anyone with pet mice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
A few weeks ago we got my son a pet mouse withmoney he earned for his own pet. Its his job to give it water and feedit and clean its cage, but i do check on it to make he is doing it. Sofar so good. I try and pet it and for the first time yesterday thelittle stinker bit me and drew blood. Luv dont even draw blood when shebites, my son said it bit him too.

Anyone know of a way to make the mouse more friendly? Or are they notreally a hands on pet. We want to get it a playmate but not sure if itsa girl or a boy. We are thinking girl casue it was with another mouseand it was on the adoption table. I wouldnt think they would put a boyand a girl mouse together to have more mouse babies.

Off this subject i think my cats miss going outdoors. since we moved wetry and keep them in. I see two of them trying to pester thebunnies more. two of my cats were playing ping ball with luv swattingher back and forth, and she was kinda going with it. So maybe it wasall play but it makes me nervous.

Cristy

Well, no, mice are really not a hands-on pet.Think of how big your hands look to them. Ang getting a playmate isreally a 50/50 chance that you may end up with babies. Just try to givethe lil' gal things that will keep her occupied, she'll be prettyself-entertaining.

And, can I just say "thank you" for making the decision to keep yourcats indoors. I'm sure they'll adjust, and in the long run it's betterfor them. :D

I guess it depends on the mouse. Wepurchased a mouse as a pet also, despite my husband's warning wordsthat mice do not make good pets, are fast, hard to hold and it'll runaway. "Miss Ruth" proved him wrong and is a darling littlemouse who is easy to catch and would never dream of biting.She's very "hands on" and makes a good pet.

Pam

most of the women in my family are terrified ofmouses for some reason. My grandmother jumped on a table ones when shesaw a mouse and she does not jump at all.
Its funny.

Interesting article. "Miss Ruth" israther aloof and would never consider accepting hand fedtreat. Our little hamster, however, is anotherstory LOL

Pam

I had a pet mouse when I was a kid and he wasvery affectionate with me. I would put my hand in the cageand let him come to me. At first he was very shy, but after a while hewould climb onto my hand. I'd keep my hand still, letting him get usedto it. After a while, he'd come running over when he saw me and we werevery close.

I always remember that little mouse fondly, even 20+ years later! Yikes! It's been THAT long......

thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I saved the website. It has some helpful tips about mice in general.

My main reason for trying my best to keep my cats indoors is causebefore we moved my oldest kitty was attacked by two dogs and lived tomeow about it. She still trys to get out but is easy to catch cause ithink she is afraid somewhat. They are getting used to it.

Cristy

I've had mice a lot. And sure, whenthey are scared the first reaction is to bite. Best thing Ican say is bribery =) and make sure your son or you doesntgrab at the mouse while he or she (i REALLY hope you got a she, malerodents smell something fierce!) is in the cage.

Of course, the size issue is why rats are usually nicer, and why the larger dog breeds are usually better for children =)

Same instincts... bigger body, they know they dont have to show everyone who is boss ;)

Now i am afraid of the little mouseyhaha. It drew blood. This may be mean but i joked to my son iwas going to feed it to the kitty!! Of course i never would.Then he joked if i did we would have fried cat for dinner. ewww

Cristy

MOUSEY!

Spose i should tell you this really. For those of you whoknew about the "mousey" situation heres what happened.

After mousey died i placed mousey in a lil box filled with hay and straw. And i asked mum or dad to bury her.

I found out a few days later that dad had buried her without me knowing. I was so upset, because i never got to say goodbye.

Anywayssssssss

Goodluck with your mouse, I think that they are great friends. My mouse definatley was.

I know, I know... but it was too cute, I have to share. :D Watch out for those mice! They might be armed!

That was too cute!!!! Thanks for the laugh. Now i am really scared haha

Oh....*hugs*

Mousy's alright now. But here you go anyway...

df_bgerb.jpg

Latest posts

Back