Andrew Hoell: Watching over neglected animals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
Andrew Hoell: Watching over neglected animals

By Laurel J. Sweet| Tuesday, December 25, 2007|http://www.bostonherald.com|Local Coverage
a07c6bd2d2_bunny_12252007.jpg

Photo by Lisa Hornak

Don’t believe everything you’ve heard about rabbits, Animal Rescue League volunteer Andrew Hoell will tell you before wryly conceding, “Some of it’s true.”

From 2 to 4 p.m. today, when so many others will be ready to settle down for a long winter’s nap, Hoell, 24, of Lincoln will be devoting part of his Christmas Day to caring for unwanted and neglected pets with no homes for the holidays at ARL’s Dedham Adoption Center.

“It’s a small amount of time that I can give,” said Hoell, a graduate student at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell pursuing a doctorate in marine sciences.

ARL volunteers clean kennels, serve as canine companions and feline friends and may even advance to a behavior assistant.

Hoell is a relative newcomer as a prince of the animal kingdom. Over the summer, his girlfriend Jackie Biederman adopted a bunny, Petra, from the Woburn-based House Rabbit Network. For Hoell, it was like dangling the proverbial carrot. And since then, he and Biederman have opened their home to three more rabbits, including a brother and sister.

“I fell in love with rabbits,” Hoell confessed. “People oftentimes don’t understand the nature of rabbits and how nice they are.

“I didn’t have an animal growing up,” said Hoell, who credits his angel, Biederman, with launching his volunteer career. “I really feel terrible for so many animals that are neglected and bought as impulses, then thrown away like pieces of paper.”

Even when it’s raining cats and dogs, a couple of days a week Hoell also helps out at ARL’s outreach adoption program at Petco in Dedham, playing with and cleaning up after small animals like guinea pigs and gerbils.

With two degrees in meteorology under his belt, it’s a sure bet Hoell’s love for our furry friends will help him “weather” working a holiday.

“I don’t see myself ever getting out of it. They just bring so much joy to my life,” he said of his volunteer work. “I wish I had gotten into it a lot earlier. A lot of people don’t realize it’s so rewarding.”
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1062617

What a terrific story!!!!

I like that guy! He's awesome!

plus those bunnies are precious he is giving treats to!!!

Latest posts

Back