Antibiotics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delusional

Reaction score
We took Bunny to the vet last night, because his eyes have been running a lot over the last couple of days. The vet said he couldn't really see anything wrong with the eyes themselves, so it may be a deeper problem. He gave us some Baytril to dose Bunny with twice a day, for five days.

My question is, is there a way to give Bunny the antibiotics without him hating me at the end of the week? The first time I tried, he squirmed away and I managed to squirt it all up his face. Then this morning we finally managed to get it into him, after a fair bit of struggling, but I had to really restrain him to do it and as soon as I let go he ran back home and refused to come out. He even stomped his foot and told me off. =(

Has anyone done this before in a way that wasn't so unpleasent for the rabbit? I have a syringe and I have to give him 1.5ml directly into his mouth each time.

Here's a few tips from past posts:

Stephanie:

So Valuran really hates the liquid Baytril. And I mean HATES it.Putting it on any food didn't work either. Bythat time, he knew the taste/smell of it and would run away. Also, byus doing this to him, even though it's for his own good, has reallyeffect our relationship with the rabbit badly.

Now when he sees us, he runs in the back of the cage. He hides behindfurniture and under the table when we come into the room. Yesterday, hewouldn't come out the cage all day long. :(

Last night we tried giving him his meds and finally said enough isenough. It is just too stressful for him. He was grunting, biting, youcould see the whites of his eyes, he struggled like I've never seen arabbit struggle before.We were actually worried he'd hurthimself,he was fighting that hard to get away.Sothis morning I called the vet to see if they'd give us the pill formand I had to fight to get it! The doctor was trying to talk me out ofit, saying you can't give rabbits pills and that one always has toswaddle and force it down their throat. Maybe I'm a pansy when it comesto my rabbits or something, but I know I wouldn't like someone thatmuch bigger than me doing what we were doing to him. Even if it is forhis own good.

Sorry for the rant. I'm glad I stood firm with the doctor, telling himflat out I have three rabbits and I'm experienced at both giving pills to them and force feeding if I have to (remember Abby?), but that this was too stressful for Valuran and as we were offered the pills in thefirst place, I'd like to have them. So I'm going in at one today to pick them up. Yes, I can be a you know what when I have to be.

Pam Nock:

Giving pills to a rabbit is a snap with a "pill popper". Askthe vet for one and tell him you'll be giving the pills. Onceyou get quick and experience, the entire episode takes place so quicklythat there is no time for bunny get mad and hold a grudge because hewon't even know what just happened LOL You can holdthe rabbit on it's back and pop the pill into the rear side of themouth. It's not necessary swaddle.

Pam

Stephanie:

When we had to give Chompers Baytril in the summer, I just crushed the pill and put it on some banana. He was none the wiser.

Pam Nock:

Good idea hiding the pill in a banana!

The pill popper is a plastic rod plunger that holds a pill on theend. Stick it in bunny's mouth and push the plunger. Allows you to get the pill to the back of the mouthso bunny will swallow it. (In theory) Some rabbitsmay insist on spitting the pill back out.

Pam

Stephanie:

Well, we got the pills and it's been smoothsailing. As I haven't had time to go to the store yet (company from VThere this weekend), what I've been doing is crushing the pills anddipping a craisin in it. As craisins are new to the bunnyfront here atthe Hope residence, Valuran is going nuts over them. So he's gettinghis meds just fine and thinks Mommy is giving him treats.

Gabby:

i always say what ever is easiest to get the pill down them the better.

some will take it no questions asked crushed into banana. Some willeven take it crushed and smeared onto a damp romaine leaf. But by far Ido believe Banana hides the taste the best.

You can also use the pill popper w/o placing them on their back, youare behind the bun and pop the pill in from the side of themouth. We just call it a pill gun at my office. works formany small animals (small meaning your average house holdpet, large being horses, cattle etc), rabbits, dogs, cats.

I just wanted to say thank you soo much!

Last night went so well, I didn't have to chase Bunny around at all, I just went to pet him and picked him up gently and put him on the sofa, then pet him until he laid out, then held him down while my boyfriend gave him the Baytril.

And Bunny didn't run home and sulk afterwards! He just went back to hopping around our feet and begging for the guinea pigs' veg when I fed them first. =)

His eyes seem to have stopped running already, too, which I'm happy about.

Hi, Im new and Im having the same problem with my bunny. She is very sick and we still dont know what is going to happen, but since I have to give her 3 different oral antibiotics twice a day, she has really grown to hate me. She wants nothing to do with me anymore and Im so Sad! Have you found anything that helps?

How odd.. Lottie is on Baytril for eye problems and i've been having the same problem! I think i have discovered the answer though!

Get a quarter of an apple, you can use the end of the syringe to 'dig' little holes in and 'chambers' of Baytril all over the apple. It works really well. Lottie eats it all up immediatley (i think bunnies like apple VERY much) so i can see its all getting down. She licks her lips and looks all happy. I think they like it because its sweet but nice and crunchy.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

I always use a towel to wrap the bunny in a "bunny burrito" then I hold them on my lap while inserting the syringe behind their front teeth.

I also always give a treat after meds which helps them associate meds with good things.

Also, some vets will flavor the baytril for you with something tasty. If not, Ive used some grenadine before to flavor it and the buns love it.

Delusional, what did you end up using to get him to take the Baytril so peacefully? Skyler is getting medication in the form of a pill, I crush it up and mix it with a tiny bit of baby food and he licks it off the spoon or out of the dish. The pill popper device sounds awesome, but I think I'll stick with the baby food since then it's like a treat for him. He's a good boy who deserves treats :)

I 2nd the bunny burrito. Even though it seems like more stressful. It actually takes a few seconds to wrap, another second to squirt the meds and you are done. Don't have to chase the bun and stress them out. It's very easy with two ppl, one wraps and puts the bun on their back, the other one administers the meds. But its also doable by yourself. Just have to place your syringe close by. Wrap the bunny and grab the syringe.

Haley wrote:
I always use a towel to wrap the bunny in a "bunny burrito" then I hold them on my lap while inserting the syringe behind their front teeth.

I also always give a treat after meds which helps them associate meds with good things.

Also, some vets will flavor the baytril for you with something tasty. If not, Ive used some grenadine before to flavor it and the buns love it.

:yeahthat:the bunny burito works a charm. But at the end of the day if you dont want to your bun to get stressed, I would try pinksalamanders way as they view it as a treatwhich would make them :heartbeat:you even more.

when bun bun had sugery for his molar spurs (which also caused GI stasis) we had to give him a bunch of medicine too. I just mixed everything he needed with Critical Care and he didn't even know it was in there. Perhaps you can also make a pellet slurry w/ bannanas & apples and add the baytril in there.

Latest posts

Back