any ideas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AquaticRex

Reaction score
i'm heading out in a few to get some grid pieces to make my rabbit a better cage, since the one i was making turned into a complete disaster... i definitely don't want to keep him in the cage he has now, since 1: i think its too small for him since i added a large igloo/house and a couple of toys and 2: i want something that i can make into 2 spaces since Dante is a un-neutered male and Chubbs is coming over again and she is an un-fixed female.

i'm going out and getting 50-60 grid pieces and a whole mess of zip-ties. any ideas on how i can make my pen work for 2 rabbits when chubbs is here and where i can take maybe 1 or 2 squares out for when its just Dante? space is not an issue but i would like for it to be at least have one level up...

my new bun pen, not finnished yet. need to move it to the basement in a few days. i'm in it so you can have an idea on how big it is. i'm 5 foot 7.

SDC12056.jpg

I wouldn't do much more until you move it. They are be awkward to move and it might not fir through the doors or hallways. You might need to cut it apart lengthwise to be able to move it.

the doors here are pretty wide. if it weren't for the stairs, i would think the place was meant for wheelchairs lol

Ahh ok. I just know that I can't fit a 2 grid wide cage through the doors or hallways in my house. I learned that the hard way. You could try it just to be sure, just use 2 grids and see if they will fit.

It is a nice cage.

thank you lol. yea its 4 leingth, 2 width and for the moment 2 high. i plan on making a wood frame to make it solid and zip tie it to the frame, but i plan on making it 4-5 grids high (with supports of course). i had just closed the top 2 spots and made the 2 center bottom pieces so that they flip up and clamp to the upper part of the cage so that the rabbit can go in and out as he pleases. i'm also planning on connecting another few panels to make a run area. he's supposed to go into the "laundry room" (which lacks laundry stuff), so there is alot of room in there. all thats going in there with him is a futon that we don't use and a hot water tank. so cleaning should be easy since there is a drain and a hose in there. im just having trouble getting my hands on coroplast for the floor. he started chewing on the mats that were in there (yoga mats) so i had to take them out. i put the old bottom into the cage for him to use for litter and stuff and so far its working. i want to get an actual corner litter pan for him. since a lot of you prolly have guys in your lives, how do you get the guys to stop complaining that your spending too much on the bun? all i wanna do is get a litter pan for my bun and my live in boyfriend is complaining that i'm spending too much on Dante. like, big deal. i made a new cage for him and want to make a bottom to the cage. then i'm buying something that will make cleaning easier. and he has the nerve to complain about it!! it's not like i spend a lot. i've only spent maybe $60 on the grids and maybe $10 on the flooring. thats nothing compared to the cost of an actual cage this size. also, how do you get them to listen to you when you say you can't put just wood for the floor? cause it will mold and rot from the pee. but he seems set on using just a piece of plywood... and he says i'm wasting money. he's going to have to buy the wood, realize that i was right, then i get to say "i told you so" and then he gets moody cause i was right then he starts arguing on how my idea of using coroplast with bin lids cut and taped around it won't work (the lids are to create a lip so that nothing leaks over the sides). then when it works (cause i did it before) he gets more moody. any advice?

Point of caution: rabbits can mate through the grids. It's happened before.

A cheap litter pan can be made from a dollar store wash basin. No point in buying some 15 dollar one from the pet store.

Buy the wood like he suggests, but cover it with a shower liner to prevent pee from going through. Then, if you cover it over with seagrass mats, then it keeps them busy.

lol your smart :p even my boyfriend likes your idea :p are there any ideas on what to do for the rabbits? cause i have the large nic grid cage and i need to kind of customize it to fit the 2 rabbits. i'm thinking of fixing Dante but i'm not sure. i don't really like the idea 100%. should i put a sort of "no-man's-land" thing with a few inches of space between the 2 areas with a piece of cardboard between them? also. it's been about a month since they've been around each other. would they still be a bonded pair? they are from the same litter. Dante had no problem with Chubbs being in the same cage as him before but i'm curious as to how it will work now. i might have to make another makeshift pen for Chubbs when she gets here...

I vote for the no-man's land.
I don't know if their bond has broken, or not... it would kind of depend on what age they were separated at. If they were separated at about 8-12 weeks of age, I don't think they would have had the memory of being "bonded"... just more like, hey, I know that guy!

Either way, as long as they weren't fighting at all beforehand, I think this will be an easy bond.

Yes, fix Dante, without a doubt. That is the only way to allow him to bond with an unspayed female ;).

It will also make him smell less, and he will not be spraying your house due to the presence of a female rabbit. Will also improve the bond, as he won't be humping her and frustrating her.

Check out the Vet listingshere. Kahlin and I were discussing the merits of certain North Bay vets in that thread :)

thats the weird thing. he doesn't spray, chin or anything... unless you consider peeing on me when we first got him when my boyfriend tried to come around me... lol i've since adopted a thick weatherproof sweater. he doesn't pee on me any more but he has sharp nails, so the sweater helps, but its annoying when its hot out...

the two of them have had play dates, but it was usually only maybe 4 days tops of being apart. its been almost 3 weeks now any i'm not sure how to look at it. i'll prolly put the no-mans land in though just to be sure at night.

that and it'll help since i'll be getting another bun soon. i just got the ok from the boyfriend :pullhair:

Latest posts

Back