Babies Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

India

Reaction score
It seemsreally easy to mate rabbits, but keeping the babies alive once they are born seems to be really difficult.

Why is this??

You here of so many horrible stories, about the mum dieing or all the babies dieing, its really sad. :(

As a breeder, the majority of the times I lose babies it is because of a new mama who didn't know what to do.

I've heard some breeders call it "first time mother syndrome" and stuff like that.

The doe won't know to build a nest in her nestbox - or maybe she buildsa nest but she winds up getting surprised by labor and not having themin the nestbox.

Sometimes she'll have them but not pull fur. Or she'll have them but overclean them and hurt them or kill them.

Many breeders will give a doe 2-3 chances to have a litter successfully- figuring that the first time may be a loss - maybe the 2nd timesomething goes wrong but by the 3rd time - she better get it right.

The other reason I hear of babies dying is:

a. stillborn - could be for any number of reasons

b. peanuts - got a fatal dwarfing gene from both parents - fatal whenyou get it twice and you are just too small to nurse or survive (thisusually happens in only the smaller breeds)

c. "pencil" babies - these babies are long and slim like apencil 'cause they sat too long in the birth canal waiting to be born -maybe mama was having problems with labor and delivery or had a stuckkit ahead of them and they couldn't get out

Of course, any of these three things could have happen even to experienced moms.

It is really important that people not breed just for "fun" or withoutreading up about it ahead of time. There are consequences to the doe -some does just aren't that strong physically and their immune systemcan be compromised. To risk a pet by breeding her - means you ought tobe prepared to lose her! It may not happen a lot - but it does happen.

Other things that can happen are:

seizures due to lack of calcium or a calcium deficiency in the doe(this is why many breeders will start giving tums around day 28)

stuck kits (more common in the smaller breeds I think)

As a breeder, I often go back to my books and reread about symptoms tomake sure I stay refreshed on them and able to recognize if a doe ishaving problems. I also tend to stay up all night if I have afirst-time mama that is due - so that if she has any problems, I'mnearby and can catch it early.

Peg

Thats all really good advise. My Coco isdefinatly pregnant, it will be her first time, they are due any minute.This morning she was all hunched up and her back leg was hunched up (isthis normal) she couldnt walk on it properly. I checked on her 30 minslater and she was fine.I could see the babies moving andrippling inside her. I have put a nest box, in her hutch. How long doyou think it will be before she gives birth.

I really hope she has no problems,

That is not normal however, when you checked onher that time, could she just have been cleaning herself? Iam glad she is fine now. Keep us updated.

Sharon

She is her happy lively self, at the moment, herleg is fine, I dont know what the problem was, maybe she had cramp. Shehasn't made a nest yet, though. Maybe its to early, its only day 28. Iwill check on her again before I go to bed.

Do you think being a first time mum, she will know what to do.

I've been told that most does have their babies on day 31 and that is pretty true here with my lionheads.

Some does will make a nest days early - some will make a nest earlierthat day - some will frantically make a nest a few moments before birthand some won't make a nest.

So its hard to say what she'll do....

sorry!

Peg

The reason there are soo many problems are themost popular breeds are the smaller breeds.when i first started raisingrabbits these breeds did not exist in the US.raising meduim and largebreed rabbits is much easier they rarely have stuck kits,they dont havepeanuts they have larger litters and rabbits that were poor motherswent in the stew pot, rabbits were mostly raised for meat.most of theshow breeders then were men.bluebird

It is day 30, of cocos pregnancy. She has notreally made a nest yet. I am leaving her quitely and not disturbingher. The babies are kicking like mad. You can see them. I have put anest box in her hutch. Maybe something will happen tonight.

They usually pull fur and make a nest rightbefore giving birth. Don't be alarmed if she doesn't havethem till Tuesday or even Wednesday. I have a doe whoconsistantly waits until the 33rd night to have hers.

Sharon

Latest posts

Back