Baby wild rabbits - panicking!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lymie

Reaction score
I made a huge leaf pile two weeks ago, and went out there today to bag them, and while I was raking I sent three babies flying. A momma rabbit must have built a nest inside it.

Their eyes aren't open, and they're tiny, and I know I shouldn't have picked them up (I had gloves on) but I thought they were hurt. So, we have them in a laundry basket with news paper, and they're all fine, but I need to know what to do for them.

I'm afraid if we take them in they'll just put them down and I don't want to put them back out in the yard encase my smell is on them and the mom rejects them. The war on the back yard rabbits has taken quite the turn. :/

What do I do?

(This is also making me miss my own babies, who still haven't been adopted. :( )

Nope, no problem with your smell, just put them back where they were before and re-cover them with the leaves. Momma will find them and feed them.

Honest, it's the best way. The mother will only come once or twice a day to feed them, but they'll be fine. She won't care about your scent, rabbits don't care.

They by far stand the best chance of survival where they were. There is no milk-replacement formula that will pull them though very easily, so even rehabbers aren't a good bet.

They will be okay. If you want, I think you can put a little short garden fence around the nest, but I wouldn't do anything else.

Here's a Library link with more info.

Wild Rabbit Rescue
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15487&forum_id=17

sas :clover:

Just what sas said your scent doesnt effect anything so make sure their ok and put them back in the same place and their momma will take care of them i did the same thing and their mom came right back to them. Keep an eye on them though just to make sure they are ok.
good luck :)

I would also leave some light twigs on top of the leavesso you can tell if the mom came back to take care of them.

Thank you guys. I re-created the nest in the flower garden, about 15ft from where the pile was. Since the pile is almost gone I'm hoping she'll go looking for them. I picked up all her fur and put it in the nest. I'll check on them in the morning and evening to see if they've been fed.

I also found two more babies. One I accidentally kicked when I went to push a pile of leaves over, and the other was buried in the lawn bag. But they're fine, with many apologizes from me, and they're all snuggled up together. Their screaming is terrible!

:/ Poor guys, I'll just have to be more careful with the other piles.

Good idea with the sticks across the nest top. That why you'll know if momma cottontail comes back to nurse. If you don't see the sticks moved, then perhaps mom could've been killed and you'll have orphan kits. A rehabber will know according to their age (if they're furred, eyes about to open, how much hair... the position of their ears...) if they have a good chance of surviving, or are old enough to receive the specialized baby formula orphaned kits receive. Moms usually take HUGE leaps away from her nest to not lead predators to her babies. I'm glad you found the errant babies and put them back with their sibs. Keep us posted if you can.

I would suggest contacting your state's wildlife office in order to contact a licensed rehabber. When you rebuild a nest....it should be no more than 8-10 feet from the original site. The mother will not search much for them. Searching would expose her to predators. She is already pregnant again and her major concern is for her unborn kits. They know they are prey animals and if the kits disappear, they assume a predator has taken them. That is why a female can get pregnant within minutes after delivering a litter and what keeps the population at high levels.

Raising cottontails is extremely difficult not to mention illegal in most states (permits are required). While they are basically identical to our domestics, their wean is much quicker and very violent. They have several difficult times in first month of life. Suriving the first couple of days is a challenge in itself. By 5 days old, they have a full coat of fur. Eyes will open about 7-9 days and is the next danger spot....starting the transition to solid food. The next ten days or so are "fattening up" time until final wean. The climate in the gut starts to change rapidly. In nature, the mother's milk starts this conversion. About 21 days old or so, final weaning is taking place and is when most cottontails are lost due to toxins in the GI. Even many licensed rehabbers will not accept cottontails due to their high losses. Even here with all our years of experience and our very advanced GI protocols, we still lose our fair share of cottontails.

If you put them back near where they were....mark the nest so you will know if the mother returns to care for them. She feeds usually once a day and it's normally just before sunrise....she is quick and efficient so you may not actually see her.

Good luck.

Randy

I want to add that Randy is a licensed wildlife rehabber and knows exactly what he's talking about. Treasuredfriend also has cared for wild buns. The recommendation of re-making the nest with twigs in front of it is a great idea. I hope the mom comes back.

Lymie, I will share a story about cottontails and kits from our experience. June 2005.

I watched a cottontail we called "Hutch Beeler" give birth from an upstairs window in our house. We often found dugouts in the grass from nesting attempts or abandonded nests that predators would find. I watched Hutch Beeler come discreetly to the nest hollow early one a.m., stay fixed at the grassy spot, and then leap away to groom "clean" herself, as a 2nd cottontail (wanna bet it was a male?) was merely yards away... They are self-ovulators and can become pregnant moments after giving birth. She built her nest right in the Front Yard !!!

My husband and I would watch for mom cottontail to return to the nest each evening to nurse. My husband would make sure the grass was slightly higher around the nest when he mowed the lawn for the first week. We also knew how many babies were in the nest. At one point, we placed a tri-folded lawn chair over the nest with enough room for mom e/c to get underneath. The wildlife center would instruct callers to take certain measures as they preferred not to get an overload of cottontails when truly the kits weren't orphaned. When a Mom Rabbit is Hit By Vehicle or in pieces from a predator and left laying in the yard, then it's obvious there's a nest of orphans.

One June day, a vagrant unsupervised boxer dog from the neighbor's house had come to sniff in our front yard, getting closer to the nest. He got shooshed away via my hasty orders. Our property has plenty of nocturnal visitors which will also eat and destroy cottontails.

- On day 13 right after we observed Mom nursing from our front door and windows, an unforgettable moment took place. My hubby and I watched the young e/c's scamper !-as best they could-! from the nest hollow in our front yard to the arborvitae cove.

* What an amazing sight to witness * :shock:

Mom communicates to the young babes to stay calm and remain in the nest, not move, until a certain age. This helps them stay concealed from crows and overhead predators that eat them.

- My husband and I counted "heads" as they tried out those new legs. :) The strongest agouti hoppers leaving the hollow in the front yard first, to head to the brushy haven. With Mom's instructions (we couldn't hear her quietly communicate that), dash like the dickens to the COVE, "same place I'm going to run to and be at." We watched from our front door ... :highfive:

...As the last one scampered to the safer area, a Cooper's Hawk swooped down.

- It was a manuerving situation b/c the hawk had to tend with pine branches in order to grasp the young cottontail. We saw the talons extended upon it's glide. Mom Cottontail confronted the Cooper's Hawk and lunged. Our lab/retriever dog went out after the hawk at this point. We had instructed our dog to stay away from the nest in the time the babies were growing up.

What an amazing experience it was to witness & chronicle Hutch Beeler's visits, both in their nest and after the tribe relocated to the arborvitae area. Was neat to see them scamper toward the traveling milk supply (hurray, Mom's Here) b/c mom wisely stayed away not to attract predators. They'd flip on their backs and grab a milk jug as mom maintained her position underneath the arborvitae. Sometimes Mom e/c had that look on her face, "OK, I'm starting to feel your teeth and You guys are gettin' big." What a devoted mom. We watched through binoculars. Around 2 1/2+ weeks mom came back less often as she knew they were old enough to be on their own. And as Randy noted, probably had the next batch ready to be born.

Cottontails have taught us lots, and that's how I became a Domestic rabbit mom. Sorry to get off OT yet I thought those interested in wildlife and reading the thread would gain insight or a smile from the notes. Thanks, tonyshuman, for mentioning my experience with rehabilitating cottontails.

Not all humans have the patience to care for cottontail juveys - and their weaning is a delicate procedure if they haven't obtained the right immunities and gut flora from mom's colostrum. Yet it can be accomplished in experienced hands, and losses occur...

^ A single cottontail survived from the litter born in our front yard. ^ The Scamper Story above!:D She lived 5 1/2 years on our property, in the neighborhood. Most e/cs won't live 'til age 6 months, or ever leave the nest alive!! Survival rate is low. Their peaceful presence and beauty is missed so much in our yard.

There's tons of good information supplied by RO members and experienced licensed, active, or retired wildlife rehabbers. I may have missed all the threads because I gathered from ones that were in my account since I joined RO. Here's a small library section for anyone who checks this thread.

Thanks also to Randy, EileenH, Hazel, Bo B Bunny, Pipp, Haley, and so many, many more participants for asking Qs & adding insight.

Especially now that mating and birthing season is in full bloom in the States...

:hearts Hope these will help!

~ For smiles, knowledge, and knowing what's best to help eastern cottontails survive, live long and prosper. :)
=====================

JadeIcing, A Sign That Things Will Turn Out Well (Wild Rabbit):
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=36878&forum_id=1

Lovr_Of_Lopz, WILD/PET BABY BUNNIES:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=47207&forum_id=48

jammy, Wild Baby Bunny in House (RIP):
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=46787&forum_id=16

sham, Baby cottontails:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=21321&forum_id=1

Raspberry82, Help! What to do about wild baby bunnies found in Aunt's yard!:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=45891&forum_id=1

kherrmann3, Cottontails. :
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=42129&forum_id=1

MiaP, Wild Rabbit or Not?: -- EileenH is a wildlife rehabilitator and clarified a Q on this thread! Thanks to EileenH.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=36799&forum_id=8

Bo B Bunny, Tiny Baby Bunny(s):
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=35234&forum_id=89

timetowaste, a rescued wild jackrabbit can be quite loving!:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=31652&forum_id=55

Bunnicula, Cotton Tail Friend:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=27948&forum_id=1

SamPIXIE, Rescued Cottontail Baby:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=26320&forum_id=16

From the logbook 2004:

June 18, 2004. Hutch BLR gave birth at 6:15 a.m.

June 20, rain, checked nest

June 22, rain, checked nest

June 24, rain, c/nest. 4 pm. Gizmo and boxer dog in front yard.

June 25, rain, c/nest. Saw Hutch Blr nursing @ 8:30 pm.

June 27, 65 degrees and sunny. rain > 8 pm.

June 29, 80 degrees. Nursing @ 7:25 pm.

June 30, Hutch BLR there to nurse @ 6:15 pm. little guy moved to cove @ 6:30 pm and others nibbling grass and scamping about in taller grass.

July 1, Six beelers Scamper dash to woody brush pile in arborvitae cove, then Cooper's Hawk swoop.

July 3, rain @ 4:30 pm. 7-8 pm ~ hoppy out (one was persistent in coming out of protected area) and Hutch BLR nursed @ 8:15 pm.

July 4, 9:30 am. Orange trespasser cat seen by neighbors, chipmunk and ground squirrel alarms.

July 4, rain. 8:25 pm, Mom Hutch BLR seen nursing babes. 3-4 babies nursed. Shooshed one baby back to cove safety who wanted to follow mom...

July 6, 8:45 pm. Two Hutch BLR photos taken. 5 baby cottontails seen nursing from mom e/c.

July 7, 70 degrees. Five seen nursing.

July 9, Orange domestic, vagrant cat with young cottontail in mouth by neighbors.

July 11, black cat in yard, spotted two times.

July 19, Orange cat again!!!

(skipping some log entries)

July 25, Beeler J bunny in front, female from Hutch BLR

July 30, Hutch BLR and Beeler J in front yard protected spots and area.

Hutch Beeler did not return to our yard after a couple winters. Beeler J remained, and lived for 5 1/2 years per blogs and photos on my website.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enjoy your wild cottontails as long as you can. Thanks for caring, too.

Momma Cottontail choosed to nurse in the early daylight, early evening, or when she feels *most comfortable* based on noises, surrounding activity, and predator safety.

Lymie, any updates?

Please keep us posted, if you can, on sightings of those leaf pile babies, or momma cottontail.

I'm sorry, my internet was down all day.

They are ALL alive, and I figure if momma hadn't found them and wasn't feeding them that they would be dead by now. I did let my dogs out this morning and they went wild over a rabbit in the main yard (they have the deck and dog run), so I assume that was mom.

I checked on them after I got back from a job interview (a job which I got, btw), and to my surprise their eyes were halfway open. My dog came to sniff, I held him by the coller (before i noticed their eyes open) and one jumped and he went to grab him. Boy, did he get a scolding. But the baby was fine, if not a bit shaken.

Then, about 5 p.m I put a fireplace grate around their nest and let the dogs into the main yard. I noticed them sniffing around, very curious, so I went to check on them.

One of them was crawling around, getting used to his legs! He got up, and he stumbled around a bit, and I kept putting him back because I thought no, no, no! You can't leave the nest without mom! But I let him be, I figured it was his instinct, and yet again if he wasn't being fed he wouldn't be running around.

And he ran around, and jumped, and was exploring. It was so beautiful to watch! There was another exploring, but not quite so much, and the other three stayed put pretty much all evening. I think they're a bit used to my voice and the glove, because they were perfectly comfortable letting me scoop them up and put them back, and they wanted to nudge my fingers. They even groomed each other, and nibbled on stuff.

I know I'm not supposed to get attached, that most of them will die, and that my vegetable garden doesn't need anymore rabbits wreaking havoc, but I can't help being enamored by them. All their little achievements make me so proud, it's ridiculousness.

And thank you for all the information, and the bitter sweet story!

Lymie, so exciting to hear all are doing well. ~ You can do lots to ensure they'll live a long life for an eastern cottontail.

As for the War on the Backyard Rabbits, we've got suggestions to thwart a veggie garden visit too. Those herbie and veggie nibblers, greens 'n' petunia nibblers, are too precious.

Most humans don't care (about cottontails). You are an exceptional one who does!

A smart idea to keep your dogs on a leash or hold 'em by the collar when around the nest. Plus as the juveys venture out of the nest and to further spots in the yard. That will help in adding days to their lifespan.

(Neighbors have a dog that discovered a nest and it was disaster. I could tell by the Mrs. reprimanding the dog. AT the wildlife center many came in with crushing injuries from dog attacks, or were killed by dogs.
And a callous, mean-spirited person who thought it was cute to feed baby bunnies to a person's labrador... tossing them from nest to the dog's mouth to gulp down... well, i'll stop there.)

YOUR CARE is exceptional.

* The fireplace screen or safety grate will be added protection. Good for YOU! Some places to hide will give them extra protection :) until they can really BOLT like a bunny to evade a larger animal with teeth and claws. Have you got areas in the grate that will allow them to escape to woodsy thicket and brush havens? Sounds awesome if Mom has been able to survive and find safe hunker-down spots too.

Glad you're getting enamoured with young life starting out, and you saved 'em from the leaf bag. :hug: You got to see 'em groom each other!! :) And are watching out for Mom!

Congratulations on the Job interview and Offer. :pinkbouce:

Lymie wrote:
I'm sorry, my internet was down all day.

They are ALL alive, and I figure if momma hadn't found them and wasn't feeding them that they would be dead by now...

One of them was crawling around, getting used to his legs! He got up, and he stumbled around a bit, and I kept putting him back because I thought no, no, no! You can't leave the nest without mom! But I let him be, I figured it was his instinct, and yet again if he wasn't being fed he wouldn't be running around.

And he ran around, and jumped, and was exploring. It was so beautiful to watch! There was another exploring, but not quite so much, and the other three stayed put pretty much all evening. I think they're a bit used to my voice and the glove, because they were perfectly comfortable letting me scoop them up and put them back, and they wanted to nudge my fingers. They even groomed each other, and nibbled on stuff.

... All their little achievements make me so proud, it's ridiculousness.

And thank you for all the information, and the bitter sweet story!
:sunshine: :brownbunny Loved the update, and taking time to post on them. TF

Latest posts

Back