A Question about Holland and Mini Lops?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikoli

Reaction score
Yes, well, this may sound a little stupid, but what is the difference between a Holland Lop and a Mini Lop? They look similar, and seem to be around the same sort of size, build etc. I always thought they were different breeds, until I read somewhere that someone said that they were both the same breed ... Huh?

This is mainly out of curiosity, I'm not looking for a new rabbit or anything (unfortunately ;))

Rachel. :D

In the USA, holland lops are ourminilops, but in Australia a minilop is much smaller than our dwarf lops, my little girl Lulu is a mini lop andweighs just 1.8kg,while my dwarf lops weigh more, and when little Lulu lays next to another bunny she looks so small

I'm sure someone else will be able to give you a better explaination though

cheryl

Holland lops and mini lops are two different breeds. I raise pedigreed show quality mini lops so I can guarentee this. Hollands are bout 4 pounds. Minis are 6 pounds. I'll send you the breed standards in a minute when I get the links.

Ok here's a link for the mini lop rabbit club of america. It is the national ARBA Club. http://minilop.org
and here's one for hollands http://www.hlrsc.com/ Also the ideal is more around 3 pounds not 4
The hollands are bout half the size of the minis and they have a different body frame. Just look at the pics on the breed chart at http://www.arba.net, You can distinctly see the difference.Any more question let me know. -Steph

In NZ, UK, AU, a mini lop is small, and should be rather like a holland lop. Ideal weight around 1.5kg. To make things confusing there is a US mini lop too which is larger...it's probably more like a very large dwarf lop to us from the aforementioned countries.

Thanks everybody! I was pretty sure that they were two different breeds, but I wasn't really sure of the differences between the two. Thanks for the links Jade and Honeysuckle! :)

Rachel.

Ok, not to hijack the thread, but now I am really confused about something. A guy called me and asked me to take a rabbit for him the other day because he was moving in two days and hadn't been able to find him a home. The rabbit turned out to be a little lop buck, which the owner called a mini lop. Of course, he got his info from the pet shop where he bought him, soooooo, we all know how much that means.
Anyway, this guy is about a year old, so full grown. Definatly realizing he is a he, now that he is around girls, too. This guy looks to have the heavy bone structure the minilop site was talking about, but only weighs 3 and a half pounds. I couldn't find anything on the mini lop site that gave a weight for them. Also, I had a rescue last year that I was told was a holland lop,(although she was bought at the same pet shop as this buck, soooo..)and she wieghed almost five pounds.
So hollands are smaller than minis, right/ can anyone give me a weight standard for those two breeds? Sorry for the long post!

Hollands also usually have a more smushed like face, flat and round while minis have a curved head with a nice round houd face.

Latest posts

Back