Any way to tell a bunny's age?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marrie

Reaction score
The shelter had no idea how old my bun was when I picked him up - is there any way to tell? Or is it like birds, they are either babies or adults?

You can usually get an accurate age up until about 6 months. After that most breeds are considered adults so telling the age can be tricky. For larger breeds, you might be able to tell until about 8-10 months.
Shelters and vets might go by looking to see if the rabbit acts younger or older (older rabbit could be less active). While doing an exam, a vet might be able to find some things that could point to a rabbit being on the older side.
Pretty much once they get to be adults you can't really tell the age. You can go for a younger adult and an older rabbit, but pinpointing it beyond that is probably not going to happen.

Ok, thanks, figured that was the case. He's an adult is all they could say, same as with my bird since he's gotten his adult feathering. Ah well. :)

Was gonna say pretty much the same--it's easier to spot a youngster than an adult, but the only thing with adults that gives away their age is when they hit the geriatric stage. If only my crystal ball wasn't in the shop or my OUIJA board wasn't broken. Lost my magic 8 ball years ago too.

Back