Bad reaction to spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdlover

Reaction score
I had my bun, Annabelle, spayed yesterday and I've only been able to get her to drink a little water last night. What should I do??!!

Did you get metacam from the rabbit-vet who did her spay?

Females that we've had spayed take a couple days to recover their normal pre-surgery eating habits.

Her mouth may be dry from the anesthesia process.

Have you called the vet to ask if they can supply a 2 tsp./10 ml syringe to gently insert water into the side of her mouth (between the teeth opening)?

> You can try a couple drops of fresh pineapple juice or apple juice in her water bowl to encourage water consumption. Perhaps mix a small amount of unsweetened applesauce with water and gently syringe...

Hopefully she'll be willing to drink on her own very soon! :hearts Lots of TLC.

I was on the phone calling the vet 2 days after one of our girls showed major disinterest in food and hay. She eventually rebounded by days 3 and 4. This vet did not believe in pain meds for rabbits undergoing surgery. I've stopped going to that vet after various other things happened.

> Is she nibbling wet greens or a small amount of tender hay; A fresh pineapple chunk or piece of seedless watermelon?

Is your vet or the certified veterinary technician (CVT) staff receptive to questions for post-spay recovery?

headstrokes to your Annabelle,

I usually give them wet parsley and this is the first thing that they eat, however many of the shelter spays haveme all upset by 2 when they do not drink or eat but for some reason or other day 3 is the magic day.

I always give them pedialyte by syringe for the first couple days to keep them hydrated
Good Luck !

keeping them hydrated is more important than food.

As others have said, pain meds are important. If you didn't get those, call back and ask for something. If they don't give you that, we can help you find a dose for ibuprofen--you can buy the liquid baby solution.

She may also have gas. Is she pooping, what about eating? A bottle of infant simethicone can help if she has gas. It can be very painful for bunnies, and often occurs due to any kind of stress. Our only bun to be fixed in our care (all others were fixed before we got them) got gas after his neuter and we had to give him simethicone.

Gosh, thanks for all the replies. They did NOT give me pain meds and I could kick myself for not thinking to ask for some. (I'll know in the future). I called this a.m. and they told me to get some Ox Bow Critical Care and syringe 10 ml. into her mouth 3 times a day so I did and she's been doing pretty good with that. Its apple/banana flavored and she licks it off the front of her mouth when I place it there. I have offered her fresh parsley but she isn't interested. I will try some pineapple and/or some apple sauce, too. I had her daughter spayed too but she is eating and drinking. Thank you so much for your input!!

I've had girls take as many as 3 days before they started eating and drinking on their own. I would continue syringing the Critical Care. Hydration is important and I would try syringing some Pedialyte too.

How's Annabelle doing?

Latest posts

Back