Baby bunny help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
Well, the local shelter just called me and they asked me whether I'd be willing to foster and possibly adopt in the future two baby bunnies. They said they look to be dutch mixes and are possibly as young as 4-6 weeks old. Can I say: EEK!!!

They're coming to drop them off to me in about an hour or so. I'll be able to get some more information then. But I'm freaked out because I've not had very much experience with baby bunnies. Actually, the youngest rabbit I've had has been 3 months old. I mean, as a child, we had a rescued cottontail that was only a couple of weeks old, but I don't remember that at all.

Any advice you can offer me ASAP? When I know more, I'll share more.

:shock:!

aawwww little ones!

I got both my bunnies at around 6 or 7 weeks (so I was told). I wonder what happened that they were taken from their mother. They're not supposed to be until at least 6 weeks!

I would prepare a very cozy spot for them. SOmewehere where they can cozy up and feel safe, as if with a mother. I know the pet stores have that soft stuf. Perhaps that will help.

I am assuming you have buns alreadyso I wonder if you took their bunny hair. I have NO IDEA if that's even a good idea. But I just htought soft bunn hair would feel good. Maybe helpwith bonding later. PLEASE do NOT take this as advice. I DO NOT KNOW!

Good luck! I can't wait to hear more and maybe see pics!

MArybeth

Aww baby bunnies! Will you take lots of pictures? Are you planning to just foster, or adopt? Do you need to feed them special food, or what? I would definitely be nervous in your situation too, but also excited! I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure someone who's more knowledgeable with baby buns will be by soon.

YAY ANOTHER BUNNY STORK IS FLYING HIGH TONIGHT:stork:I LOVE IT WHEN HE COMES!!

I AM REALLY EXCITED FOR YOU - NOW I CANNOT WAIT FOR PICS,

AWW I AM TOO EXCITED!!

GOOD LUCK WITH UR FIRST BABY BUNS.:bunny18

The two babies are on their way and should be here within the hour!

I found out that they're about 5 weeks old - maybe even a few days shy of 5 weeks. They were dumped at the shelter overnight, but seem to be healthy and both have been initially sexed as females.

I don't have a cage and can't even get one until tomorrow. I have a large corrugated box that I lined with newspaper and tons and tons of hay for them and I have a screen to place on top of it to ensure they stay inside of it. Do you think that'll be okay for the night? The shelter seems to think they should be fine for a short time until I can get to the store tomorrow, but I feel like it's not enough.

No one knows if they're able to eat pellets at this point and someone on here suggested just giving them hay for a few days and then letting them slowly get on pellets. Any other suggestions on this?

I'm excited, but very nervous at the same time. It all happened very fast just as with my other 2 fosters. I don't know whether I'll adopt them or just foster them - I'll have first pick if I decide to adopt them. But, at any rate, I'll definitely take plenty of pictures!

Aaahhh!

The babies are here and I'm completely over my head on this one...

I have pictures uploading now. They're absolutely precious, but I'm scared to death. I don't know what they need and they're so, so tiny.

What did I get myself into :shock:?

First of all - you need to calm down and be calm. THEY need you to be calm because they will pick up on your nerves.

They need a fresh supply of water - either a bowl or a water bottle. You might even want to have both...

They need hay - and maybe a bit of oatmeal if you have it. I'm not sure what they were eating for food (and what their mama ate) - so I'd go with limited pellets - lots of hay and a bit of oatmeal....maybe a couple of tablespoons of pellets each for the first couple of days along with lots of hay and oatmeal....and then you can up their pellets a bit.

NO treats. I know it is tempting to want to give them treats right now - and yes, I do give mine cheerios at this age as I socialize them and play with them. BUT...you don't know what they've been eating...so no treats for at least a week.

Finally - they need playtime and a chance to explore. Although they might be scared - once they get used to the place odds are good they're going to want to run and jump and explore because they're going to have all that baby energy to get out of their system. So have a safe place for them to have supervised playtimes....

You'll do great....

I'm confident that you can be a great baby-bunny mom!

When we got Phinn, I think he was really young. He was less than a pound and could
fit in my 10 year old hand (and I have small hands!).

If you think about it, alot of pet store bunnies are sold at this age.

Peg gave some great advice :)

Peg, you're a lifesaver! And Silvie, thanks for your vote of confidence :). I'm still nervous, but I'm feeling better about things now and have even told the shelter that I'm just going to outright adopt the pair. They need to know they're loved and I just feel in my heart that they're here to stay...forever.

I have them set up in my bedroom in the box the shelter volunteer brought them in. They're too small for NIC pens and I don't have a cage right now. I'm going to stop over at the pet store tomorrow morning while I'm out and about. Technically, for those of you who may remember, I'm supposed to be on bedrest, so I really can't go out until tomorrow and even then it'll have to be a very short trip.

The box has newspaper all the way at the bottom and is then covered in tons of timothy hay. I'll need to get alfalfa for them tomorrow as well. I also put a tissue box in filled with hay so they can cuddle in there if they want as well. I've also put in a small dish of water and one of alfalfa/timothy blend pellets. I only gave a very small amount of pellets and don't have a small enough water bottle for them to fit in the cage, so the dish will have to do for tonight - I'll check it often to make sure it's not soiled and that they have continual access to fresh water.

They're cuddled in their box right now. They're incredibly sweet, but so tiny. I so babies in the pet store about a week ago, but these are even smaller. I'm hoping with patience, love, and much help from this forum I can pull them through. I'm in love already.

Any name suggestions? They're both girls until the gender fairy tells me otherwise. I'm thinking Joy and Faith? I like human names and I'd like names that will be positive so it can help pull them through this and so they can live very long and happy lives with me.

I so appreciate the support and any more advice will be welcomed. I'm so grateful for this forum!

I'm not sure how big they are (and how big the box is) ....and I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but oh well.

If they're getting a goodly amount of playtime outside the box and they aren't destroying it - you could let them live in there for a few days or a couple of weeks and then just make them a NIC cage.....and save the money that you'd put into buying them a cage.

But I'm not sure how big the box is and stuff like that....

Another option would be to get a big laundry basket (the rectangular ones) and let them live in that for say 2 weeks (till they're big enought to not squeeze through the NIC panels).

Also - if you're definitely going to keep them and not afraid about losing your heart to them and seeing them get rehomed....go ahead and start having them play with you on the couch or bed while you watch tv or read a book...stuff like that. Basically - they'll wind up using you as a jungle gym and get used to your scent and stuff.

Rabbits at that age can bond quite well with humans (which is part of why so many breeders let them go so young).....

Oh - I'd also make sure you had some simethicone on hand and some Benebac (I bought another brand called "ProBios" which is the exact same thing). I got mine at the feed store....

:shock:OMG how freaking adorable! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Alexah!!! :shock:

They'll be ok. They are a little young to be away from the mom but luckily they are at an age where they are already nibbling and drinking water, have fur, escape their pens, etc. :pThey'll keep you busy ;)Like Peg said, absolutely no treats. You don't want to risk stomach upsets at this age especially when they aren't completely weaned. Hay, hay, hay and more hay. They'll love playing in it and watching you have to pick up their mess after anyway :pMake sure whatever you home them in is secure because the wee brats can escape very easily. Also make sure to keep them away from drafts.

Breathe in deeply and enjoy the experience. See it as a challenge and an oppurtunity to learn with us by your side, and enjoy while it lasts because they grow up way too quickly. :hug::rose:

If they were boys I would have said Chip and Dale for their names. Hihi. :tongue

Well, the cage thing is figured out as my mom picked up a store bought one that was on sale. They'll stay in there for a couple of weeks and then I'll move them into a NIC pen.

I PM'ed with Randy a bit and he also offered some excellent advice. I have them on the pellets, but will probably also be supplementing them with formula. Not much, but enough to keep them growing as they should. I'll also be picking up some Benebac tomorrow at the feed store nearby. Per Randy I'll be diluting the formula at first so as not to upset their tummies. I still need to find out how much to give them so if anyone knows, please let me know either in this thread or through PM as soon as possible.

They have their hay, water, and a warm place to cuddle up together. They're definitely staying and I've already fallen in major love with them. I'll be letting them play once they geta little more comfortable. Until then I just keep staring at them because they're so adorable!

I really appreciate all the help and I feel a lot more confident knowing that you're all here willing to help when I need it.

My question's simple...kind of.

I have 2 4-week old kits. I spoke with many people and was told to supplement with a specific formula powder which I have now. I just need to know how much to give them. Also I'll be diluting it at first so keep that in mind.

There is no need to supplement healthy kits at 4 weeks. I generally add a few rolled oats to the pellets of young kits and provide a little hay, but no supplements.

Pam

I also read that mucoid enteropathy (sp) is possible in kits taken too soon from their mother. These babies were left at the shelter today and are approximately 4 or so weeks old. Is there anything I can do to safeguard them? I think I'll be heartbroken if they dont make it. I won't supplement with the milk replacer then...they do have pellets and hay. I can get oats tomorrow when I go out to get the benebac.

Well, I'm relieved to say that the babies are still with me this morning. I chose not to supplement with formula last night and just put them in their new cage with a water bottle, a crock of water, and a crock with pellets. The only alfalfa based pellets I had on hand were the Sweet Meadow timothy/alfalfa blend. I also put timothy and alfalfa hay in the cage with them both to eat and to keep warm in. This morning, the babies are huddled together but look to be in good shape. I'll be honest that I haven't handled them yet this morning. I can see that maybe the pellets have been nibbled, but not much. I do think they've also nibbled on some hay. But I did see that there's a good amount of water gone from their crock.

I'm going to hold off on feeding formula at the moment. If at all possible I'd like to see them start eating pellets because from what I understand it's definitely in their best interest. I will supplement with formula if I have to, but I'm hoping that's not the case.

Is there anything I should look out for? When should I say that them eating minimal pellets (if any) isn't enough and consider supplementing with formula? Is there anything I'm missing or should be doing that I'm not?

I really, really appreciate your help on this. You have no idea how grateful I am!

You do not need to supplement with formula :). I am afraid this could throw them off.

If the babies are healthy, then let them be. They are just nibbling pellets because they have tiny tummies. I wouldn't expect them to eat a lot of pellets so soon, but if they are eating a ton of hay...then that is a good thing.

Rabbits are strong and I am pretty sure this isn't the first time babies have been seperated from mom at roughly 4 weeks. Some moms will naturally separate them at this age! When I was at Peg's, a mommy in the garage pushed her kits away at 4 or so weeks....and they did fine!

Take a breather, they are just rabbits in "little form" ;). It's a breeze caring for baby rabbits, just like adults.

ETA: Maybe offering them a pellet slurry would be nice, since it is mushy pellets mixed with water and some oats?

Latest posts

Back