Anyone Else's Cat Use Their Bun's Litterbox?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdieRabbitsMom

Reaction score
My cats have taken to jumping in Edie Rabbit's pen and using her litterboxes (I have two in there for her). They have their own, so I'm not sure why they have now felt the overwhelming desire to use hers. Poor Edie had cat poo on her fur one day and today, I went to clean the litterboxes and there was cat poo in one and cat poo in front of the other....which makes Edie NOT want to use her litterbox, understandably.

I use the "Yesterday's News" for small animals. Anyone else have that problem or is it just me. I've tried to move everything away from the outside of the pen so that the cats have nothing to jump onto to get in there. Not that they still couldn't jump in, but at least I made it more difficult for them. We will see how it works. I feel badly b/c Edie really likes the cats and when they go in her pen, she follows them around. I think she would bond to them if they would let her. Hopefully hubby will let me get a bun friendfor Edie soon. But I digress.....:thanks:

Do you have an NIC cage for Edie? Can you put a top on the pen? I don't allow our cat in Snuff's cage, that's his sanctuary and personally feel no other should just walz in on him, plus our cat is super nosey:p. When I leave his cage door open for an extended period for him to decide if he wants to come out (he's weird and has to think about it for about 30 minutes:biggrin2:) she wonders in there and tries to drink his water, so we have to watch her, little turd;). Our cat just loves Snuff and just wants to play with him, but I havelimits for her. She likes to chase so we have to watch her with that as well. Snuff doesn't seem to mind though;).

I don't think the cat would appreciate bun poos/scent in their litterboxes as the buns I'm sure don't appreciate cat's in theirs, lol. Snuff doesn't even approve of me cleaning his cage out (he's proud of his messes!):p.

I'm not really sure what to do. Igave Edie free reign over the garage at one point and she was doing very well with that. Unfortunately, the cat's litterbox is out there, too, and they just one daystarted using hers and not theirs. I thenputtwo marshall playpens together for her living spaceto try to detour them from going in there with her, but leaving her plenty ofroom to hop around.

I wouldn't even care (and I don't think that she does either) if they went into her pen if they would just stay out of her litterbox. She really likes the cats. She is a big bunny (10 lbs), though,and I hate the idea of keeping her cooped up all day in an NIC cage. She is as big as the cats are, so I like giving her lots of room to roam around.

I don't see how I could put a cover on her pen...it is a huge area. It really isn't fair to her. She isn't the one that is causingthe problem, but she is the one that has to suffer. I can't bring the cat'slitterbox or her inside, as my husband gets really grossed out by the litterbox and he is REALLY allergic to Edie, love herthough he may. Funny, though...cats don'tbother him that much.

Poor Edie...I've had her for a year now and the cats just started with this a few weeks back. I have noidea why. Ihaven't changed anything. They just seem drawn to it, even though they havea clean and more easily accessable litterboxof their own. I am guessing that I am the only one that has this experience since nobody has indicated that they have a problem too. Darn cats....well, I really love them, too. I just wish they would respect their big sister a bit more and use their own litter.

Cats are kinda funny about litter pans, aren't they?They LOVE multiple litter boxes...if there were 25 of them in the room, they would each like to visit every single one!"Mine! Mine! oooo, THIS IS MINE TOO!!"

Our cat usually doesn't get into the bun cages when the buns are out running, but he does get into the dog's cage! The dog doesn't have a litter box, of course, but kitty just has to get in there and nose around, chin everything, etc. It might have to do with, he really likes our dog, but completely ignores all 15 of our buns. He ignores them as only a cat can..."Mom and Dad don'tlet me play with you; therefore you are not even worth noticing! You don't even exist!"

I hope you can get it figured out!

Our cats don't really mess with Zambonie's litter box but Zamboni does get into the cat's from time to time. Talk about a big mess!!! Nothing like 15+ pounds of clay litter in front of the box.We have a dig box for him and the ferrets but for some reason he prefers the cats box.lol

The first time it happened I just figured one of the cats got carried away with pawing in the box; then it happened again and Dana told me that I had over filled the cat box and the cats had made a mess. Third time was a charm and he was caught red handed or should I say red pawed.

Long story short we now partition that part of the hallway off so he can't jump over the linoleum onto the mat that the cat box is on.

Latest posts

Back