A sad question...:(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoralover

Reaction score
I have a really imporatantquestion that I have been wondering about...do rabbits get killed forthere fur? Or do they just cut there fur off and let it grow again? Iwas shopping yesterday and I saw this pink fur coat...and well...ITHOUGHT it was fake but when I tried it on...and felt the fur...it feltlike my rabbit:shock:I took off the jaket and ran to one ofthe cashiers to ask if it was real or not....THEY SAID YES!!!!!:shock:I WAS SOOO MAD!!!:X I don't know how many times I was yelling "OH MYGOD! EWWW!" The jacket didn't have any skin (suede) on it oranything...it just had rabbit fur stuck on to a sweater. Do you thinkthey killed a rabbit for that jacket? Or just shaved a rabbits fur offand stuck it onto a sweater? It is just really bothering menow:(I am never putting on a fur jacket again! AND DEFINETELYNEVER GOING TO BUY ONE!!! Its sooo unfair for animals!:XI'veseen some stores with real snake skin belts also:(Itsterrible:XHere is a picture of the pink furjacket:X

That kind of fur coat yes it is thefunandskin of the bun. the skin is covered by the liner of thecoat. however if you were to rip the coat open youwould see the skin on the inside. There are some crafters who maketeddy bears and such out of the very old fur coats. recyclingthem. If you found aperson who makes theese, I would thinkthey would be willing to show you the inside of a coat, under theliner. A fur coat was hte thing to have 50 years or so ago.

but on the other hand if it were a knit sweater with angora in it,those rabbits are shaved and or pluckedplucked, then the thefur spun, and the bun lives to grow another coat of long fur.

Knitted items are made from wool harvested fromAngora rabbits -- the rabbits are plucked or sheared (much like sheep),so for those items the rabbit is not killed. Foritems such as fur trims, coats, toys, the rabbits are dispatched andtheir pelts are used.

In most cases, the primary purpose of the rabbits being processed isfor the meat, and the pelts are sold as a secondary market. Most rabbitproducts are imported from foreign countries -- there is only amoderate supply here in the US due to the costs of running a commercialrabbitry.

Pam

Thanks for the info...thathelps a lot. I have a French angora rabbit myself...so its sort ofscary to hear bout this stuff. From now on I'm going to be looking atfake fur coats. Thanks.

Cassandra

Sneakers and Boots is the only thing I wear ofleather. I cant help it from where I live tho when It getscold or rainy these are the best things to wear I've tried other thingsbut just didn't keep me dry enough on the feet.

Other then that even tho I do wear those things making me hypocriticalin sorts I wear nothing else tailored by animals hides orfur. I stopped wearing makeup because of the testing done onanimals.

Im not a vegen by far and I do believe in killing for food and if youcan do things with the other parts to make the animal that had to diemore useful I guess I cant think of the right word for it then thatsfine.

When I was younger I went to my aunties house the night before a partyand saw a piggy in her yard so I immediatly went over and talked to thepiggy told it how cute it was and tried to feed it hay. Thefollowing morning I woke up to help her cook for the party and I wentout to see the piggy and it was gone. I asked my auntie what happenedto it and she told me that they were cooking it. I wasSOOOOOOOO upset and wouldn't eat any meat that day. Again Imnot a vegetarian I do eat meat but I dont want to see it or evensocialize with it in anyway before its cooked!

Marie

Some people who have seen these rabbits farmedfor such purposes have told me that the rabbits are trimmed (often cutin the process) with buzzers for most of their life. Then they skinthem and eat the meat. The skin (along with fur) goes into things likethat jacket.

I love the angora sweaters but they are sooexpensive.they can be shorn but the best is plucked as it spins better.my neighbor is a spinner.she used to raise bunnies for thewool.bluebird

bluebird wrote:
Ilove the angora sweaters but they are soo expensive.they can be shornbut the best is plucked as it spins better .my neighbor is aspinner.she used to raise bunnies for the wool.bluebird

I have a white angora sweater...its VERY warm..butI find it sort of annoying to wear because I always see little "puffs"of fur coming off of it or sometimes they end upin mymouth:pAnd just to give you a warning with what to wear withangora sweaters: DO NOT WEAR VELVET PANTS WITH ANGORA SWEATERS!!! Ionce wore these red vevlet pants with a white angora sweater and thefur from the sweater would stick all over my pants. Its SOOOANNOYING!!! LOL...I do find the bad quality angora rabbit fur sweatersto be itchy...but if you buy the angora sweaters that are in the$100-$400CND range the sweaters are really soft and aren't itchy atall....but if you just go to Wal-mart and buy this $40CND angorasweater, there is a good chance that the sweater would be itchy. Idon't know why there itchy:?I just find that cheap angorasweaters are itchy and thats what I learned from my experience withthem.

Cassandra

Latest posts

Back