Advertising/Marketing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DyemondRabbitry

Reaction score
Alright, I thought this was the most appropriate place to put this. I am developing a business plan for "Dyemond Enterprises" which will in a sense own Dyemond Mills and Dyemond Rabbitry. At this point I need to put together some marketing information and was hoping I could get some help on what works/doesn't work for everybody. So if you could help I'd appreciate it.

First, I'm looking for rabbitries small to medium (around 20 holes or more). If possible, could I get some income/expense sheets? Don't have to have your rabbitry name on them if you don't want, just have the # of rabbits, state you're in and your I/E break-downs.

Also, as far as marketing- what works for everybody? Where all do advertise and what type of a return do you see?

All help is greatly appreciated!

I don't consider my rabbitry a "business". I tried to do it once and wanted to file a claim as a business but it got WAY to much for me to handle... Having to remember to write down EVERY expense was TOO much of an eye opener...LOL!

The best person to talk to I think would be Pam Nock... I think she claims her rabbits as a business.

Sharon

Yeah, it didn't work for me either. Haven't shown a profit in over 11 years... the IRS frowns on business endeavours that don't turn a profit... They call it ahobby.

The only income was from selling the rabbits themselves... balanced aginst feed costs, vet bills,show entry fees and costs, cage and cleaning supplies... well, it just didn't balance out. (And we won't even discuss the hours I spend working out there!)

Maybe if I had another source of income related to the rabbits, it would be different.

The sad thing is, if I hadn't spent almost 3,000 in cages this year we WOULD be showing a good profit.. lol! I do have my *undiscussable* market each month, plus the show stock sales... I'm more or less looking at having Dyemond Enterprise... which owns Dyemond Mills and Dyemond Rabbitry. The mill has no overhead and a very large profit margin, so the Rabbitry may be more of a reduction than an addition.. make sense??

Actually, that is a good idea. Gives Dyemond Enterprise a bit of a write-off... Unfortunately, that's all I have is the "write-off" part... no profits! LOL!

Most breeders fall under "hobby". Because my job is rabbit judging, it clearly distinguishes my rabbitry as a business endeavor. It's true that the record keeping can be a nightmare. We have an accountant sort through everything due to the complexities of ourrental income and my husband working out of state as well as havingthe rabbitry business. I also have write-offs for homeschooling.

Pam

Advertising: for us, practically none. Our website, an ad in the Flemish newsletter and an upcoming ad in the ARBA Book. We get many more inquiries than we have wabbits. It helps that if you search Google for "Flemish Giants Maryland," we're the #1 hit.

And no, we expect to never show a profit. That's not why we're in it.

Pam, I'm working to become a registrar.. would like to be a judge but far from doing it regularly. I went to school for accounting so, to me, everything has the posibility to be a business. We will have an accountant working with us as I don't want to end up owing at the end of the year. I really don't mean I'm in it to make money- it's too enjoyable. But I do want it to be economical.

It further helps to have an accountant that is an expert in farm taxes and write offs ;)

Pam

Latest posts

Back