Anyone ever used this bedding? And I need advice.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
I am using alfalfa hay for Haley's litter box, and changing it everyday, sometimes twice a day. However, it doesn't absorb worth a... well, poop. The pee goes straight through it, and I have to soak that stinky stuff up everyday.

I was using Airlite chips, but she decided she wanted to eat them. Same thing Harper did before I litter pan trained him. He ate the bedding, and got a blockage that sent us to an emergency vet long ago.

Anyways, I found this stuff:

http://www.oxbowhay.com/Shop/showProduct.sp?PRODUCT_NO=59

I like how it is extremely absorbent and made from thefiberof wheat grass . It says it's not only safe if consumed, but actually beneficial. I also like how it isn't easily kicked out.

I thought about ordering this bedding, OR buying one of those litter pans with a grate over it so she can't get to the bedding. Which do y'all think is better? The bedding is highly dang expensive with the shipping. Shipping is $14.21, which is more than the actual product!

Here are two of the litter pans, plastic and metal (the one I am getting Harper, since he loves to chew every plastic pan I buy him):

http://bunnyrabbit.com/equipmentpix/litterpan_lockOn.jpg

http://bunnyrabbit.com/equipment%20pix/litterpan.jpg

Thanks inadvance!

If you're going to try a pellet litter, why not try one of the wood-based ones like Woody Pet or Equine Pine? They're kiln dried so no worries of the toxic oils, they're the best litter I've ever used, and if you can find them at a farm store you can get them super cheap! There are expensive pet store versions too like Feline Pine.

My only concern is her eating the bedding and getting a blockage. That's one thing thatI likeabout the Oxbow bedding, it said that it was safe if ingested and was actually beneficial. I've heard of Woody pet, is it safe if ingested?

Eating Woody Pet is the same as eating wood. My buns used to nibble their Carefresh sometimes, but they don't nibble this stuff at all. They have better wood stuff to chew on, I guess. For the average $5 per 40-50 pound bag, it's worth trying.

I'd never be able to use cardboard chips. Loki would gulp them down like potato chips!:shock:

Thanks naturstee, I'll definitely look into it for that price! There's only one place in LA that sells the cardboard chips, and it's in another town. I drive over an hour away once every 2 months to buy three 50lbs bales of it for $8 a bale.

I used to have Harper on straight bedding, with no litter box, because he was a heck of a bunny to litter pan train and I gave up for a while. Then one day he ate the bedding and got a blockage, and was rushed to an ER vet. After that, I removed all bedding, and just put it in his litter pan, and he never ate it since.

I'll look into the Equine Pine and Woody Pet at the place I buy the cardboard chips. It's a horse feed and farm supply place, so if anyone has it, they should.

Have you checked out Pet_Bunny's Bunny Blog for Pebbles? She has a great idea in there about how to do a litterbox rather inexpensively that has a grate for bunny to keep from stepping in the litter.

Here's the link:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=9548&forum_id=6&page=4

Enjoy! :)

P.S. In another thread, she mentioned that the screen she uses in it is a plastic knitting screen that she found at a craft store, and cut to size. :)

I use Yesterday's News. My bun never tries to eat it but if he did, would it be dangerous? I just like it because it isn't messy and it is really good with odor. Is it possible though that my bun might get a blockage??

maherwoman, that litter pan in that thread was a great idea! However, if it's cardboard or plastic, Harper will eat it. We have bought 6 plastic litter pans in about 6 weeks. A pan a week, basically. Right now he doesn't have a pan, until I can buy his metal one. Which I have some questions on, so I'm about to go post those. :D

I used a metal cake rack as a screen, like the kind you cool cookies on. It works great. Gretchen sits in her litter box more than before. She also eats more hay and doesn't dig her woody pet out.

I would try the plastic screen though!! I loved the tutorial on how to clean the litter box. I might switch out the cake rack and try that. I think you can buy that plastic canvas in the craft section.

Oops...I'm such a dork...see my correction below...

:embarrassed::lookaround:thud:imstupid:biggrin:imsorry:blushan

maherwoman wrote:
Have you checked out Pet_Bunny's Bunny Blog for Pebbles? He has a great idea in there about how to do a litterbox rather inexpensively that has a grate for bunny to keep from stepping in the litter.

Here's the link:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=9548&forum_id=6&page=4

Enjoy! :)

P.S. In another thread, she mentioned that the screen she uses in it is a plastic knitting screen that she found at a craft store, and cut to size. :)

Latest posts

Back