Abnormal behavior on the 19th and 24th - Coincidence?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
I noticed on the 19th that Jasmine was in her litterbox laying down, something she doesn't do. I scooted her out since I had to clean it and didn't want her laying in messy litter, so she went under her 'cave'(top of the pet store cage she hides under)and stretched out. As I was feeding everyone shedidn't come to eat her pellets like usual and had moved to the other side of her cave and looked uncomfortable. I gave her an hour or two before breaking out the gas meds, but she hadn't eaten any of her pellets, veggies or the piece of apple I gave her. I treated her for gas and gave her some baby gas meds and that was fine. In the morning she had gone back to her normal self so I figured it was gas or just an off night.

Now tonight as I was feeding everyone, Pebbles didn't come to the dish like usual but stayed under her shelf. I went to go see her and she didn't come greet me with a grunt, like usual so I was concerned but thought she was just tired. That was at about 10, and she hadn't eaten any of her pellets or veggies when I went down there to check on her at 12:30. She was sitting in her litterbox and did poop, but I figured it was better to be safe in case it was gas and give her a bit of meds. So I wrapped her up and gave her some of the gas meds and she was fine with that. I'll have to see in the morning if she's eaten supper.

It's probably just a coincidence, but I make note of these things in case it's something the matter. Iam very attentive to details, andcan pick up issues very easily, andboth times I've sensedsomething not right withthe girls.Bruno and Poppy are fine. The only thing I think might have caused this that comes to mind at the moment is that since it's spring break and there's been time changes because I've been sleeping in, it might have thrown them off? I've also been working on bonding (not so much over these last couple days, my last session was on the 18th? I believe?) so the stress might have led to gas attacks? I've been feeding the same hay for a month now, and my pellets are fresh.

Just thought I would post something for my own record and to see what people think about it. Sorry for the length, don't want to miss out on anything!

I'd be more suspicious of the veggies and keep track of what they got, how much of it they ate, and where and when you purchased them.

Pipp has never had a problem with broccoli, but I gave her what looked like a fresh, clean piece and she got gas. I noticed on another piece from the same head that there werehidden blackish rotted bits under the bright green tops. (The next time she got broccoli, and ever since, she eats it from the stem right up to where the flowers start and leave the very tops. Smart bunny, good memory). ;) I've had the same thing happen with parsley.

I can give Dill threestems of cilantro, he's fine, but I can't give him six, he'll have a gas attack. I can give them broccoli, cauliflower, kale and cabbage, but not all at the same time.

Andever since hearing about e-coli in spinach and something worse I think in green onions, I'm at least mildly suspicious of all produce, anyway.

Although it's unlikely to bethe pellets or the hay, it's logical that abad spot can be found in bitbut not another, although that's just a guess.

All sorts of possiblities!

Good on you forkeeping track. Hopefully it won't continue to be a problem.

sas :bunnydance:

Wow Sas!! That is definitely one smart rabbit you've got there, remembering not to eat the flower part of brocolli because of one incident...

Don't mess with Pipp! She will remember what you do to her....:shock:

Tracy

Thanks!

Pebbles ate her veggies and pellets from last night, so that's good!

It could be the veggies, I think I'll look through what I have and maybe just to be safe throw it out (I don't have much left). Mom's getting some freshveggies from the place I usually get it from so hopefully I won't have a problem with it. I did get the last bunch from a produce stand I don't usually go, so that might have been it?

I'll keep an eye on everyone, hopefully I won't see it again though.

Back