At what age??? ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think around 6 months, but some vets may do it earlier or later depending on how big he is.

They generally recover rather quickly.The surgery is often done around 6 months of age, when the testicleshave descended. Do be certain to find a veterinarian who isexperienced with rabbit surgery.

Pam

Taken from http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

At what age should rabbits be spayed or neutered?
Females can be spayed as soon as they sexually mature, usually around 4months of age, but many veterinarians prefer to wait until they are 6months old, as surgery is riskier on a younger rabbit.

Males can be neutered as soon as the testicles descend, usually around3-1/2 months of age, but many veterinarians prefer to wait until theyare 5 months old.

Our vet said around 5 to 6 mos. Theywill do it before the testicles drop, but it's harder for them and thebunny. It costs more also.

Bo was about 4 mos when we started seeing hormonal behavior... honkingat me, hopping around me, ramming the cat if he got near me, sprayingME! :X

At 5 mos I found he had little testicles..... I checked him often. He did fine and was neutered on Oct. 21 LOL!

PS. I have heard the larger the breed, the slower they are to have their testicles drop...

that is soooo weird! he was neutered on Oct. 21!lol. I think I will try to call the vet in a couple of minutes to seewhat he thinks (age wise) since my "little" Twinky is getting prettyBIG! I will have to try and post some pictures today!

Also ...what is the price range on getting a malerabbit neutered? At our vet it is around $65. How much is it at yourvets??? ?:)

Is that an exotics or rabbit savvy vet?

Bo cost $100 plus I had them do the pre-operative bloodwork which helpsthem determine if he can withstand anesthesia and gives them a goodidea of his normal bloodcounts for future use :) That was anadditional $42 I think. All in all, it's worth it :)

Yes one of their specialties is rabbits. I mightbe wroing on the price, but even if it was $300 I would still get itdone because its whats best for the bunny!:):):):)

rabbitluvr04 wrote:
Yes one of their specialties is rabbits. I might be wroingon the price, but even if it was $300 I would still get it done becauseits whats best for the bunny!:):):):)
That's a great price then! If you can afford it, ask themabout the bloodwork. The way they explained it to me is thatif something ever happens and bo gets sick, they can compare hishealthy bloodwork to the illness ones and it might help them find theproblem. I hope it never happens, but that and the fact theycheck for the anesthesia tolerence, was worth it for myBo-ber.

I didn't care how much it was either. It's healthier for him and for us to have him in the house.

Latest posts

Back