Anyone Had Any Mishaps

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kricket

Reaction score
I would LOVE to take the buns to the park ontheir harness. Of course I would watch all of the otheranimals at the park and pick up my bun if anything got tooclose. But I want to take into account anything that can gowrong. Anyone have stories? Let's discuss...

I'll be totally honest, we have had a problem once, but it wasn't an animal it was a child.

I had taken Apollo to the park and he was running around. Agroup of young children around preschool age saw him and came runningover. Apollo seems them and lays down, he knows he's about to get someloving. The parents come over and are asking me a million questionsabout him. I turned my head to answer on of the moms when a child tookdirt and threw it Apollo's eyes.

He then procceeded to try and get the dirt of his face by pulling Apollo's fur out and poking him in the eyes.

I snatched Apollo up and luckily had a huge bottle of water andflushed his eyes out. I was irate and blamed myself for not watchinghim more closely.

Now whenever we go to the park I either sit on a blanket rightbeside him or right beside him when he's in his stroller. That way I amright there to head of any mischievious youngster.

I thank God that his eye sight wasn't affected. I still feel bad about it.

I have been taking Apollo everywhere ever since He was 4 months old, and I've only had one incident.

There was one other incident where a young boy was convincedthat Apollo was the Easter Bunny and I had to let him go. Apollo wasnever harmed but boy did my shins take a serious beating.

Tina

youre biggest issue is getting on yourbun...from there its cake..........i started freddy out by gentlypetting him, not letting him see the harness and then eventuallygetting him in my arm where he couldnt get away and slowly put it onhim...like try to keep petting as your clipping it on. .....now monthslater he is completely unphased by it and just sits there while i putit on..........

i know that Naturestee had a bad experience with it so you may want to discuss it with her as well!

my bun dont like the harness...i have a lil playpen area i take him out in ...still freaks me out though...we have alotof hawks around here but i NEVER leave him alone...im thinking ofgetting him on of those carriers like you carry a newborn in....theones close to your chest.

I was walking Devon and Amber around the housewith a harness, and they both slipped out on multiple occasions. Thankgod they were inside!

bunnydude wrote:
I was walking Devon and Amber around the house with aharness, and they both slipped out on multiple occasions. Thank godthey were inside!
Devon,

Hagen makes both bunny and ferret harnesses....originally the bunny onewas too big for Freddy so I used the ferret sized one and it fit himperfectly ....if you cant find that brand ..you can twist the strap soit makes it shorter and once its clipped it wont unravel and yourbunnys wont slip out :)

h269.jpg

00674.jpg

I like the SuperPet Comfort Stretchharness. BunBun is a bit chunky so the straps on regular onesdon't dig into him.. The only bad thing that happened waswhen he got loose, but that was because i wasn't paying attention andletting him go where he wanted to and he was tugging and broke throughthe velcro.:? I also forgot to put on the snaps, thats why hebroke through. oops.:D

The first time I used the leash, Pebbleshad no problems wearing it. But I strapped it on too looseshe easily slipped out of it.

IMGA1629.jpg

Rainbows! :)

My previous bun hate the harness and will juststand still n not move when she's on the harness. My present bun,however, does not bother about the harness. i put ot on him very easilyand then he just kept walking.

COOL! Good to know everyone'sexperiences! I have been putting them on their harnesses andthey are ok with it. We definately need more practice in thehouse on the harness before an outing.

Tina-thanks for sharing your story. I never even thought ofkids! Know I think I...err...ummm...WE will be ready soon tohit the park!

You are going to have to bring your camera hun. I am going to want to see pictures of your beauties at the park.

Itis really a lot of fun. We love it and try and goasoften as we can. Lately it's been so hot here Apollo hasn't been tothe park since the beginning of July.

Tina

we had one bun come into rescue thatbroke its back due to the harness. she was used to theharness and the owners had used one on her daily for over 4 years,something spooked her she flipped got tangeled up in the leash and itsnapped her lower back in 2. just be very cautious on wherethe bunny is when using one. would hate to see something spook them andthis happen again. we had to have the poor bunny put downbecause she was in so much pain.

brimmhere wrote:
we had one bun come into rescue that broke itsback due to the harness. she was used to the harness and theowners had used one on her daily for over 4 years, something spookedher she flipped got tangeled up in the leash and it snapped her lowerback in 2. just be very cautious on where the bunny is whenusing one. would hate to see something spook them and this happenagain. we had to have the poor bunny put down because she wasin so much pain.
OMG I'm so glad that didn't happen to me! I tried twodifferent harnesses on Mocha. The first one was theone that Pebbles is wearing. She did everything she could toget it off and was not happy. So we tried a second one, whichwas a figure 8 puppy harness. As soon as her feet touched thefloor she went into full panic mode. I just could not catchher! It ended when she got caught and was thrashing aroundscreaming. James scooped her up and took the harness off andchecked her all over. Then we gave her some time- it took herlike a half hour to move again! She was just spooked, thoughand turned out to be okay.

Well, the first time Katy and I put the harnesson Emmy, she was rather jumpy at first, but then again, kind of angry.But the more we put the harness on Emmy, the more she got used to it.Now, we can hook up the harness to Emmy and she can chill in the nicecool breeze in our backyard. :cool:

Although, I don't think that Emmy is quite ready for the park yet. ;)

I guess I'm just lucky because I have put the harness on all of mine and haven't had a problem with any of them.

Something I would like to suggest is try using a retractableleash. The type they sell for dogs. I have used a standard leash andthen tried the retractable and W:shock:W.

I use it in the yard all the time. They can be as close or asfar as they want. Plus if they were ever to panic and bolt they have 20feet of leeway. Just a thought.

Tina

Agreed, theretractable leash is a must. When we've gone to the park, Rexwill be a good lil' boy and hop a little bit at a time (usually to getmore pats from the kids).

But Peanut likes to run as far as her legswill take her, which means I am constantly trying to keep up:run:

I think she does it just so people canlaugh at the human being dragged around by a five pound ball o'fur:disgust:

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

Latest posts

Back