Apollo's Size

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
I just had to tell someone. I got to thinkingabout how big Apollo is. I was wondering if maybe he is too big. So Ipicked up the ARBA handbook, no luck. same with the NFFGRBhandbook. So I emailed the breeder who I got him from. I got thereply:

a 6 month old buck should weigh about 11 pounds but not flabby.

I feel so relieved. My baby is supposed to be huge. If there is anounce of flab on him I will eat his hat. You pic Apollo up you know youare carrying around 11 pounds.Sorry, I know it's silly but I was sorelieved and excited knowing he is right where he should be I just hadto share.

Tina

Thank you for the websites. The thing I'vebeen trying to find is like how much a Flemish should weigh at like 3months, 6 months, & 9 months. I don't know if bunnies gothrough growth spurts. But Apollo has gained almost 3 pounds in thelast month. But after talking to the breeder I feel a lot better. Itsounds silly but I feel like a good bunny mom knowing he is where heshould be weight wise. Maybe I worry too much lol.

Ohhhhh ... I seeeee.:) I totally understand your concern. It doesn'tsound silly at all.

In everything I've read, much has been made of obesity as adetriment to bunny's longevity and health, so I can certainlyunderstand you wanting to know where his weight should be at certainstages of his development.

Will see if I can find other links specifically related to this. :cool:

Thank you. Maybe you'll have better luck thanI did. I looked everywhere I could think of and couldn't find anything.What got me thinking about it is my son went for one of his follow upsyesterday and he's 93 pounds, pretty big for his age and I started towonder what Apolloshould weigh at certain ages. Thank you for helpingme look. You are an angel.

Tina

ARBA's STANDARD OF PERFECTION, for 1996thru 2000 lists Flemish Giant "Senior Bucks-8 months and over, weight13 pounds or over." It goes on to say, among otherthings, "A well balanced Flemish Giant has good, heavy bone, not lightor fine. In contests between animals that are nearly equal,the animal with the best balance should win. While alarge, heavy animal is desired(boldface is my emphasis), a smaller,well balanced animal in good condition, with good fur and color shallwin over a larger animal not possessing these qualities." Pg118

The point is, Flemish are supposed to be big guys. Weunderstand that with our minds, but seeing Apollo up alongside Jeremyis still quite a shock to most of us who may not have seen Giantspreviously.

I like to joke about his size with you, but I didn't mean to give youany cause for concern about obeisity on his part.His pictures, with no frame of reference to a "known" sized object,make him appear quite normal, and not over weight. That's whyhe was such a surprise to us, when you posted his pic withJeremy. I just think it is a hoot to own such a cool rabbitand if I didn't have so many right now, I would definitely consider agiant after your stories and experiences.

Not to worry. I don't think any of us think Apollo is a fattie!

Buck

When I discovered the Flemish Giant breed, I was taken aback. I would love to have one as well. There such amazing animals.

Was it Bunty that posted the picture of her Flemish Giant? Sorry if Ihave the wrong person, but he was impressive. She posted pictures ofhim in a stroller and with her husband. Did you see those pics Dajeti2?

Sarah wrote:
WhenI discovered the Flemish Giant breed, I was taken aback. I would loveto have one as well. There such amazing animals.
I totally agree, not that I don't totally love Jess....but those big bunnies just make me oooo and awwwwwww

I think apollo is awesome, and I also think you are a rockin' bun mom to be concerned

I guess after what happend last month I'mreally concerned about his health and well being. I guess I needed toknow he's ok, not under-weight or anything. I didn't realize thatFlemish put on that kind of weight in spurts. But now I know it'snormal. My baby is growing up.

Buck, I know you never meant that Apollo is fat or anything. Infact, I get a kick out your reaction and everyone else's. You arealways making me laugh with Apollo's *sneakers* lol. I

Sarah, I did in fact see the pics you are referring to. Apollo is getting his own stroller in two weeks lol.

JessicaRabbit, thank you so much for your kind words.

Tina

apollo is one handsome fella!!!

i have been reading alot about flemish giants and am very interested inthem. considering that breed being my next bunny. or atleast a couplebunnies down the line. :)

Bringing this back for Fergi.

-Carolyn

Thank you. Maybe you'll have betterluck than I did. I looked everywhere I could think of and couldn't findanything. What got me thinking about it is my son went for one of hisfollow ups yesterday and he's 93 pounds, pretty big for hisage and I started to wonder what Apolloshould weigh at certainages. Thank you for helping me look. You are an angel.

Tina
I was trying to read through this threadin a hurry. Glanced over this and thought "MY GOD, THAT'S A BIGRABBIT!" :shock: Thought it was Apollo @93LBS!!!

Raspberry

Murphy is 4 months old and around 8 lbs. Does that sounds about right for his age?

Tina, how much does Apollo weigh now? Do you have any recentpictures? I'm sure everyone would love to see him.

Bumped up the latest pictures of Apollo for you, babydoshia. I think he's 14 lbs. at this point.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back