Babette is sick again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I haven't posted for awhile and part of it isit that I have been so overwhelmed. The shelter recently has had more females and I have been taking them home after spay surgery to recover. For the 1st time I have had some problems with getting them back to eating and pooping. Right now all of them have recovered and are either adopted or back at the shelter.
Gabriel went into stasis last weekend and was at the vet this Mon. He is doing better but is still not pooping his normal (abnormal) large mishapen poops but is going but a lot less.

My elderely guinea pig has over grown molars and I have had to create a soft diet for him until I decide whether to have the surgery (expensive) done or not on an elderly pet. I am cutting his veggies up with scissors so that he can eat them and it is really depressing.

Today Babette had a relapse of her respiratory problem. She sounds like a percolator and coughs. The vet and I had talked about azithromycin several months ago as it seems as if the baytril cannot keep this infection at bay.

I pm'd Randy earlier today as I was concerned about the huge dosage. the vet prescribed 2ml per day for a 6 pound rabbit and 2ml =200mg. If the high dosage is 50 kg per pound it is a dosage that is a little high if 2.2 ml = 1 lb. I gave it to her anyway

Hard to believe but ALL of her symptoms are gone shortly after the first dose. This is hard to believe but true.

I moved her and beau out of the rabbit room so the others are safe and I can see that the meds have had some effect on her appetite but I am going to keep it up for several days anyway.

I am interested in any one else that has used azithromycin-zithromax on their rabbits and their experiences.
I remeber using it years back on myself for a strep throat and it worked exactly like on Babette. Symptoms almost disappeared immedidiately.

Anyway nice to be back on the forum although I am needy and depressed.

Oh dear! It seems like everything happens at once. I hope all is able to be positively resolved.

How old is your guinea pig?

Hi! I'm sorry for Babette, hope she'll be fine soon. I have no personal experience with the use of zithromax, but have read in another forum that it's considered highly effective for respiratory ailments. They have also mentioned sucessfully using it in conjunction with PenG for treating pasteurella.

I'm sure that other members that have actually used it will follow with their advice.

Best of luck,

Marietta

the guinea pig Petey is somehere around 5-6 yrs old at a guess. He was a full grown adult when he was "give away adoption at Petco " and I got him about 4 yrs ago. He has developed bottom molars that grow out towards the center of his mouth so he cannot chew.. The vet does not think that he is in any pain and he doesn't behave as if he is in pain . I would need to find someone to do the surgery and am torn with this decision. I feed him a lot by hand and cut up his veggies with scissors.

babette seems better this AM but so I cautiously optimistic.

Right now I have to give gabriel his meds as he also seems a little better.

Thanks for your concern

the guinea pig Petey is somehere around 5-6 yrs old at a guess. He was a full grown adult when he was "give away adoption at Petco " and I got him about 4 yrs ago. He has developed bottom molars that grow out towards the center of his mouth so he cannot chew.. The vet does not think that he is in any pain and he doesn't behave as if he is in pain . I would need to find someone to do the surgery and am torn with this decision. I feed him a lot by hand and cut up his veggies with scissors.

babette seems better this AM but so I cautiously optimistic.

Right now I have to give gabriel his meds as he also seems a little better.

Thanks for your concern

Babette just had her 3rd dose of azithromycin. She has NO synptoms of the respiratory problem ..they are gone. She is behaving very normal, grooming Beau and also eating well. I am very happy about this and very thankful that Randy was able to help me with the dosage and side-effects. My vet has never given Azithromycin to a rabbit before so it was my idea based on what I had read about Randy's rabbits. She had been on cipro and baytril but the infection continued to return.

This is still early in her treatment but I am very optimistic and grateful.:D

I'm so glad. But, I suspect you knew the symptoms would disapprear on giving it (I'd have to copy/paste that crazy name, lol) again, right?

Keep us posted, hon. Hopefully Randy will chime in for ya.

Latest posts

Back