Anyone else have outdoor hutches in the winter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmais_mommy

Reaction score
I bought a large and a medium hutch and moved them to the porch for the winter. I've also customized them with a fuzzy dog bed in the hide box and a heated dog bed over the grated part. To protect them from wind, i put a plastic cover of some sort over the window grated part. They get enough ventilation, trust me. I would never put Katmai in harm's way. I think outdoor buns are fine as long as you know what you're doing :) Here's my set-up.

jkohif017.jpg

I do :) I'm in the UK though so I have no idea what your weather is like :) The last couple of nights it's been about -3oC here.

One thing I'd suggest is insulating the roof. Heat rises so if you put heat in at the bottom it will go out through the roof. If you insulate the roof so less heat can escape then it stays warmer. An old duvet or blankets over the top works, I've got insulating foil, bubble wrap then a folded sheet.

I use a snuggle safe heatpad at night. Just be careful with anything with wires that they don't chew them.

Latest posts

Back