Advice for the love "worn"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leader of the Pack

Reaction score
I know you guys don't know me and my family very well yet; but I hope you'll bear with me and trust me when I say that I am very conscientious where our pets are concerned...just better versed in the ways of cats and dogs....or so it seems.:?

I "really" could use some advice and counsel on how best to handle a situation that just developed with Miss Sidney last night. It was quite interesting around here to say the least. I probably should give you the specifics about her first.

She came to live with us on March 13th. At the time I was told she was about 8 weeks old. I acclimated her to her little home/hutch with full intention of allowing her free roam of the house. All my cords are "bunny proofed", and it's only been in the last few weeks that she has gotten large enough that she has started jumping up on furniture, and even found her way into the cats window seat, where she seems to like to lay with the cats and look out the window. The only behavior that I am hard pressed to stop her from doing.....which some of you guys may find objectionable (and I won't mind if you tell me so...I'll learn as we go along and find a way to stop her) is using the cat litter pans. I scoop litter pans around here 3 times a day, and since Miss Sidney finds "The Cat Room" much to her likeing, I hope I'm not putting her health in harms way by allowing her to do this. But I digress.

Last night, during Sidney's typical active period she was running and playing with the cats and her "playful" time suddenly turned into a game of "hump the cat".
s7.gif
The cats handled it very well. The larger cats just threw a paw over her back and rolled her off. But a smaller rescue kitty that we have, whose growth was stunted, didn't fair so well. Sidney got on top of him and covered him up and when I eased in to take Sidney away she had hold of M&M's scruff. It didn't hurt him, I checked for marks and he was fine. Just a little shocked I imagine because up to now the two have not had an interaction that way.

All our furry-family is either spayed or neutered. Which just leaves Sidney.She seemed to be so excited that I finally gave her a time out for the rest of the night in her hutch. I hated too, and I know she wasn't very happy with me about that. But I figured it was best to give her and the cats a break at least until I could gather my thoughts this morning. This morning I allowed her out and about again and so far today she has been a little lady again. Oh, and I did double check to make sure we had a "female"....
s5.gif
. We've never had a female rabbit exhibit the type of behavior that she did....with the cats. I really wondered if my eyes had decieved me and "Sidney" was a boy. But no, she's all girl.

I had mentioned in my introduction blog that we live in an area where there are basically no exotic pet vets around at all. There was one about 20 minutes away from us 3 years ago but he has since retired. I called that vet clinic this morning to see if they were doing rabbit spays/neuters and they are not. They told me they have had one rabbit surgery at their clinic in a year, and it was a male. The receptionist gave me the phone numbers for two vets in Memphis, TN that are exotic pet vets. The problem is that Memphis is over an hours drive from where we live, and I am an Epileptic (controlled) which means that I'm personally not allowed to drive long distances.

What I'd like to know...and I hope I haven't all ready worn you out....while I know that Sidney would probably benefit in the long run if she were fixed; considering the problems associated with being able to get her fixed...is there a chance that....

A) Her behavior with the cats could be something more in line with an act of dominance similar to what cats and dogs will often do toward one another even after they have been fixed? As our vet used to tell our clients, animals that have been altered loose their ability to create babies, but they don't loose their drive. Also, with dogs this display can often be an attempt to show dominance.

B) With your experience, do female rabbits go into heat and if they are not mated, exhibit this behavior...so that it may be something that we could learn to work with when she goes into heat.

C) We don't plan to have any other rabbits other than her. Would this do anything to slow down her cycles. I know that sometimes with cats we've rescued, that not having a tom around, or other health issuescan affect or delaytheir heat cycles.

s2.gif
I really don't mean to come off sounding like a totally irresponsible and stupid bunny mom. But we had such a horrible experience when we had Biscuit altered, and then having him die like he did....when I got Sidney I specifically made sure we had a female expecting that she would be ok if we were unable or chose notto have her altered.

Was I totally wrong about that? Your opinions and advice and counsel would be greatly appreciated. I am such a hard nose when it comes to having cats and dogs altered that I really am ashamed and fear some of the responses I might get. If we really need to get her fixed I will see what we can do.

Thank you ahead of time. Terri

I've been thinking about your thread ever since I saw it and trying to figure out what to put on it.

First of all - a hearty welcome to thef orum. I've seen your posts a bit but not had much time to write since I just got back from vacation and am still feeling wiped out. I'm a bit nervous that my post won't make much sense 'cause I still feel so scatterbrained right now.

Does will mount other does, bucks, babies and even other animals in order to show dominance. It is sort of a "coming of age" thing that happens as they hit the teenage years and depending upon the doe - it will continue on into adulthood most of the time. (I've had a few sweeties that weren't like that).

I had one doe that would go up to the dog and NIP her to make her leave the room...because she felt that our whole bedroom was hers. Mind you - this is a 45 pound dog being bullied and chased out of the room by a 3 pound holland lop rabbit. It was sort of funny to watch.

The big thing about neutering does - whether you have another rabbit or not - is not only the fact that it will help to modify their behavior (she may start spraying to mark her turf) but that a HUGE HUGE HUGE percentage of does get uterine cancer and I'm guessing that it is the #1 cause of death among does....at least unneutered ones. I'm not trying to scare you - and if you were to find some blood on her privates - you could get her neutered at an older age and hopefully it would be soon enough to stop any problems. But the fact is....uterine cancer is a serious problem for unneutered does and you really will want to get her neutered for that reason.

Also - does don't have a "heat cycle" like dogs or cats. Its hard to explain - I used to be a breeder and I still don't fully understand it well enough to explain it to you. Let's just say that something like 15 days out of 18 they're ready to mate and some of those 15 days they're REALLY ready to mate and going to chin stuff and mount other animals, etc.

I would write more but I need to finish feeding the bunnies before Art & I head out for the movies....I hope this is a good start though and that others will add to it.

I don't know if you've seen our vet listings by state section of the forum - I will try to post a link to it in a bit...maybe you can find a good vet that way?

Something to consider is - could you find someone else to take you to the vet and spend the day in town to get your doe neutered...if you paid for the gas or something? Maybe a stay at home wife/mother who would love an excuse to get out of town for the day?

Just something to consider.....

TinysMom wrote:
I've been thinking about your thread ever since I saw it and trying to figure out what to put on it.

First of all - a hearty welcome to thef orum. I've seen your posts a bit but not had much time to write since I just got back from vacation and am still feeling wiped out. I'm a bit nervous that my post won't make much sense 'cause I still feel so scatterbrained right now.

Does will mount other does, bucks, babies and even other animals in order to show dominance. It is sort of a "coming of age" thing that happens as they hit the teenage years and depending upon the doe - it will continue on into adulthood most of the time. (I've had a few sweeties that weren't like that).

I had one doe that would go up to the dog and NIP her to make her leave the room...because she felt that our whole bedroom was hers. Mind you - this is a 45 pound dog being bullied and chased out of the room by a 3 pound holland lop rabbit. It was sort of funny to watch.

The big thing about neutering does - whether you have another rabbit or not - is not only the fact that it will help to modify their behavior (she may start spraying to mark her turf) but that a HUGE HUGE HUGE percentage of does get uterine cancer and I'm guessing that it is the #1 cause of death among does....at least unneutered ones. I'm not trying to scare you - and if you were to find some blood on her privates - you could get her neutered at an older age and hopefully it would be soon enough to stop any problems. But the fact is....uterine cancer is a serious problem for unneutered does and you really will want to get her neutered for that reason.

Also - does don't have a "heat cycle" like dogs or cats. Its hard to explain - I used to be a breeder and I still don't fully understand it well enough to explain it to you. Let's just say that something like 15 days out of 18 they're ready to mate and some of those 15 days they're REALLY ready to mate and going to chin stuff and mount other animals, etc.

I would write more but I need to finish feeding the bunnies before Art & I head out for the movies....I hope this is a good start though and that others will add to it.

I don't know if you've seen our vet listings by state section of the forum - I will try to post a link to it in a bit...maybe you can find a good vet that way?

Something to consider is - could you find someone else to take you to the vet and spend the day in town to get your doe neutered...if you paid for the gas or something? Maybe a stay at home wife/mother who would love an excuse to get out of town for the day?

Just something to consider.....
a1.gif
Thank you so much for your response. Yes, it made very good sense and I very much appreciate you taking the time to compose an answer. I was especially interested in your explanation of the "heat cycle" (as I called it) and the story of your rabbit and your dog. Sidney ran beside our German Shepherd this morning and it looked more like she nuzzled his back leg, rather than nip him.But at least I know that her behavior is normal. She is growing up, and obviously these things are to be expected.

As for getting her fixed. I totally agree with you. Ifeared that uterine cancer was a threat. If I had a vet that I knew and trusted, even if it was in Memphis...I wouldn't hesitate. The Oxford AnimalClinic gave me two referrals so I'll give them a call and see what they cando, and what they charge, etc. It would make things a lot less troubling to me though if I at least knew someone that had used one of these vets.

If I may ask another question....in regard to her "throwing her attitude around"...
a8.gif
Do you think I should be a little more strict with a routine for her? With me home all the time she is allowed out of her hutch all the time unless we leave to go some place. I don't close her up at night because that seems to be the time when she enjoys being active....and I tend to be a bit of an insomniac. Do you think I'm giving her a bit too much freedom? I have gotten her into a routine for her bunny salads, snacks etc.And if I'm not on time when she's expecting those then she comes looking for me.

Thank you so much again for your help so far. I really do appreciate the information. I will find the vet information you mentioned and see if there is anything closer than Memphis.

Have a great night....Terri

Here is that thread that Tinysmom (Peg) was referring to, there's only one vet in it:?. Maybe this will help? Hopefully, it's not too far.

MS Rabbit Vets

Oh, I found this for you too, so that when you do find one, you can ask questions to make sure they are rabbit savvy:D.

Questions to ask a vet

As far as giving Sidney that much freedom, no, it doesn't seem like you should limit her. As long as the cats put up with her;).

I don't think that you are doing anything wrong, having her free roam all the time won't make her have more attitude or throw her attitude around, LOL. It sounds liek you are doing a fabulous job as a bunny owner, and I sincerly wish there were a lot more like you. I have a small bunny rescue, andI have many horror stories I could tell, and none of them involve bunnies that were traumatized by having to much free time in the house. :D

The attitude you are seeing is from hormones, because of her not being spayed. I'm not trying to guilt you over that or anything, I know that it can be tricky to find a good rabbit vet, especially if you can't drive yourself very far. From what I have seen in my own rabbits, does tend to have far more aggression issues than bucks when not spayed/neutered.

I am going to make an attempt to explain how a doe "works" as far as reproduction, but don't quote me on it as I may not be able to make it very clear! LOL Does do not have a heat cycle like cats and dogs do, they are what is called (I think!) induced ovulators. Basically, thier hormones keep them ready to breed most of the time, but they do not actually ovulate until exposed to a buck. A rabbit's body is made to reproduce, a doe is capable of having a litter every four weeks. One of her most receptive times is about 72 hours after giving birth, which is why a doe gets so cranky if she is not either spayed or regularly bred.

Sorry this got so long, I think I may have gotten carried away! :biggrin2:

Gentle Giants did a great job explaining what I was trying to say about a doe's cycle. The thing is - if a doe is mounted (even by another doe) - I believe it triggers her body to ovulate and she can think she is getting pregnant. From what I understand - the act of being mounted is the trigger that stimulates the ovulation process.

Have I confused you yet??

AngelnSnuffy and gentle giant......thank you guys for responding and finding that information for me..
a2-1.gif

AngelnSnuffy.....I actually live in Batesville, Ms.; Brandon, Ms is south of us down around Jackson which is closer to the most central part of the state. It's actually farther to Jackson, Ms from here then it would be to drive to Memphis. So since you were so kind to supply that link I went back and browsed for vets in Tennessee and found that you have a member here, "Snuggys mom", who seems to actually live in Memphis and recommended

Ralph Pope, DVM
Pope Animal Clinic
6920 Winchester Road
Memphis, TN 38115
901-365-1979
http://www.popevet.com

I checked out their website and it seems pretty impressive. I may just give them a call Monday. Tomorrow is "vet day" for3 of our dogs, and one of the cats. I would be much happiertaking Sidneyout of town to a vet that someone here has done business with and is very happy with.

Gentle Giant...I truly appreciate your words of wisdom. I'll let you know what I find out when I talk to this clinic in Memphis. In the mean time, your explanation of their reproductive cycle was very good. I am on the road to understanding now.....and I look forward to getting to know all of you better.

Thank you so much! Terri

scream.gif
Tinysmom.....no mam! You haven't confused me. You've been a big help as well.Although all this good info does tend to make one hungry I have found.....may be time for a Cheese Danish break.
a8.gif

:blushan:Well, I do my best.

A cheese danish would go wonderfully with my :caffeinewould you care to share? :biggrin2:

gentle giants wrote:
:blushan:Well, I do my best.

A cheese danish would go wonderfully with my :caffeinewould you care to share? :biggrin2:
a2-1.gif
Why certainly I'd like to share with you Gentle Giant....as a matter of fact......since you live in Illinois we could alsowash them down with some Squirt....
a4-1.gif
.... We can't get it down here where I live now, and that is a soda I so love and grew up on when we lived in Michigan.

If SnuggysMom uses them they are good. She is one of the best bunny moms I know. :biggrin2:

Leader of the Pack wrote:
AngelnSnuffy and gentle giant......thank you guys for responding and finding that information for me..
a2-1.gif

AngelnSnuffy.....I actually live in Batesville, Ms.; Brandon, Ms is south of us down around Jackson which is closer to the most central part of the state. It's actually farther to Jackson, Ms from here then it would be to drive to Memphis. So since you were so kind to supply that link I went back and browsed for vets in Tennessee and found that you have a member here, "Snuggys mom", who seems to actually live in Memphis and recommended

Ralph Pope, DVM
Pope Animal Clinic
6920 Winchester Road
Memphis, TN 38115
901-365-1979
http://www.popevet.com

I checked out their website and it seems pretty impressive. I may just give them a call Monday. Tomorrow is "vet day" for3 of our dogs, and one of the cats. I would be much happiertaking Sidneyout of town to a vet that someone here has done business with and is very happy with.

Gentle Giant...I truly appreciate your words of wisdom. I'll let you know what I find out when I talk to this clinic in Memphis. In the mean time, your explanation of their reproductive cycle was very good. I am on the road to understanding now.....and I look forward to getting to know all of you better.

Thank you so much! Terri

scream.gif
Tinysmom.....no mam! You haven't confused me. You've been a big help as well.Although all this good info does tend to make one hungry I have found.....may be time for a Cheese Danish break.
a8.gif

Latest posts

Back