Antibiotics Dosage Consistency

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
Throwing this out here in case anybody knows...

Sherry and Lisa havelip abscesses from a bunny fight. They'vebeen on ChlorPalm 250 (oral, every 12 hours) and penicillin injections (every 48 hours). After 18 days of treatment, both abscesses are nearly gone -- they're just tiny lumps, no longer visible..

I have run out of the ChlorPalmand thanks to a screw up at my vet's office, I may not get any more until tomorrow or even Monday. They've already missed two doses as of this writing. They're due for another at11 PM tonight. They just got their penicillin injectiontoday.

How urgent is it to get the ChlorPalm? Should I try another vet to try and get some today?Or maybetry daily penicillin until I get more ChlorPalm?

sas :?

Pebbles was taking ChlorPalm 125 (is that different from your ChlorPalm 250?) 2X/day, for 2 weeks. She continued to sneeze so wecontinued to use it for a total of3 weeks.Pebbles still sneezed so we determined a culture test should be done andswitched toanother antibiotic.

ChlorPalm should be readily available at any vet, as I was able to get a full 60 ml bottle for Pebbles.

I don't think that this is an emergency. I would not givemore penicillin daily till you get chlorpam but just give the same dose.
If it is easy for you to have your vet call another vet to get it then go ahead but if you can get it Mon and it is a big deal to get it now they should be OK without it. once again this is just my non vet opinion.

Just a second thought ..why are you giving penicillin every other day.? Are you giving procaine? it would say it on the bottle.
I was thinking you were giving bicillin but I don't think you can get it there."

It says it's just 'penicillin', so not sure beyond that.

I keep hearing that you're not supposed to miss doses or stop and re-start antibiotics because of resistance issues, but I don't know any specifics.

The fill-in vet just says to give them thedoses at the end of the run, but there's no end date. The penicillinjust says 'two to three months'. ChlorPalm doesn't say anything.

sas :dunno

You're right !!!that as soon as you stop an antibiotic that bacteria will start to build up a resistance to it . technically you should continue it. my thinking is that because they are getting the penicillin also that bacteria would probably be held in check ..like a double lock on a door

If you can get more chlorplam (sp?) then get it because it will put your mind at ease.

Just an FYI on the Penicillin, Peg is right, if its only Penicillin (PenG Procaine) it needs to be given daily since its only effective for that long. If its Bicillin (Pen G Procaine plus PenG Benzathine) its given every other day. Might be something to check into. Im glad its working though!

Latest posts

Back