. andalso it will be interesting to know if it helps him :D

Hi everyone,

Came back from vet this morning after I brought Kenji for a scheduled checkup.

It seems that bald patch has stopped growing. But it doesn't have any fur growing back either.

I showed her the whole discussion here and she said she will research on Panacur before deciding whether to use it on Kenji or not. She said she has panacur, but she only use it for dogs and cats, plus it's a very strong medication. In the mean time, she gave another anti-parasite injection for Kenji.

I'm really glad this discussion came up! There are a lot of issues here that I have been wondering about also!

Hershey also gets these bald spots, where the surrounding hair is easily pulled out. In fact, if I gently pluck it out, Hershey seems to be in heaven! He will purr and close his eyes etc!

I use ivermectin topically on my chickens. It works wonders! I was wondering about using it on Hershey. (Calm down, I didn't and wouldn't w/o competent advice! lol!)

The stasis issue is interestingly reletive here also. Any one remember about a month back when Hershey wouldn't come out of his hole? I finally got him out and he was acting so strange I took him to the vet. The only thing he suggested was mild stasis. A couple of days later, Hershey pooped out a bunch of poops all strung together w/ fur! This lasted a few days. During this time, he also had 2 bald patches! Shortly after the "hairy poops" the patches filled in!

BTW, Hershey is a Dutch! (just in case you didn't look at pic! lol!)

Oh, and P.S. Erresar: Where in Netherlands are you? My husband was born in Utrect. We were there visiting a few years ago.

Back