Antibotics...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
Daisy and Rascal was spayed and neutered. The doctor had them on pain meds for the first few days. Then they still are on Bactrim and Benebac. The Benebac is given inbetween antibotics.Doc has them on the Bactrim for 15 days, is this normal practice?

Thanks, :)April

Yup. :)

sas :bunnydance:

It isn't normal to give antibiotics after a spay /neuter ; he must be doing it as a precautionary measure which really isn't necessary ; it won't hurt the rabbits but it is not necessary if the incisions look fine .
At our shelter we have had a few occasionswith males when the scrotal sac puffed up and became red; at that time the bun was seen by a vet and sometimes placed on an antibiotic.

Why don't you ask the vet about it ..look at the incisions and if they look OK then ask him if you have to give it; maybe there is some other reason they were prescribed that I am not aware of...

betternot to use antibiotics until they are necessary as a rabbit will build up resistance to drugs like bactrim and baytril after possibly only a couple rounds of it

Thanks! :)

Also, Daisy was suppose to have stitches on the outside. I don't see them. But... She was fine til I looked today. She was spayed on the 24th. Her incision looks like it open in a tiny spot and it formed a scab, and it's a little red. Should I be worried or put anything on it? I know she had stitches inside, glue and stitches outside. Thanks.

Watch the red spot and if it get inflamed looking then you could take her back for a recheck but from what you described seems fine...

probably not any infection by what you describe

Bactrim? Absolutely not. With all the spays and neuters we have had done here....only one was on antibiotics and he had testicular cancer. And I can't believe that vets are still using Sulfanomides in rabbits. There might be a case or two in which that family of drugs should be considered....but that family of drugs is very stressful on the beneficial bacteria in the gut. I haven't used it in years...in fact, tossed a couple of bottle some time ago that had expired. If I remember correctly, they are used sometimes for skin infections (which are usually staph) but usually the risks outweigh the benefits of using this drug unless specifically indicated by the situation. In the case of post-op use without prior or indicated infection....not the best course of action.

Our spays are always laser procedures. Our girls have internal dissolving sutures with the final close done with tissue glue. It is normal to have a small area that is crusty and red. Just something to monitor.

And in case you want to do some research on using Sulfanomides in rabbits....it has been linked to a condition known as Tyzzer's Disease. The Bene-Bac should help....but it doesn't replace any damaged bacteria.....it maintains the pH in the GI to provide a favorable climate for the repopulation of beneficial bacteria. And you may also want to do some research on how bacteria becomes resistant to certain drugs....just for your own information. Even ask your own doctor.....they are very cautious about prescribing antibiotics without specific clinical presentations. That is why penicillin is almost useless in human medicine now.

As far as pain meds.....I still hear of vets not sending pain meds home. Barbaric. They claim they give an injection, which they do in pre-op, but it is Buprenorphine and is good for up to 12 hours. Many vets use Metacam but I don't feel it's sufficient pain management....but better than nothing. A narcotic (specifically Buprenorphine) or a narcotic like drug (Tramadol) are much better options and can be used together with Metacam for a serious one-two pain killer.

Randy

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I was asking cause someone I've spoke too said their Doc gave them nothing after a neuter. I figuredmy doc was being over protective to any infection that could occur.

Do you think I should finish antibotics or quit? Thanks !

I would quit the antibiotics, personally, but that's just me. If either did get an infection, you'd have to go back to the vet and tell them that they got an infection and you stopped the antibiotics. I don't think it would be your fault if they got an infection, since it's so rare to get them after well-done spay/neuters, and I doubt they'd get an infection.

tonyshuman wrote:
I would quit the antibiotics, personally, but that's just me. If either did get an infection, you'd have to go back to the vet and tell them that they got an infection and you stopped the antibiotics. I don't think it would be your fault if they got an infection, since it's so rare to get them after well-done spay/neuters, and I doubt they'd get an infection.
I agree with Claire ...

Oops, I read that as Baytril, although I took the question as being 'antibiotics'.

The above posts do come from positions of knowledge greater than mine, so listen to them.

Pipp was spayed almost five years ago and my memory is foggy, I'm not sure why she was on antibiotics, but she had a two week course. My vet also put her on Baytril a year or two later for a digestive issue. He may be overprotective and/or over prescribing (and/or gouging).

The other rabbits I've had spayed since have all been foster rabbits from rescues and they were not given antibiotics.

However, on the off-chance that your vet had a good reason for prescribing an antibiotic in the first place -- he saw something suspicious, he has had other patients picking up bugs or whatever -- I'd double check.

sas :bunnydance:

I had one foster baby receive antibiotics after a spay. But that was because when they spayed her, they found pyometra (sp?), which was essentially an infected uterus. I believe she received a course of chloropalm, but my memory is shady.

Other than that one incident, none of the bunnies I have spayed/neutered have had antibiotics, just pain killers.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back