Baby's surgery status

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babymommy

Reaction score
Hi,

I just called the vet's office to check on Baby and they said she wasfine. She is resting nicely and I can pick her up after 5:00.

They also weighed her this morning and she's gained a whole pound sinceher last appointment 3 or 4 month ago, so she's at 5 1/2pounds. They also clipped her nails for me and were going totry to clean her feet up for me since she will not let me touch them.

Also, they said, i would need to bring her back in a week to have her stiches removed, is that normal? Just checking.

Thanks

Babymommy

The stitches really depend on the doc. Some docs dont use stiches but use other means to close up the wounds.

Guinevere had disolvable stitches when she had her spay so Id idnt have to bring her back.

Just keep an eye on her when she comes home, some buns will try to pull out those stitches.

I hope she recoups fast!@

I am kind of suprised that they didn't usedissolveable stiches or surgical glue. You would think they would wantto minimize the stress and having to go back to get them removed is abummer. I would ask your vet why he chose those kind of stiches, justout of curiosity. Happy to hear that the surgery went well for yourlittle one! Good luck.

Fergi's mom

i certainly will. That's one thing i didn't think to ask before hand.

Question??????.......while she's recouping, how will using her litterbox go? She's got a covered one, that she kinda has to hopinto. She I use one of her old ones that not covered soshe doesn't have to hop for now?

Hi Babymommy,

I too was a bit surprised they went the stitches route, but since shemade it through fine, it sounds like all went well. Just makesure that she doesn't bother those stitches, and be sure the areadoesn't get overly swollen and red.

Glad to hear our Baby's doing well. Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Good morning all,

Carolyn, to my pleasant surprise thedoctor decided with her temperment that inside stitches and the gluestuff would be better. They came to realise that bringing herback next week to take the stitches out probably wouldn't be happeningfor her.:D I guess they remembered that she's not the "flipher over" kind of bunny.

Stephanie, yes she is eating.She ate a small bit as soon as i got her home last night and drink asmig of water. Then the little devil slipped out of her cagewhen I took her covered litter box out and put the old small front onein for her to have easier access to. She wouldn't let mecatch her at first she tried hopping around which made me sonervous. Then she hopped into her litter box that we keep inthe kitchen, so I just picked it up and carried it to her cage and shegot back in her cage. I think that's when the pain set in andshe didn't move for awhile and wasn't interested in anything.So I waited about an hour and syringe fed her some water with babyaspirin every hour. Right before I went to bed at 12 lastnight I went to syringe feed her again and she started licking thesyringe moister first so I just started squeezing some out on the floorand she just kept licking it up, so i kept squeezing it out.Then she ate a carrot and nibble a bite or two of lettuce. Igot up an hour and 1/2 later and checked in on her and she drank morefrom her dish this time and ate another carrot and piece of lettuce andnibbled some hay and I left her another piece of lettuce right besideher. I felt really good then and went back to bed.I got up this morning and boy was she hungry. She had eatenthe other lettuce. She moved over to her water and dranklots. She took a piece of dried pineapple from me, andanother carrot. She then ate some pellets from my hand andnibbled hay again. Right before I left for work, she waseating her pellet food from her dish and getting in her litterbox. With that I felt much better and went ahead and came towork. I still wish I were home.

Sorry so long winded. But I wasexcited that she was doing that much. Poor thing, you canstill tell she doesn't feel great.

Hi babymommy,

If she wasn't feeling well and was in a great deal of pain, shewouldn't be eating like she is. It sounds like she's doingwell. You were right to restrict her from hopping around toomuch after the first day or two. I'd probably keep her quietin her cage for the first couple of days just to ensure that shedoesn't tear the wound. She might have hurt herself a bit byhopping around trying to avoid going in her cage last night, but shesounds like she's doing really well now.

Glad to hear the results of the stitches.

Keep up the good work! You're doing an excellent job of watching baby-girl.

-Carolyn

my tough thing will be trying to look at herwound area. She's not very cooperative. The doctorsaid I may have to become a contoursionist.:p

Be firm when you grab her and flip her upsidedown. You have to check it to make sure that it's healingproperly, so for her own good, she'll have to just deal with thehandling for a moment. Once you get them on their back and inyour arms like a baby, they tend to calm down a bit.

You'll be fine in handling her. Believe me, I used to beintimidated by handling my rabbits until they had medicalproblems. Did they fight me, you bet, but after a few timesof that, they realized that they better just concede because it wouldend sooner.

Watch for too much redness and swelling.

-Carolyn

Wow, so glad it went well for you with her. Wehad some major problems with Abby with not eating, and that went on fora couple of days. Maybe even three going on four before she began toeat on her own. Talk about being scared out of my wits. If it wasn'tfor Carolyn, I don't know what I would have done.

So funny to see her shaved belly though, isn't it? Abby's is still patchy.

Stephanie, it is funny. I was checkingit out last night. She wants out of her cage so badlynow. I think I may let her out a bit tonight and perhaps lether have her ramp back in her condo.

I was scared the first few days for sure just from reading yourtroubles. I think I was so worried that I jump started onhand feeding her the water and aspirin. She let me knowFriday that she was still in pain though. I had tried acouple of times to get to her so that I could take a look at her bellyand apparently it hurt her, so when I tried one last time to reach inand get her, she bit the ever loving fire out of my hand. Icried. I think partly because it really hurt and partlybecause it hurt my feelings. But I think all is forgivennow. She's back to distroying her cage. I can'twait to put her covered litter box back in her cage. But herappetite is back to full swing again, and I love it.

They are really not themselves when they are ill, so the bite you received doesn't mean anything.

We had a buck that started to beat up on his bonded partner.So much so, that we took him to the vet, to find out he was, in fact,ill. Once treated successfully for the illness, he went backto his partner as if nothing had ever gone awry between them.They just get "blinded" by the pain sometimes, I think.

Buck

Buck,

Thanks for the reassurance. I can certainly emphasize withher. If I had just had surgery and someone tried to pick meup, I might bite them too.:p

On a separate note, I let her out for awhile last night. Shewas so happy. After being out for only a couple of minutes, Igot a binky out of her.:D It made my night.

Still no allowing us to pick her up just yet, but she does stand upreally pretty and lets me get a look at her belly that way.I've been able to just lay my hand on her belly while she's laying inher cage and she's looking fine. I still haven't given herramp back to her yet. I'm a little over pro-tective as mydaughter would vouch for. But I still want to supervise for abit.

Back