:( bad noises in my garden.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
I was looking out the window and saw a frog moving back and forward, so I though poor little thing must have his leg caught, I'll just go and free it for him.

Opened the patio door, stepped out, and the frog pinged away from where it was, and a snake head receeded into a hole :O

So I was rather shocked at that and called my mum because she likes strange things like that(we presume it's a grass snake because we have had those around before). Then we are standing there debating what it was, and then we heard a screaming coming from there. This snake was eating something :( As the screaming started another frog came pegging it out of the hole as fast as frogs move and clearly in a panic, and we though, 'ah, the frog escaped', then the noise carried on :(

I can still hear whatever it wasbeing eaten :( We reckon it was a mouse or frog, but we don't really know. Bad snake :(

Just thought I would share my trauma with you all because I have no one else to share it with, lol.

No. It's not nice :( That place where it was is probably it's 'base', so we are going to ask my dad to move it and take it away somewhere tomorrow, and set it free in a field or something.

hi mooninmoo

where abouts are you in the uk to get frogs

my mam lives in durham tyne and wear and has a garden full of hedgehogs

i wished i would get something like this but i live in a town

varna xxxxx

I live in Suffolk, and we have two ponds (which attracts a lot of bizarre things like herons, hedgehogs,snakes, clearly, lol, newts, toads, as well as frogs).

I live in a village so we get a fair amount of wildlife.

If you ever move out of the town,look into getting apond because you will get lots of wildlife. :)

Oh my god i would freak if there was a snake in my garden they scare me i am really phobic, give me a tarantula anyday!! i couldn't go out in the garden if i had seen a snake and your dad must be really brave!!:?

Aw, bless ya. Phobias are no fun. We videoed him in the hope he would make a fool of himself, but he didn't, and the snake was nowhere insight (I wonder where it went) so then we all got in on the act.

Snake hunting- Every cool persons Friday night activity.

lol, you do get them up there... they could be lurking near you.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ellissian wrote:
Something like that :)

Rats don't bother me but snakes do.

Oh, my...all this snake and rat talk is making me want to stay out of the garden. ;)

Isn't it funny how we can so easily love our furry little bunnies, but shy away from furry little rats and slithery snakes? We've had a rat in our compost pile in the past...but not recently that I know of. I wasn't sure what to do. I did not want to harm her. She must have nested in there and would pop her little head out from the top once in a while for air. The only part I thought was bad was that our pile is located VERY CLOSE to our kitchen...and I feared her finding a way in to the house to nest for the winter. But I just left her alone, and she never ventured indoors. Perhaps our 10 cats were enough to put fear in her heart...though none of them would have a clue what to do with a mouse or rat. (Their big workout is the occasional lightning bug!) In fact, we once had an entire colony of mice make a home in the basement...spent 4 weeks one spring live trapping and setting them free in a local park. Twice, I've missed one caught in the live trap and didn't get to them before they died of dehydration. As much as I did not want to share my home with them, I cried and buried their pathetic little corpses beneath our forsythia.

Still, I must say I don't know WHAT I would do with a snake! Best wishes to you, Moominmoo, as you relocate any other predators hanging about!

Mary Ellen

I guess I"m the wierd one here, I love snakes :) We have several that live on our land, including one that is about 4-4.5 feet, I love them :) I even name them!

Well, except the rattlesnakes, those I dont want. One day I saw one right outside my door on my porch! I did take pics of him, but it freaked me out he was there! Next time I saw him, he was where I park my car when I came home... ended up running him over, and he died... felt bad, but also glad he's no longer here....

For those scared of snakes, might not want to see these, but these are just some of my snake friends.... (we also have javelinas (which make a MESS of my hay), tarantulas, squirrels, tons of lizards, birds (including a hawk), frogs, large dragonflies, ect... and TONS of cottontails!). I just LOVE all the wildelife at my house (minus the javelina and rattlers, oh and the scorpions, hate those...)

07e21f79.jpg

30cdb34b.jpg

rattlersm.jpg

Oh bummer, I haven't yet uploaded the pic of the BIG snake, and I"m at work... let me get a photo off my phone of him.... ok, it's not of the BIG one, but it's the same kind, this guy is only about 3 ft or so...

Photo055.jpg

Gotta admit that those snakes are cool looking...

I guess that we get used to things. Just like so many people thought I was crazy to live trap and relocate 16 mice who were born in our basement. Or that I was crazy not to try to kill the rat in the compost. Or that I was crazy to relocate a nest of hundreds of swarming honey bees to another location of our yard (they'd taken up residence in a brush pile in our veggie garden...and we wanted to rototill that spring :)

I, too, love the wildlife that visits my yard. And while they sometimes freak me out or get into my house (like the squirrel who got into an interior wall), we do everything we can to attract them to our property and to provide them with adequate food, water, and shelter. I realize that I am privileged to be sharing their native habitat and that they merely allow me to have a house here. They were here before me, and they will be here long after I am gone (if we don't ruin their chances).

Latest posts

Back