Bad news

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*nepo*

Reaction score
My dad has been thinking oftaking Nepo outside:(. All alone in his cage in the cold. This maysound mean, but the good thing is my dad will make a bigger cage forhim:). Which one is better: A wide cage or a cage with stories? Both ofthem will have boxes for hiding. And should I put the cage high or lowon the ground? How much should I increase the amount of food by? Idon't know if my dad will take him outside. But if he does, will Nepodo good at night? For people that have bunnies outside, do you have anysuggestions?Sorry for all the questions but I don't really like theidea and I want to make Nepo as prepared as possible.:D

If I could keep mine in, I would. Winter is atough time for a house bun to get used to the climate. When I bringsick bunnies in, the temp switch is always rough when they go back out.

But mine have always lived outside. They get lots of hay in theirboxes, and the boxes should be fairly small so they can heat the spacewith body heat. With smallish doors.

Our temps reach 40 below here, and it works ok, I just check on them when it gets this bad.

Oh yeah--NO water bottles or metal feeders!!!! :DHeavyplastic dishes or crockery (for food, crockery will explode with waterin).

Rose

My bunnies are outdoors and always have been. Itgets down to -40 (the same in C and F) and sometimes lower. Add thewind chill to that and it's down right chilly!

I'm not to keen on the idea of moving your bunny outside at this timeof year. It's better to take them out in late spring or early summerwhen the temperatures are moderate, that way the bunny cangetused to outdoor life without the stress of weather changes (too drasticanyways)and once the bad weather hits, they are used to theoutdoors. Your bunny will not have the winter coat to be able tosurvive well depending on where about you live and how cold it gets.

Inside the cage my boys both have a small insulated wood box (Styrofoamsandwiched between 2 layers of plywood). By small I mean just enoughroom for them to sleep in comfortably with the straw for insulation.This box is just placed inside the cage where they are free to goinside whenever they choose to do so.

I'd suggest an elevated cage as mice can get in the cage and otheranimals will have easier access to a cage on or close to the ground.You need to ensure that animals like raccoons, squirrels, etc. cannotget a hold of the bunny through the wire.

Use the heaviest welded wire you can get.You wanthim protected from drafts but not so tight that hes breathing ammoniafumes.make sure the cage is in an area that is shaded from theafternoon sun.Do not use chicken wire, dogs and racoons go rightthrough it.I like to use a removable partial floor or piece of plywoodthat can be taken out and hosed off.bluebird

If your Dad intalls wheels, like lawnmower orchildrens bicycle wheels, you can move Nepo about and away frominclement weather. It also prevents urine/feces build-up inany one area of your yard, so there is less worry about ammonia fumesbeing wafted up into the hutch.

Some people cover their buns' hutches with plastic tarps, canvas, etc.during real cold weather, or just leave one "window" open forventilation. I've made plexiglas "inserts" for the screenpanels of two of our hutches that function like stormwindows. I install/remove depending upon the ambienttemperatures being experienced.

Buck

My dad staple gunned an old bit of carpet to thetop of Rosie's hutch and we'd fold it down over her hutch at night tokeep her warm. We also made sure she had plenty of hay tosnuggle down to and her hutch had a big padlock on it to stop babbitburglars! :)

I live in Florida so thewinters don't get so bad, but the summers could. But since my mom is alittle bit on my side she says we can bring him inside the housewhenthe weathergets really bad and at night. Isthis a good idea?

Is a soft bed ( like a cat or dog bed) good? Orshould I just let him sleep in asmall box with hay? If I geta soft bed I will still put a box with hay in.

I might attach a carpet or something tothewire and leave a window in the cold and windymonths. And at summer I'll put a towel or something. I'm sure going tomake the roof solid.

Thanks for all the good advice.:D

Latest posts

Back