Another Penicillin Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
I had Sherry and Lisa get in a fight and both ended up with abscesses on their lips and gums. (Sherry was lip only, Lisa had a hole in her chin and initially had pus coming out of the gum). The vet prescribed "two to three months" worth of penicillin shots administered every two days, and daily oral Chlor Palm. I stopped the Chlor Palm after 18 days (I ran out and the vet couldn't get more in time), and now I'm out of the penicillin after almost six weeks.

There has been no sign of the abscesses in either bunny for several weeks now -- no lumps, bumps, spots or anything else.

I believe the concern is to make sure that abscesses are completely irradiated, but how do you tell? I'm going to end up missing their shots today and won't be able to get more until Monday, if then -- the budget is a problem.

I'd like to just stop it completely, but not sure that I should. On the other hand, I'm still remembering the lip/gum abscess that George's fuzzy lop had, and they just gave her one shot. :?

It's so stressful for Lisa, she's a nervous wreck, I'm sure she'd very much appreciate it if I didn't renew the prescription. :p

Thoughts?

sas :?:p

I can't offer much advice since I have only ever dealt with abscesses temporarily on rabbits that did not belong to me- but I would think that if there is not visual sign, but more importantly you cannot feel anything (and has been that way for weeks, as you said) then I would guess they are gone. Its tough though because I know even vets may say they are gone but it may still be there.

If I were you, I think I would treat it as resolved and discontinue any shots. Don't know if the vet requested re-check or not but that may help so the decision isn't just on your shoulders. Hopefully someone with more experience can help you answer this though!

I agree, theres really no way to tell if theyre gone or not more that just being able to see them (but are you sure you can see properly? lol). When Max was on Bicillin it was for much longer but his problem was very severe and it sounds like yours was a minor flesh wound.

I think 6 weeks is probably long enough if you feel that they are gone. If they appear to be coming back you can always start up again.

You know, I think I'd be on the safe side myself. That's just me and I completely understand about the money tho. *sigh*

Latest posts

Back