anyone allergic to their bunnies and have learned ways to deal with it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinaturbo

Reaction score
I honestly believe Im allergic to the bunniesbut there is NO way they are moving! My eyes sometimes become crustyand leak after handling them for a while. This doesnt happen all thetime. Any tips appreciated - thanks

Hello there, i Too suffer with allergies, im nottoo bad with Sammy my bun, but if she struggles when i pickher up and her hair malts on struggles and they get up my nose i getitchy for a while, my sister gets itchy eyes the minute shewalkes into my house (sammy lives indoors) and a mate of mine alsosuffers and have to put her way in her room when they come tovisit. I do have to say with some of the hay i use i getallergic to and im sneezing for the whole day after. I dontreally know what you can do to help but you would always try takingsome allergy tablets but then again you dont want ot be taking thempermanently and even so you would become ammune to the tabletsanyway. Its just one of those things i think, butif anyone has some good ideas/tips then bring them on !!!

Many people who are allergic to rabbits areactually allergic to the hay. I'm allergic to hay, and sincethe rabbits practically bathe in hay I tend to sneeze and get runnyeyes when I pick them up. Some people find that certain typesof hay such as orchard grass irritate their allergies less.It's also very important to get the least dusty hay possible.Those small bags in pet stores are always really dusty.Fresh, good quality bales are much better (and easier on your wallet).

I take Claritin almost year-round now because my seasonalallergy"season"keeps growing. During theworst months, I also take Flonase which is a prescription nasalspray. I've been taking these for years and they are not lesseffective than they used to be. It probably takes a very longtime to become "immune" to these meds. If it's really bad,you can also talk to your docter about taking a series of shots thatshould permanently improve your allergies.

Other things that help- air purifiers and frequent vacuuming.

I'm also allergic to bunnies but as a double wammy I am also allergic to hay. :shock:

I just deal with it, honestly I could care less if I'm sneezing but inthe summer I do live on Reactine because with them moulting and the hotweather, my allergies go nuts. It's not so bad in the winter becausethey don'tshed but I still get a runny nose and itchy/wateryeyes.

Mine are housed outside though, but not because of my allergies --because of my dad's. He cannot breathe and his eyes swell shut sounfortunately they have to stay outside (not that they mind).

I'm allergic to cats, but we have cats. AlthoughI don't think I'm allergic to bunnies. With the cats, my eyes get allitchy, red, and puffy, my nose starts running, and I sneeze a lot. Itake prescription medicine for it, and it really, really helps. I thinkwith the proper medicine and precautions (washing your hands a lot,etc.) unless the allergies are SEVERE, such as MBB's dad, then a personcan willingly live with an animal they are allergic to.

I'm allergic to cats, but we have cats. AlthoughI don't think I'm allergic to bunnies. With the cats, my eyes get allitchy, red, and puffy, my nose starts running, and I sneeze a lot. Itake prescription medicine for it, and it really, really helps. I thinkwith the proper medicine and precautions (washing your hands a lot,etc.) unless the allergies are SEVERE, such as MBB's dad, then a personcan willingly live with an animal they are allergic to.

My first rabbit Smelly was supposed to be an indoors one but then my mom realized she was allergic and he got switched.

I have severe allergies to my rabbits, hay,grass, flowers, perfumes of any sort, soaps etc etc. I find theallergies die down a lot in winter but in summer I use a generalhayfever nose spray which, if used daily, privides excellent relief. Iused to take weekly injections for the hayfever but they got tooexpensive.

My hubby Tony just pops a Reactine when his eyesstart to bother him! I am allergic to cats (we have 5) and Ido the same thing! So far it has worked for us! Iguess we'll see how things are when we are all cooped up over thewinter!;)

Back