Another head tilt post

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
Yet another one of these.

TTilly had two full months of weekly Convenia Injections and she did great, her head came up, she learnt new skills and did fantastically.

She had her last injection two weeks ago today. Her injections always seemed to cover her from day 2 to day 9 (when she would start to tilt again- this was when we were trying to work out how often to give it) so she has extended further than this this time, however I suspect that she is tilting over again.

She has not gone backwards with her physio and is doing well with that. I was wondering if she might just have a sore neck from hard physio yesterday (that sounds awful but I just feed her pear in various places so that she learns to turn her head, lift it up, stand on her back legs, etc) because she hasn't lost anything and seems very well in herself.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts? I'm desperate to get this girlie as right as possible. It may be she is already there, but i couldn't bear her to go backwards from this when she is clearly enjoying life right now.

Thanks in advance.

I didn't know anyone on the forum was using Convenia except Randy and this is a post that he will probably zero in on (You know how to write a header that is a Randy magnet :D)
I am really sorry that Tilly is back sliding...

Yeh, we used it on Tilly from reading it in one of Randy's post and then my vet reserahced it.

In terms of how long we do this for, any ideas? Given she has not gone completely backwards we have got a better footing and less infection now than we had before. Do we do another two months and then try again?

Funily enough, I've just been to see her for the first time today. She looks less tilted than yesterday, so maybe it was just a bad day? I'm going to keep the vets appointment anyway and if she seems ok tomorrow I'll look to cancel it, but until then I'll keep it.

On a side note, Randy, if my vet wanted to get in touch with you about this/head tilt in general, would you be willing to talk to him? I made it very clear to him before that you are not a vet but did explain who you were and what you did and that I trust what you say and suggestions you make.

The UK is sorely lacking on info about EC and head tilt and the more we can get in, the better I think. I was explaining to people (on a UK based forum) your views on EC and head tilt and the things you have said and got torn apart for it because most of what you say is not common knowledge over here and is not what our vets generally go by and, like you often say, we get a lot of misdiagnosed cases of EC, we must do.

I have no problem talking with your vet. And I know how they get what is considered correct information ground into their heads.Things change...new things are learned. One of myvolunteers, and she is a vet assistant, came up with something that works. When humans started doing surgery, they just cut, then they used whiskey, then etherand we have evolved into the anesthesias we have today...and the info on EC and head tilt continue to evolve just like the anesthesia and everything else in the world. I am currently rewriting the rehab manual for a large small mammal group in Raleigh, NC. They have stuff like feeding fruit and honey and to give baby rabbits SMZ since their digestive system has no bacteria when they are born, which is correct.....but their feeling is the drug will keep it with no bacteria....which we all know is not what we need. So I understand the "brick walls" you run into. Fortunately I have convinced enough high end exotic focus vets that their support give me credibility. Some of these people have been rehabbing for years and it's going to be a challenge to get thru to some of these people. I am surprised they could get any to live.

And a lot of times inexperienced vets will diagnose a "convenient" ailment that can be explained if things go bad. I don't like that but it happens. And in the defense of the vets....there are very few schools that spend much time on rabbits. The vet school near me is building a huge addition and it will have exotics and wildlife focus programs....something sorely needed. I have many times used my "real world, real issues" rabbits to train vet students doing clinicals. They just soak up information so the interest is there.

Randy

Thanks Randy :)

My vet is great, I'm really lucky, but the more the UK can learn, hopefully the more can be passed around (especially because in my area there is some SHOCKING knowledge).

There is a vet on another forum who said she wants to get some money together to do some extensive research into EC and stuff, so things are coming on that's for sure, and I'm also inclined to think that those with the most knowledge (i.e. vets and people similar) are aware that there is always much to learn, but those with lesser knowledge tend to think they are right, end of, if that makes sense, because they have knowledge, but not understanding. Of course that's not accurate in all cases but seems to be generally true.

And there is one other observation I have made as far as vets (and people doctors too)....female doctors generallytend to be more attentive and open to discussions "outside the box" than male doctors. My primary doctor (personally) isn't a "real" doctor (as I am reminded everytime I call her office). She is a licensed practitioner...a step or so below a doctor. But to me, she is better than the "real" doctors because she listens. And she takes into account that I work with very sick animals so if I have an infection, it might not be the routine stuff they normally see....and that has happened. And the younger doctors, both male and female, are much more open to new ideas and chanllenges that don't happen "by the book". I knowsomevets that are absolutely positive that everything that goes wrong in a rabbit is "snuffles" and Baytril will fix all the world's problems. These new doctors know differently. I am excited about the future of veterinary medicine especially in the exotics, avian and wildlife focus. So things will get better...eventually.

Randy

I've had the trio out tonight and have been watching Tilly closely and she doesn't seem to be tilting more than normal. So either I was looking for it and seeing it, or else it's happened and I'm denying it.

She has kept her skills, and I've actually seen a new one today, which is lifting her nose and head in the air and smelling.

So I'm going to pause. I can get a vets appointment on any given day that I need it because my vets are very flexible and excellent, so I can afford to pause. To be honest, Tilly is acting better right now than she did on the Convenia, so right now, I'm pausing.

Latest posts

Back