A true miracle has happened...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
It's amazing and I'm still in shock and awe.

3 days ago, I cleaned out Beckham the mousie's tank much. I cleaned it well and put him back in it. And I forgot to feed him. And for 3 days, I've been so busy, I assumed he had food and didn't worry about it. Last night, I found him in a corner of his tank, laying on his side. I had a feeling he was dead, or very close to it. And I was right. I pulled his tank off the shelf and was horrified whenI saw that his bowl was still wiped clean and not one seed was in his tank. I wanted to scream and cry. After everything he's been through, I had ended his life because I was too busy to remember to feed him.

So I opened his tank and picked him up. He was ICE COLD. He litterally felt like an ice cube. He was barely awake and completely limp. He was also barely breathing and his tail and feet were pure pale white. And the skin on his back was tinted blue. I felt so guilty, I couldn't even think.

I ran and got some nutri-cal and tried to get him to take some. He let it dribble out of his mouth, but I kept hoping that he had gotten just a drop or two to raise his blood sugar. For hours aftewards, he still didn't move. He just layed on the bottom of the tank barely breathing and looking like he was just about to die. He was also still just as pale.

I filled his bowl to the top with seeds and I set him on top of it. He just layed there motionless and I knew I'd find him dead this morning. I prayed to God that if he was meant to live to let him pull through. And if not, to let him go peacefully and painlessly.

About 2am, I could've SWORN I heard Beckham's squeaky little wheel going. I heard it only for a brief second and then it dissapeared. I chalked it up to wishful thinking and being half-asleep, so I went back to sleep. At 7am, I heard that wheel going 50 mph. I got up and looked, and Beckham was alert, active and running around like nothing had happened! He ran to the glass, looked at me, and then jumped on his wheel as if to say "Hey Mom, look! I'm feeling better!"

I thanked the Lord and was so thrilled to see that he had pulled through! What he went through last night and to make it through and be like he is this morning is a true miracle. I'll never forget to check his food bowl again!

Aw, glad to hear the little guy's doing well now.

We have the opposite problem with our hammie, Hazel. I think some days, Ally and I both feed her. I try to check and see if her "stash corner" is full, and some days it's really impressive! She is in a clear plastic tub cage I made for her, so I can usually see what she's stashed.

Hazeldoes something really gross. When she has a nice stash, she puts her poops all around it, up on the walls and everything. Silly girl, no one is going to steal your food!

Poor baby. Everyone makes mistakes. I admit it, I forgot to feed our dog for a couple of days. It happens. She never let me know, "hey mom! food here!". I felt completely horrible. The nutrical and God saved the day. And i'm sure you wont ever forget him again.

Snuggy's Mom that's the same as us with our hammies, there's days I'm sure they get fed 3 times!:rollseyes But one of them, Jerry, stashes it all in his bed/house thing, when we clean it out, more that half of it is filled with food!:rofl: Crazy little man...

MBH, that is one amazing story, I'm so pleased he pulled through:colors:, he's real little trooper isn't he?

Wow MBH,that really is an amazing story!

cheryl

Wow, that is amazing!

I think we've all done something at one point of our lives like that. I've never had mice or gerbils or hamsters (what the heck are gerbils and hamsters anyway...). Once when I was a kid we had to pack up and go away for an emergency visit to an elderly relative who needed watching for a few days as she was getting suicidel after the death of a husband, and we'd organised some friends of ours to come and get our pregnant cat and watch her for a few days. Well someone forgot to leave the key to house for them and the cat was shut inside for about 3 days. She delivered her babies, and survived those few days with no food.

I remember being so angry at mum that I punched her in the leg and had a huge temper tantrum :foreheadsmack:, I was only about 6 though.

Those little guys can dehydrate and get so weak so quickly!

I'm very happy you found him and that he's doing great!

Sometimes those squeaky wheels get on your nerves but sometimes - like now - it's the best sound in the world! :cool:

I once put both of my mice into hibernation :lookaroundNot intentionally, of course, we had a cold snap overnight and the heater didn't kick on. I found them cold and unmoving, and as I was getting ready put them in a box for burial I saw slight movements :shock:

After just a few minutes in our hands they had warmed up enough to eat, drink, and start running around. I can't believe I almost laid them to rest :thud:

They recover sooo fast, it's truly amazing. Glad to hear Beckham is doing well :)

I never really had a pet mouse until Jingle came to me...

Isuedto work at a pet store and sometimes my boss would just give me crap for free. Like dog treats and feeder critters.

Well...I had a MASSIVE black pacu. Like...zoo-sized. About the size od a full grown mini-lop. Upon his death he weighed nearly 4 pounds. But I just had a bathroom scale, I don't know how accurate it was. My favorite fish of all time, Bowen was the sweetest piranha ever, and LOVED To be petted and always wore a smile!

He ate mice. Yes, live mice. Though I usually just fed him 2 dozen large goldfish every few days...and he would go through ALL of them in under 2 minutes. Then sleep. naptime.

So i'm at pet store and I see our feeder mouse tank has a very very tiny little orange mouse. I think...perfect fish food size. So Dave let me have him and I took him hoem and put him in Bowen's Tank....I don't let them suffer, he usuallyget to them within 10 seconds. I sat down at my computer right next tot he tank for some chatting. I hear SNAP! GULP! And I figure the mouse is dead, I look over, no mouse...content fish. I figure he's been eated and that's that.

About an hour later CRASH! FLOP!....a little orange mouse falls from the top of my computer desk (I have one of those big desks with the high shelf on top...how'd he get there?) onto my arm. And just looks up at me like '' I MADE IT!'' then he curls into a ball and ...it....was so cute. So I decided he had a will to live and was adorable so I put him in my empty 35 callon aquarium. Yes, the mouse penthouse. ID idn't have mouse food...so I just mixed corn and sunflower seeds and put a little honey on top. I figured it'd work. Well, he ate a lot. And shredded anything I put in there. I had him for a good while, but he died while I was on vacation. I guess my sister fell in love with him during that time. She's 6, she absolutely refused to go near him when I offered to let her pet him, and while i'm in San Diego mum tells me Hannah carries Jingles around in a box all the time and talks to him. weird. ok .

So thats the story of Jingles the almost pacu-food.

The End.
-JAK

Latest posts

Back