Are different breeds different in personality?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavygirl

Reaction score
:bunnydance:Hi! I am new to thisforum! I have 7 cavies but no bunnies yet. I amgoing to a show this weekend and am probably going to venture out topurchase 1-3 bunnies...does anyone have an opinion on which breed theythink is the nicest to have as a pet?.....Or is not more the breed asit is individual personality?....Iwas thinking about the Rexor the mini Rex.....

Hello there and welcome to the forum:welcome1

In regards to breeds and personality, you may hear myths about breeds,the fact is every bunny is different, you cannot really tell what abunnies personality will be from its breed.:)

If you were thinking rex, I'd go for it!!:elephant: The fur isunbelievable, the nicest feeling in the world!! I recently lost my minirex:(, butI have no doubt I will be getting more at somepoint in the future.:nod

Welcome again.:wave:

Michaela:), Ebony:bunny5and Pebble:anotherbun

Thanks for the welcome! I wasoriginally interested in buying a Rex....but they seem pretty hard tofind over here.....Ca, USA.....so I think I'm going to purchase a minirex....My family and I went to a farm and I held a mini rex and it wassuper soft....I just knew I had to buy one :eek:)

Brittany:bunnydance:

:wave2Welcome to the forum! If you arethinking of a rex then I'd say go for it, yes they have beautiful furbut they also have the cheekiest, 'in-your-face' characters. Also I'dgo for a standard, but thats just my personal preference.;)Ilove bigger bunnies!:lol

My girl was a mini rex, it doesn't bother mewhat size they are lol.All I care about is thefur!!!:hyper: If a mini rex is all you can find that's no problem:D

And I have to agree with Jess (Bunnys_Rule) my Berri was a cheeky little thing too!;)

I wanted a bigger one...they're just so darnhard to find in southern California...(the bigger Rex)....and when yousay "standard"....do you mean standard sized Rex?....

Thanks for the welcome!

Brittany :bunnydance:

Polish are a treat for shure my polish boy wasamazing ..and i miss him so mutch...he just passed like 10 min ago...ihave never seen sutch a good temperment in a bunny and prob neverwill:):(

Welcome!

If youre just looking for a pet, have you considered checking localshelters and rescues? There are so many rabbit rescues in CA itsamazing (more than any other state, probably because that is where theHouse Rabbit Society is based).

If you buy from a rescue, they already come spayed and neutered, itsincluded in the fee. That saves you a lot of time and effort.

Heres a link to a listing of CA rescues:http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11713&forum_id=13

Good Luck in your search!

Welcome!

I second the rescue reccomedation. If you're not planning toshow, in my opinion, it is better to get a rabbit from a shelter orrescue. I don't know where you are in So. Cal, I'm in LA andI volunteer with the city shelters. There are certainly rexesor mini rexes that pop up in rescues, be aware that they aren't alwaysproperlyidentified in their pictures. For example,just about every bunny in my shelter is called a "domestic shorthair"Even ones that are obviously dwarves or dutch.

Here are a few mini rexes in the LA area.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7593319

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7208909

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6372276

Hi!

I am not sure if I'm interested in showing or not, I was contemplatingit.....Thanks for all the tips from y'all about the rescue rabbitsthough!

Brittany:bunnydance:

No matter where you get your bunny from - don'tlook at just the soft fur and coloring (which is easy to do - trust meon that!). Take the time to sit and play with the bunny. Will it cometo you at all? Does it duck and hide?

Talk to the caretaker (rescue rabbit) or breeder - and find out therabbit's personality and likes and dislikes. As a breeder, I can tellyou about almost every rabbit (the older ones) - who likes what - whois friendly and curious - who is more likely to be shy. With theyounger ones, it is harder for me to tell - but I will always gladlyshare what I have observed.

Anyway, I think its great you want to get a rabbit. I had 2mini-rex/lionhead mixes that were absolutely hilarious. We called one"Pick me!' because every time I walked by the cage he bounced around toget my attention.

Peg

Latest posts

Back