Baby bunny possibly has injured lip

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheyrul wrote:
I am checking into having the daddy neutered this week. I can easily keep them separated until they are well supervised.

Beelzebunny had some bad habits, like I could not keep her out of the cat box which my 6 cats use and is filled with clumping litter. She would also eat dry cat food, if the kids did not screw the lid on the container tight - once she chewed through a bag to eat it. A couple of days before she died, she had pulled out a lot of hair, so I sort thought (and hoped rather than her be sick) maybe she was nesting again as both adult bunnies had possibly mated again and it had been approximately 28ish days. So when she was acting "not right" it was kind of how she acted right before she had the babies.

hmm, is it possible she died during childbirth, like one got stuck in there or something?

such a terrible situation. either way i'd look into going to a better vet because he doesnt seem to know much about what he's talking about

If she had been pregnant, she was having a very small litter because her belly was not huge like before and I did check for babies but found none, thank heavens.

If she had been pregnant, she was having a very small litter because her belly was not huge like before and I did check for babies but found none, thank heavens.

Cheyrul wrote:

*sigh* losing a pet can be so tough.

my thoughts are with you :pray:

I know, parts of it really suck.

In defense of the vet; when he was telling me mamma bunnies often die after the 3rd delivery, he meant from back to back breedings whether accidental or intentional.

Cheyrul wrote:
I know, parts of it really suck.

In defense of the vet; when he was telling me mamma bunnies often die after the 3rd delivery, he meant from back to back breedings whether accidental or intentional.

ohhh that makes a bit more sense now. to be honest i ahve no idea either way, perhaps post in the rabbitry?

I don't ever plan on breeding again, accidentally or intentionally :lol I will have the ones we keep, fixed as soon as possible.

To be clear, you are not housing the father with the babies, correct? Some father bunnies will be good dads but that is rare.

well, I was but am not now. I had read that the babies needed a adult rabbit's cecal poop and did not read anything about male bunnies eradicating babies.
Now, they are only together when we with them.

tonyshuman wrote:
To be clear, you are not housing the father with the babies, correct? Some father bunnies will be good dads but that is rare.

Hmm that's interesting. Our mama rabbit and max (neutered) fell in love as soon as we brought her home from death row. Probably a mistake for us to introduce them... Anyway having them separated was impossible. Either max or jemima would find a way out of the cage just to go and lay next to the others cage. So right now we have max, jemima and all the babies together and max is incredible with them

Could it be because he's desexed? Ie not hormonal and territorial?

Back