Abnormal Poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saudade

Reaction score
I've noticed that lucy has abnormal poops when she's out in her run in the day, but when she's in her cage they are regular shaped. They never stick to her or anything but they are extremely sticky. She doesn't look like she's in any pain when she passes them or anything.

Her poops inside are almost identical to her cecals except that they are darker. She regularly poops inside and I've had no problem so far. Only seen these once or twice while she's been in her cage.

The only thing that I know she's been introduced to over the past couple of weeks is a piece of papaya which had 62% sugar in it and sulfur. It was a one off treat that she'll never get again. But this has been going on since she started being in the run at day time. I never noticed it when she was out on the front verandah.

She gets 1/3 of a cup of pellets a night, unlimited hay, unlimited grass while she's out in the run not that i've ever seen her eating any of it. A big handful of clover once a week, and a carrot sometimes. I know she should be getting more greens but with my family the way it is I can't provide it for her. Not to mention the usual patch I get all of her clover from is getting very low because it's winter and i'm taking so much at a time.

Should I be concerned about this? I can't take her in to the vet as I don't have enough cash and my mother refuses to pay a dime for her to go to the vet.

IMGP0462.jpg

IMGP0463.jpg

IMGP0464.jpg

P.s. that white thing is one of my dogs hairs it's just sitting right next to her poop. And the urine was because she decided to mark the ENTIRE back porch as hers.

Hi,

I agree with the removing of the papaya...that is a lot of sugar. And where did the sulfur come from? In reality, they don't need so many greens. Veggies are fruits are a rare treat in my large warren of rabbits. And that might be a bit too many pellets. I feed my very large Flemish Giants no more than that. Many of my average size rabbits get less than 1/8 cup pellets per day....along with unlimited amounts of hay. Pellets contain far too much protein that a rabbit needs....especially a pet rabbit. Most pet rabbits are overweight due to excessive feeding.....look at wild rabbits. They eat as nature intended. The inner workings of a wild rabbit and a domestic are almost identical (primary difference is weaning time).

In your case, I would cut out all treats including veggies for a while. Cut back on the amount of pellets. Continue to offer unlimited amounts of high quality grass hays.....in a variety of types and cuts. This not only helps the gut stay in shape, it also is the primary way to keep the teeth at proper lengths. Since your rabbit has been eating outside plants, it might bea good idea to see a vet and run a deworming protocol. Low protein, high fiber....proper diet will result in a happy digestive system.

Randy

more fibre [hay] less sweets and greens,see no major with dropings,once a year I carry a stool sample to my vet. to see if there is a promlem or if I need to change anything,cost me $16.00.

I would think that hay either timothy, oat, grass, brome etc would help a lot in this situation . the fresh grass and greenscan create loose poops in addition to the sweets

At her age, she should have a large amount of pellets, so don't cut them out completely. It may be time to start cutting back for her, to her adult pellet ration.

That poop just looks like a normal cecal to me, so I'd just cut back on the pellets a bit. Maybe try to find a probiotic like Bene-Bac or Probios.

rabbits have two types of droppings::.fecal pellets-(day poops)- and cecotropes (which are night poops).and are digested directly from the anus,soas to control/aid the good flora of the gi tract,.your pictures indicate these,..unless what you mean is these poops are not eaten,instead disguarded as well as the fecal pellets,-then there is a problem??,.sincerely james waller

She usually eats them though some times she forgets them. I've cut down on her pellets a little bit, I'm always trying to make sure she's eating well.

Latest posts

Back