Adverse consequences from anesthetics during surgery...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What was the outcome for your rabbits when spayed/neutered? Has anyone seen adverse effects from ane

• Died during surgery.

• Died shortly after surgery.

• Developed respiratory problems.

• My rabbit was completely fine!

• Other (please explain)...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Speri

Reaction score
I have heard about the great chance of cancerous disease in unaltered rabbits, and I am willing to get my bun spayed. I was always very wary about this, even to the point where I thought it would be alright if I didn't have it done...

Now, I am hinting more and more toward the option of actually spaying. Any comments as well as votes are very welcome, I'd love to hear more stories like MsBinky's (about her sick bun doing just fine under the anesthesia). It adds comforting thoughts to my soul, because deep down, I now know it should be done.

[Note: I realize that there is always the chance of something going wrong, I am just looking for a generalized outcome].

Most rabbits are absolutely fine with anesthesia and surgery. There is always a chance of something happening, but that is a risk that everyone has to take.

Personally, I'd say go for it. I know that it's a bit nerve-racking, and maybe I'll a bit desensitized because I see so many animals get fixed on a weekly basis, but it's very much so worth it.

I'd definitely reccomend going for it. Especially given the risk of cancer, my view is that a spay is truly worth it. Both of my rabbits were fixed on the same day and both did fine. Finding a rabbit-savvy vet and asking about their success rate with rabbit spays and neuters might put your mind at ease.

I've had 3 rabbits spayed, and haven't had any problems with any of them re the anesthetic. Obviously there is always a risk with any anesthetic procdure, the same as there is with humans and any other animal, but the reality of it is quite rare as far as I know...

I'd say to find a REALLY good rabbit-savvy vet that you really trust, and maybe make an appointment for a consulation so you can discuss all aspects of the surgery, and feel a bit more reassured with it. :)

I've only gone through a neuter which isn't as 'big a deal' as spays. Wash went in a came out looking tired and icky (because of the anesthetic) and after that he was completly fine! The woman who I got my girl bunny from had her spayed before I adopted her and she still has an incision site that I need to check, but that's easy.

My suggestion would be to talk to a local rabbit rescue and ask what vet they like to use for spays/neuterings they'll have had lots of experience with the vet they use and know how 'rabbit savy' they are :)

We've had lots of bunnies neutered & spayed, and *knock on wood* we have never had any real troubles. When I say lots - I mean lots, like dozens lol. :)a few girls have taken a little longer to recover, but nothing major or life threatening. The main thing for a spay is to get a good rabbit savvy Vet to do it - a lot of Vets here will only neuter and that is because they are uncomfortable spaying a bun since they are really unfamiliar with them. Neuters are easier (but don't tell that to the bun!) but regardless you want a Vet that has worked with buns before.

We have been thru hundreds of sedations for all types of surgery. As you already know, there is always risk but in the hands of a rabbit savvy vet, things are usually routine.

There are several anesthesias being used....and a lot of inaccurate info out there. You will see many sites that proclaim that Isoflourane is the only safe sedation for rabbits. It is certainly safe and widely used. I personally like a newer gas called Sevoflourane that more vets are using. It costs a few dollars more most of the time....but the rebound time from the sedation is much quicker. And for more complex procedures such as dental surgeries....injectable anesthesia is the only way to go. And just think...only a couple of years ago injectable anesthesias were considered "unsafe". Really good stuff.

To give you an idea of how safe I consider this now (and still remembering there is risk in any medical procedure)....we have sedated cottontails under 50g successfully.

Randy

I've had 3 spays done, 2 males adopted that were previously neutered, emergency surgery for a wound, and molar spurs done on a weak bun with malnutrition. They all came through just fine. Although with the dental bunny the vet did have us wait a few days before doing the surgery because the bun was sliding into GI stasis as it was and more stress might not have been good.

The shelter I volunteer at spays/neuters all rabbits before they were adopted. I'm very upset with them because they recently switched from dissolving stitches to metal staples. Ugh! But other than that, their not particularly rabbit savvy vet does ok. A friend of mine used to be the vet tech there and he said that the only problem they've had from a rabbit spay/neuter in the last few years was when one had a bad reaction to the ketamine injection. It must have caused a painful reaction at the injection site, because when the staff checked him the next morning he had ripped the skin of the injection site open. He recovered in foster care.

I highly recommend spaying and neutering rabbits, especially females because of the chances of uterine cancer. My foster bunny with the dental issues is going back in next week for more dental work, and the vet is going to do a small incision to check and make sure her previous owners really did spay her. This vet has seen uterine cancer in rabbits and doesn't want that for my foster bun. I agree with her.

Just a note: Ketamine reactions (the kind you described, namely, a reaction at the injection site) are also pretty uncommon.

*Giggles*

I see you took me literally :pLol. Actually I think it's a great thread to have because so many of us had/have those same feelings. Just to add, Wiggles was 4 years old at the time and she had been very badly neglected as a baby so she did already have a bit of a weaker system where she'd get down at times.

One thing that I definitely want to point out, because I learned the hard way, INSIST on having that bunny come home with pain meds. I don't care... You should have them on you at the very least in case, but females should be given some in any case. Mine didn't have any and I thought I'd lose her just because she refused to eat and suffered a lot for something that could have easily been prevented. No, my vet was not rabbit-savvy and even though I insisted, he refused. He is a good man, but doesn't understand rabbits yet. Doesn't make them a bad person, just a bad doctor. :p

I also have Bam-Bam who was neutered and he came home acting like nothing ever happened though he was tipsy. LOL.

Yup. I just wanted to point out how rare problems were in a shelter that speuters dozens of rabbits of every age every year.:)

Ivory wrote:
Just a note: Ketamine reactions (the kind you described, namely, a reaction at the injection site) are also pretty uncommon.

MsBinky wrote:
*Giggles*

I see you took me literally :pLol. Actually I think it's a great thread to have because so many of us had/have those same feelings.

lol Yeah, I thought it would make for a good discussion as well as calm my jangled nerves. ;)

Wow, 14 people so far said everything is fine and turned out alright. I am going to get it done (I really have done some thinking, and decided with the help of all of these supportive reassurances). As far as finding a rabbit savvy vet, that isn't a problem. My mom works at a vet's officeas a receptionist (and occasionally helping in the back with the techs and doctors). I talked to her yesterday and she told me she will schedule an appointment with one of the best doctors she believes that can possibly deal with small animals (this made me extremely happy thatmy mom was interested in what I explained to her why bunnies need to be altered). Everything seems to be going smoothly, plus, I feel loads better about spaying and neutering now that I've talked to everyone on here [hearing all the opinions], talking to my mom, my friend, and hearing things about the vet I'm going to have do it. The only downfall is I have to pay for it. Oh well though, I guess I better get to training more dogs.

I am expecting to get it done in the next 2 - 3 weeks. I will be posting about it here, so don't you worry. :p

Latest posts

Back