Agressive behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhoosh

Reaction score
I never really considered Rilee to be agressive, because of course she's sweet to me! But she would always attack my friend M whenever M would visit. But I thought maybe it was just because M has a bunny too and Rilee could smell him. But M's bunny is not here, and she hasn't been with him for a month, and M came into my new room here, and after a minute Rilee started to attack her! She'd grunt and lunge at her and M would get scared.

When my mom took care of Rilee for a few weeks, she would sometimes try to bite her too to the point where my mom didn't like entering the pen. I thought, maybe Rilee is being territorial?

I thought, maybe she just doesn't like other people! But then my other roommate J came in while Rilee was out, and she tried to eat and dig his pants, like she normally does. But she never tried to lunge or attack! I think she tried to taste him... but nothing agressive.

So is J the exception, or M? How can I change her behavior?? I feel bad that my friends and family are scared of her, when she is so nice to me...

Phinn does the exact same thing to my brother. He is ssoo sweet to me, then will litteraly turn around, lunge and break my brothers skin.

Ive asked before and no ones really been able to give me a definate anwser, so I cant really help there, sorry.

It kinda stinks because now my brother has a bad perspective on rabbits.

Rilee is spayed right?

It could be the other bunny, does M still have the bunny and the scent could be on M's clothes? If not, it can be other animal's scents as well. Like a non-trust issue.

Rilee may feel a trust over one person opposed to another. But, if there are other animals involved that Rilee can smell, that can definitely pose a threat. Hence, the lunging, etc.

Yes, Rilee was spayed almost a year ago, so definitely no hormornes left. But it does suck, at least I'm not the only one...? :(

M is my new roommate, we've lived here for a month, although she's been over last year etc. because we've been friends for a long time. She still has her bunny. But! Like I had to leave Rilee for a month because pets aren't allowed here, she left hers too, and she hasn't gone to get him yet. I don't think the bunny's scent could still be on her clothes a month later, after laundry, and when she was home with him, she honestly probably didn't spend too much time with him as he lives in a pen in their living room.

I'd bet money that she has the smell of her rabbit on her clothes and shoes, somehow or other. I understand why you think that's not possible, but... we humans have just about zero smelling ability compared to rabbits. (I sometimes wonder if they think we're a bit slow or clueless for this reason!)

To give you an example, last fall I tried some new moisturizer for my feet. As soon as I walked into the living room (where Nibbles lives), she raced over to me and started biting my feet - hard! - and trying to shove her head inside my shoes. (And wouldn't stop!) I don't know whether she perceived a "food" scent, or if the scent she was picking up made her feel threatened/angry, but I can tell you this - I quit using that moisturizer and she has never done that again.

She has also reacted badly to the smell of certain dogs (younger, male and fairly aggressive) on me, while the scent of others dogs (generally older, gentler animals) doesn't bother her at all.

My guess is that whatever makes your bun go for your friend is incredibly obvious to her! And you might never figure out the exact reason.

Am not sure if this post will be helpful for your immediate situation, but am hoping it will give you a little perspective...

Edited to add: I bet your friend's shoes have been chinned by her bunny; maybe her clothes, too.

I'm sure it's possible for rabbits to just not like some people even if they don't smell like other rabbits. It would seem to me that if there are rabbits humans can't get along with why not humans that rabbits can't get along with? It's possible it's just a personality clash - which would make sense with Silvie's brother too. Unless your friend/Silvie's brother did something to the rabbits at one point that was mean, like scared them (even on accident), but I wouldn't want to accuse anyone of something like that. *shrug* one of the many mysteries of the bunnies.

I'm starting to think it's the way my friend moves around Rilee. And where she sits.... If she sits on the bed, Rilee's pretty much garunteed to grunt and attack. But if she sits on the floor, Rilee tries to dig at her clothes, which doesn't bother her until Rilee gets to her shirt, where it tickles. And when my friend tries to shoo her off, that's when Rilee will attack her arm when it comes from above her, but there isn't really anything the girl can't do but that...and nowhere she can sit! It's all just very annoying :grumpy:

maybe he just feels like she is invading his territory. You could try blocking off a chair from riley so that he can't get to it to claim it. Maybe eventually he'll get the idea that it's her chair and not his?

It sounds like Rilee is defending your territory for you by scaring your friend off your bed.
When your friend is waving her arms about on the floor - Rilee, like any bunny would, thinks she is under attack and lunges. That's the mentality of bunnies - attack first, think after.

A big thing that strikes me is that your friend is probably anxious around Rilee now, and Rilee senses that but interprets it as danger, if you know what I mean.

Your friend needs to spend some time on the floor with Rilee, perhaps with some of her favorite treats, and gain her trust. She needs to try and chill out before doing this, so Rilee doesn't pick up her nervy vibes, and just be patient.

I'm sure with time and a good attitude - your friends can all become friends with your bunny! :)

Back